http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=8&TempID=9&DepartmentID=1&STRID=174742&CategorySubID=132&CategoryID=132&BrandID=1405&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=2&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true
Is this any good? I know almost nothing of guitar amps, and currently have a (I think) a 15 watt Fender. I don't know the exact make or anything, because technically it isn't even mine.

So does anyone have any experience with it? I play stuff like pop-punk (Paramore, Jimmy Eat World, ect.)
Right now, I'd be playing a squire strat with it, but later possibly an Epi LP or a PRS

Also, what wattage would be gig worthy?
Quote by JDD331
A juggalo? Pokedex that ****.....what are they? like clowns...wannabes?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Sigh... We have about 10 of these threads each day.

No, it's not good at all. It's an oversized practice amp. Marshalls are pathetic until you start getting really expensive.

As for wattage, that doesn't really equal volume. A 50w solid state will be about twice as loud as a 10w solid state, if they're the same model. Tube amps are alot louder, a 5w tube (example, Epiphone Valve Junior) can get about as loud as a 40w solid state.

I'd recommend looking around for a used tube combo, probably around 20-30w's, and then come back and tell us what it is. But more importantly, play through it, and tell us if you like it or not.

Or the Peavey Valveking's are alright, as well as the Peavey Vipyrs (however you spell it). I also endorse Laneys.
Last edited by BGSM at Sep 11, 2008,
50W is plenty to gig with, unless your playing stadiums. people on this site hate mg's, but they're pretty good imo.
Last edited by yomoma21 at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by HighPotency
That is a bad amp. MGs are a bad investment generally.
I'd recommend:

- Peavey Vypr combo
- Vox Valvetronix combo
- Peavey valveking combo
- Roland cube

he recommends well...also your '08 les paul, is that the new standard? cause im wondering how the new lp plays...
Dont worry about getting a gig worthy amp for now...you'll have plenty of t ime to upgrade later. And just for the record, Paramore is not pop/punk, I'd call it powerpop at best.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
The best word I can think of to describe the sound of a Marshall MG is "abortion."
Absoloutely DISGUSTING.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=13&TempID=4&DepartmentID=1&STRID=181438&CategorySubID=132&CategoryID=132&BrandID=0&CategorySubPriceRangeID=5&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

I'd recommend this.
And 30-50 solid state watts would be fine for small gigs, and then get the venue to mic it up for bigger ones.
Quote by Dream Pin
The best word I can think of to describe the sound of a Marshall MG is "abortion."
Absoloutely DISGUSTING.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=13&TempID=4&DepartmentID=1&STRID=181438&CategorySubID=132&CategoryID=132&BrandID=0&CategorySubPriceRangeID=5&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

I'd recommend this.
And 30-50 solid state watts would be fine for small gigs, and then get the venue to mic it up for bigger ones.

Recommend fail. You just called MGs "abortions" and linked him to an MG mini stack. Which is an ever bigger waste of money.
you'll probably want atleast 50w to be heard over the drummer + have decent headroom.

I don't think the MG series is as bad as everyone says, I've seen demos on youtube, seems pretty good, but I've never tried it in person.

People opinions on here are good & all, but just cause they say it sucks, doesn't mean you shouldn't get it, if you like it, who gives a **** what these people say?
Quote by HLrocker
Dont worry about getting a gig worthy amp for now...you'll have plenty of t ime to upgrade later. And just for the record, Paramore is not pop/punk, I'd call it powerpop at best.

I don't get all technical with the genre names
I'm not just starting out to let you know, I've been playing guitar/bass for about 2 years

Anyways, looking at the Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, how big is it?
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by Swap-Meet
I don't think the MG series is as bad as everyone says, I've seen demos on youtube, seems pretty good, but I've never tried it in person.

Then don't give this opinion. Youtube demos are a terrible showcase of amps. The compression always makes bad amps sound decent and doesn't give good amps enough credit. Seriously, try one out in person, you'll regret that you ever wasted your time looking at the Youtube demos.

MG's crap out at larger volumes, the MG100's sound their best at around 4 (Or I could be more accurate, and say 0). The clean channel is completely sterile, the EQ is very unresponsive, and the 2 overdrive / distortion channels are fizzy, and have no definition. They are really expensive for what they are. The effects are cheezy, and sound terrible. You need bucket loads of reverb to even attempt to sound a bit smooth, rather than a grainy prick-like sound. And aswell as all of that, it buzzes like a bitch.

There we go, and honest opinion of someone who has hated MG's before he even got onto UG. I have had to play through many of them at school, and they're terrible.
Last edited by BGSM at Sep 11, 2008,
Oops, forgot about my budget.
$500 at the most, but I'm trying to keep it as close to $400 as I can
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Then get that classic 30 and a bad monkey, your under $350 with an upgrade in tone over the MG that I can't begin to describe...

There is a crate bloo voodoo too that some people like for metal. Some don't it's a taste/preference thing. $350 obo.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 11, 2008,
How does the Vox AD50VT compare to the AD100VTXL? It's only $50 more
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by HighPotency
Recommend fail. You just called MGs "abortions" and linked him to an MG mini stack. Which is an ever bigger waste of money.

Odd, I copied and pasted a link to a Roland Cube 30!

*Shrug* I just checked the link and it was fine.
Issue with that website probably. Idk.
Quote by BGSM
Then don't give this opinion. Youtube demos are a terrible showcase of amps. The compression always makes bad amps sound decent and doesn't give good amps enough credit. Seriously, try one out in person, you'll regret that you ever wasted your time looking at the Youtube demos.

MG's crap out at larger volumes, the MG100's sound their best at around 4 (Or I could be more accurate, and say 0). The clean channel is completely sterile, the EQ is very unresponsive, and the 2 overdrive / distortion channels are fizzy, and have no definition. They are really expensive for what they are. The effects are cheezy, and sound terrible. You need bucket loads of reverb to even attempt to sound a bit smooth, rather than a grainy prick-like sound. And aswell as all of that, it buzzes like a bitch.

There we go, and honest opinion of someone who has hated MG's before he even got onto UG. I have had to play through many of them at school, and they're terrible.

For the price they're not worth it, but if you can find them for 100-200$ used, I think it's probably worth it, I know a few friends that have them, and are REALLY happy with what they have.

but I think new they go for 500-700$ (MG-100's), which doesn't seem like they're worth it.
Quote by Swap-Meet
Very true, but a good idea before playing a gig is to play with your band, and you need a decent ammount of wats to be heard over your drummer when you jam with your band.

I can overpower the entire band I'm in when we practise (If I want to )
I use a 15w amp.

Watt =/= Volume
Last edited by JilaX^ at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by gregs1020
OK, seriously, what is your budget? I got genre from what you listen to (profile) and location. But budget please...

Because this would be waaaaay better for $285...Classic 30 tweed... http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/808095349.html
Or this bad ass half stack for $300...
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/834642891.html

^This

New, maybe a Peavey Valveking or Vypyr (not played the latter yet)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^This

New, maybe a Peavey Valveking or Vypyr (not played the latter yet)

I know... A tweed Classic 30 for $285.

:stickpoke