Anybody fans of American roots music? Obviously blues, but also folk, country and even revilists like CCR and early (to a certain extant) Zeppelin. Mostly music from 1900s, 1920s etc. I thought this would be the best place to put this.
I don't fully understand what roots music actually is. Perhaps you could give a few examples and that would put it to rest.

Otherwise go and talk in the delta blues thread.

^Robert Johnson didn't change the face of blues until many years later, he wasn't trying to be a small time guitarist as we picture him, he was trying to be the Justin Timberlake or John Mayer of his era. However much we love him, his life is covered in the romanticism of the murky mississippi but he was living the high life and had travelled North as far as Canada it is thought. He certainly didn't have an easy upbringing, never knowing his father or having a particularly stable home but he didn't have the influence on blues music that Charley Patton, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Ma Rainey, Blind Blake, The Mississippi Sheiks and Son House did at the time. Blind Lemon Jefferson's records outsold Johnson's many times over, however the likes of Charley Patton and Son House were copied more often as their music was of a more danceable speed.
The Datsuns aren't a Zeppelin rip off, since when did Zeppelin play songs like MF From Hell and garage rock/punk? Anyway I'm gonna report you for spam unless you shut it.

I love Jug Band music, it's a mixture of piedmont blues, ragtime and jazz I guess.

Gus Cannon = awesome
Quote by nogun_forshogun
didn't Syd Barrett invent JugBand blues?

*reported*

that is enough dude, you've had your fun, now run along
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by nogun_forshogun
wtf did u report me? i was serious!

confused///

you were reported for attacking Gus for no reason, and not contributing at all to the topic
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
that video is awesome, i hadn't even ever heard of him, thanks for sharing
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
Roots music for the mutha****in win.

Not just American Roots music, though. Listen to some Rocksteady. That's some awesome stuff, as is Calypso.

I'm not a big ragtime fan, so can't help with that, but IIRC, Alan Lomax recorded some awesome drum and fife (not the military style, but bluesy style) stuff. I saw it on that Scorsese blues thing.

If you want some roots jazz, try some Bix Piderbeck (sp?).
Quote by imgooley
Roots music for the mutha****in win.

Not just American Roots music, though. Listen to some Rocksteady. That's some awesome stuff, as is Calypso.

(sp?).

Yeah, that stuffs great, but I mean mostly American roots music
well it sort of is, reggae and the like was slightly patterned after blues (and caribbean music) to an extent. Calypso started with african slaves, so it's also like a cousin of blues and such. It doesn't make much sense to say American roots music came from african slaves, but the music african slaves in the caribbean made is left out.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
I love blues roots stuff but you can't deny the awesomeness of "hillbilly" folk music like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gi5V6F_zPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wGgvbHcgyc&feature=related

Its called bluegrass.

Gotta love that sweet mountain bluegrass. Smells like moonshine!
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.