lol 20$ - 200$?

I mean you could make a LB1 inside a plastic radioshack housing if you want. Or you could go all out and make some really advance pedal. Maybe something like one of those OD pedals that actually have tubes in them.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
^what he said

simple pedals can be made very cheap, while more complex pedals are more expensive. start out with somthin' easy like a fuzzface or a simple boost pedal.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^fuzz faces are deceptively hard for a first build. Mine caused me a lot of trouble. I tried a MXR distortion +, which turned out to be fairly simple.
Something simple like an OD or booster can be 10 bucks if you go super cheap. The PNP germanium fuzz can set you back as the transistors are pretty steep. But the whole point of doing them yourself is to use better parts etc. Unless your going to learn to etch your own PC boards you will be stuck buying ready made ones.
Quote by supergerbil
^fuzz faces are deceptively hard for a first build. Mine caused me a lot of trouble. I tried a MXR distortion +, which turned out to be fairly simple.

really? wow. everyone says there so easy! ah, i like the distortion + anyway
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
dam biasing....

in that case, i say boost pedal. unless TS has an SS amp, which essentially kills the need for a boost...never heard of natural overdrive on an ss....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
The germaniums have alot of variation in specs. So 3 random transistors wont usually just work or sound good. You can buy a pile of em and test em to get some matching ones or pay for prematched ones. Whereas silicon and ICs are pretty tight in tolerance so one is pretty much the same as any other and the cost, silicon are about 50 cents each germanium are 5 dollars each. And the germanium stuff can get wierd when the temp goes up. I like using fets and mosfets for pedals but they can vary alot to so its best to use trimpots.
^+1

my fuzz pedal used some match pair transistors from smallbearelec.com. But they were still a little off. And it sounds really messed up. You could barely hear it and only when you strummed really hard you would get that "farty" kind of sound...

but I installed a couple of 10k trimmer pots on the two transistors and had to use that to dial in the sound i needed. But if you use silicon transistors they are so much more consistent that its typically not somehting you have to worry about
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
^ Only thing is if you want the old school hendrix fuzz the silicons dont do it very well. There are low gain silicon transistors that can be used but would need to experiment. I built a tube sound fuzz using the 4049 chip and it does pretty good. Doesnt sound good on my SS but sounds really good on my tube amp. And its really really loud for a pedal but as it uses FETs they tend to vary so another one might not be so loud.