Poll: Which Guitar Should I Buy For Metal and Classic Rock?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Guitar Should I Buy For Metal and Classic Rock?
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
28 41%
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
40 59%
Voters: 68.
Page 1 of 2
Hello UG,Its me Th3 M3tal and im hear to tell you im buying a new guitar and i need youre guys help.With youre help,youll make my decision making life easier .Well hear are the guitars.Im A Rythym Guitarist playing with my friend now but i use a acoustic when i play with him lol,he really wants me to get a electric guitar and so do I .(P.S-I Play Thrash Metal(Metallica) and Classic Rock (GnR,Van Halen.ect).

Owned Equipment:
AMP:Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo Amp (Ordered As of 9/11,Will be shipped next week)

Distortion Pedal:Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal

The Guitars (Picks Made By Me and Will Be Bought After Opinions Are Made):

1st Guitar:Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Electric Guitar Gray/Black Tremelo (Awesome Tone Ftw )

2nd Guitar:Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX Electric Guitar (I Like Quilt Maple Top Guitars ALOT with a cherry black finish,Tested it out in Guitar Center,Which is when i wanted it :cool

Well Those are the guitars.NoteO NOT SUGGEST ANY OTHER GUITARS INSTEAD OF THSES TWO!! Sorry but got to make my point clear.Well see ya guys later.Any Profanity or spam will be reported.See Ya.
Last edited by Th3 M3tal at Sep 11, 2008,
Take back the amp.

I absolutely hate Les Pauls, so I'm saying the PRS.

EDIT: Don't buy the PRS because of 'awesome tone FTW', it's impossible to get an awesome tone out of the Spider III, unless you're... no, it's impossible.
Quote by Chaosinborn
Why did you buy that amp? Go return it right now.

replace it with a valve king
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
lol well that was a waste of money,thx for the help guys.Ill return it tommorow and get a valve king i guess......
definitely the PRS, even though its one of their low end models they are pretty sweet, but seriously return the amp and get a decent tube amp.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by Th3 M3tal
lol well that was a waste of money,thx for the help guys.Ill return it tommorow and get a valve king i guess......

if you really like it, keep it.. line6 is too "fuzzy" personally. The valve king has a smoother sound
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Dont return your amp just cuase someone else said too. If you like it, thats all that matters.....that being said, your amps sucks you should return it.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
The Prs. but like everyone else is saying. get rid of your amp is garbage. you can get a better sound out of a wet butthole on a steamy sunday afternoon.
wow lol thanks for the support Hl rocker......I think

edit:You guys got any suggestions for new amp,just post the link and i will refer to it
I always thought the cubes where kinda crap too. VK's are kinda pricy in comparison, but mine was more than worth the money
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Yeh, it would be stupid to buy the 212. The 112 is plenty loud enough for playing at home, and pretty much any gig your going to get....and even if you needed to play a larger venue, you can always just mic the amp. The 112 is just a rip off IMO
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
wow...I live in hornlake. might have to check that out.
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
Dont return your amp just cuase someone else said too. If you like it, thats all that matters.....that being said, your amps sucks you should return it.

that made my day....

And yea a Valveking will work for ya.. Go with the 112...
peavey valveking 112 just got ordered,thanks guys for the help.Now what to do with the line 6.........if only we could blow up amps with a firecrackers lol.I guess im gonna have to drive back to guitar center to return.Well thanks agian guys
Quote by Th3 M3tal
peavey valveking 112 just got ordered,thanks guys for the help.Now what to do with the line 6.........if only we could blow amps lol.I guess im gonna have to drive back to guitar center to return.Well thanks agian guys

Thats a bit too much info there buddy... Dont ask dont tell....
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 11, 2008,
lol, your lucky. I upgraded to a VK from my spider3, but I couldn't just take it back to the store cuase I bought it used ...still tryin to sell that thing.
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Keep an eye on craigslist, I see those VK-112's go for $225. I like that amp although many don't. Can you get to Memphis? I'm sure there are used VK's sitting around in the shops. Memphis is a good city for used gear. I saw Horn Lake so I posted that V, pretty sweet for the cash actually - usually I only rec amps but that caught my eye, and I'm not a huge metal guy by any means.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
He said he already ordered a VK....buy yeh you can find great deals on craigslist, thats actualy where I got my VK from.
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
srry dude but its already ordered,and im about ready to go take my amp back to guitar center.Thanks for the idea though,ill go to craigs list more often.

