It's really annoying the shit out of me at this point. I have been playing/taking lessons for 1 year now and we are literally still at the same place music theory wise. Sheet music we are still doing the same crap over and over and are progressing ridiculously slow. Practicing crappy chord songs bore me. And improvising with him is repetitive and really getting old. We use the same backtracks/scales over and ****ing over. Seriously I'm sick of just playing blues all the damn time I wanna learn other scales too.

When I first started I practiced like crazy. Now the thought of practicing sheet music is demotivating for me. Because it makes me feel like I'm not progressing anymore. I have told him that I wanted to learn different scales. We would do it once and never do it again. I feel like this is what I should do. I feel like I can teach myself music theory. My friend use to take lessons from him. Now I fully understand why he also quit. I'll probably buy a MT book and just teach myself and move at my own pace.

Are these good reasons or am I just being a prick?
Time for a new teacher my friend.

I have a teacher like that; he's pretty much good for nothing, and I teach new techniques and theory myself from this website. HOWEVER, this teacher is good for one reason - he can teach me all the grade exams really well, and can show me exactly what to do for each piece etc. that would take me a lot longer to figure out myself.
generally i think lessons ruin your playing, cus guitar becomes like a chore and not a hobby.
Quit lessons and you'll become more active with the guitar.
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

i do guitar lessons well i have them and ive learned alot with the theory stuff
it is boring but u gotta do it
soz
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
Take your lightsaber and attack your teacher. Then take lessons from your friend Chancellor Palpatine!
Quote by Tezza_Larks
generally i think lessons ruin your playing, cus guitar becomes like a chore and not a hobby.

i will refrain from going on a rant

i quite enjoy my lessons and practice time i'll have you know, depends on your teacher

thats all
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
I'd say buy the book and teach yourself but also keep having lessons. I went through a stage with lessons where it felt like a chore to practise but I moved through it. Its all in your head. Everyone feels like this from time to time. Also, once I stopped having lessons I stopped practising regularly and my playing has suffered as a result so I don't agree with what Tezza_Larks said. However if you really must stop having this teacher then find a new one.
Last edited by G-Dog_666 at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by Tezza_Larks

I disagree. I've been teaching myself for about 2 and a half years and its to the point where i just want to play for fun so i repeat the same stuff over and over and don't get anywhere. I WANT to learn more but I can't mov\tivate myself to learn theory, so I'm looking for a teacher.

A teacher would give me a reason to learn, and motivate me to do so. But maybe its just different for different cases and people :P
I'm Tyler
Definitely drop the teacher, and start playing the guitar for fun.

I never saw a reason to get lessons. Guitar is one of the rare things in life that is good fun no matter how good you are at it, and no one relies on you to reach a certain skill level (unless you are in a band). If you screw up its no big deal, you can just try again and keep enjoying the song you are playing.

Guitar should be something fun, not something to dread. By seeing the guitar as a fun hobby rather than a boring lesson you will play more and get better anyways.

ps- whats wrong with playing the blues all the time?
Quote by Octtwe88
I disagree. I've been teaching myself for about 2 and a half years and its to the point where i just want to play for fun so i repeat the same stuff over and over and don't get anywhere. I WANT to learn more but I can't mov\tivate myself to learn theory, so I'm looking for a teacher.

A teacher would give me a reason to learn, and motivate me to do so. But maybe its just different for different cases and people :P

learn new songs, try new techniques, etc. You shouldnt have to motivate yourself to play guitar, it should be something you do solely for fun.
Quote by Octtwe88

I found that even if I didn't practise what I was supposed to I aways learned or practised something every week in between lessons. I'm planning on having lessons again once I get a job as I can't afford them right now.

TS, if you've got a shit load of will power, discipline and patience then by all means quit your lessons and teach yourself. If you haven't got those 3 things I suggest keeping the lessons.