Is there such an amp? A friend is in the market, but I don't know of anything like this for under $500. He could probably find something used in that price range.
What kinda music?
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
valveking, used classic 30, fender blues junior, peavey windsor, crate v-18 v-33 v-50, im sure theres a lot more
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Crate V50
I paid 250 CDN, 50 watts tube, 1x12", effects loop

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Used Peavey classic 30? I forget how much they are new, but it could be less than 500. i know theyre found used for 400, easily.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Light rock/Christian rock mostly. Something that will do good cleans and a decent crunch tone.

I told him maybe a used Classic 30 or a used Hot Rod, can't think of anything else off hand. There would be lots of choices if he didn't have to have the FX loop.
Quote by hunter33
Light rock/Christian rock mostly. Something that will do good cleans and a decent crunch tone.

I told him maybe a used Classic 30 or a used Hot Rod, can't think of anything else off hand. There would be lots of choices if he didn't have to have the FX loop.

seriously, tell him to check out the V50, the clean is amazing, and the second chanel has a nice crunch to it...

Crate has a bad rep with some, but I love mine and I tested the Valvekind, Vox, Fender, and overall the V50 was the best buy

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by hunter33
I thought the Blues Jr. and Crate V-series don't have effects loops?

not all the V series do, the V50 and I think the V33 212 do, the V18 doesn't if my memory serves me well

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I haven't played one but lots of ppl here at UG say they have nice tone. If the V50 or 33 have an effects loop they might work. I'll try to find some specs online. Thanks
Quote by hunter33

A Blackheart Handsome Devil would have been if it had an effects loop lol
Quote by hunter33
I haven't played one but lots of ppl here at UG say they have nice tone. If the V50 or 33 have an effects loop they might work. I'll try to find some specs online. Thanks

That is really the best thing to do. The Valveking meets your specs.
I say go V50. Problem is they're back ordered. Mine will be arriving tomorrow =). I ordered it 4 weeks ago. But hey thats 200$ under your limit, leaving money for pedals or what have you.