EDIT:Just returned the amp back to guitar center,its really funny because when i went back,the store clerk told me "did i sell you this piece of crap" lol.Well i guess ill get the valveking next week.thansk agian for the help.
Just got the amp (i thought it was gonna come in next week,guess not )and tested it out with one of my friends guitar and i have to say,you guys made me look like a dumbass for buying that line 6.Thanks alot
I'd get the LP prophecy out of those 2, but if you want metal I'd get the EX asa it has emg's
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Congrats, sorry I didn't notice you had made the deal. Now go get that V dammit! Wow, at least go try it, it is in your home town. Wasn't that thing secksy? Funny what the guy said, POS spider, see - even he admitted it!!!

And from all of us at UG, thanks for listening!
THX for the comments guyas,just keep it rolling,this thread wont die till christmas since that is when i get my pay check for either of the guitars.So KEEP ON VOTING so that when it is time,i know what to pick

EDIT:I will post pictures of guitar when bought.
Quote by Th3 M3tal
THX -
EDIT:I will post pictures of guitar when bought.

Post yer amp in this thread. It's the outcome. But keep us posted on the guitar and let us know. (when you bring home that V)... cough...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
cant go wrong with a Schecter C1

but if you MUST get one of the ones you listed,... PRS. just make sure you try them out first
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by gregs1020
Post yer amp in this thread. It's the outcome. But keep us posted on the guitar and let us know. (when you bring home that V)... cough...

Well currently,my amp is being used by my brother......i hate him soo much .I guess ill post one tommorow since hell be playing all night.....he really loves that amp......tooo much.......im starting to hate tubes now because of him lol (Jk)
good morning guys,i hope today i get as many post as i did yetrday for this thread.Like i said,i need everyones vote till poll closes at christmas.
guys im starting to think to include the Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy EX and FX in The Poll.If only i could......I heard the Epiphone Prophecy FX is a pretty good combination with the valve king (since im a rythym guitarist).In other new,Both have great distorting capabilities and i have gotten info that both are awesome for metal and classic rock.

What do you guys think?

EDIT-My Brother Has A Schecter C-1 FR,he wont let me use it though,so basically hes a dueche
The epiphone feels kind of unbalanced, and its tone is a bit harsh. Not the smooth tone you'd expect from a Les Paul. The neck feels weird, too. It's narrow, but thick, almost cylindrical. The satin finish on it is also rather...queer.

The PRS Custom owns it in terms of tone, quality and feel.
Quote by sashki
The epiphone feels kind of unbalanced, and its tone is a bit harsh. Not the smooth tone you'd expect from a Les Paul. The neck feels weird, too. It's narrow, but thick, almost cylindrical. The satin finish on it is also rather...queer.

The PRS Custom owns it in terms of tone, quality and feel.

Good point dude.Btw im in love with les paul designed guitars (Cutaways),so i was wondering instead of the SE Custom,Would The SE Single Cut/Ebony Finish/Tremelo be that same as a custom or would there be differences.Like i said,I love single cut guitars.
If you like single cutaways then get the PRS SE Singlecut. It's the same as the Custom, just single cutaway (obvious) and with a slightly carved top instead of the flat one.
Overall it's much better quality than the Epi; the only good thing about them is the pickups, the rest is pretty meh.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
my vote is the prs, but you got alot of spelling mistakes in there
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by Mahoru
If you like single cutaways then get the PRS SE Singlecut. It's the same as the Custom, just single cutaway (obvious) and with a slightly carved top instead of the flat one.
Overall it's much better quality than the Epi; the only good thing about them is the pickups, the rest is pretty meh.

Thanks alot man,now all i need to know is if i have the valveking,can i play metal (or classical rock) with this guitar and amp combination or would i need to get a pedal?
Last edited by Th3 M3tal at Sep 13, 2008,
Page 1 of 2