Is a great song by the foo fighters.
I also want a pedal that overdrives my amp. I'm considering a couple of pedals (basically anything around the $150 range). I've also thought of running a distortion pedal along with the gain of my gain channel, and turning the gain down, and output way up to kinda act as an overdrive, but with a bit more gain, and obviously a bit different flavor to put my amp over the top.

I've made a small list. Please note that the OD-9 isn't on there because i actually prefer the sound of the OD-808 over the OD-9.
Basically, i have an idea that I'm going to order some pedals off MF until i find the one i like, as they aren't available anywhere near me. And return shipping is probably cheaper than gas to get to the closest shop to me anyway.

OD-808 maxon
Satchurator
Carl Martin Rock Drive
Carl Martin Heavy Drive
MI Audio Crunch Box

Certainly open to ANY suggestions. I would totally go used too. I've heard the BB preamp pedal is really good, but at new pricing it's out of my range. But hey, i'm open to anything.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Fulltone OCD, best you can get, you can easily get one for 150 used.

also consider other boutique OD's, try www.tonefactor.com, check the overdrive section, lots of llovely boutique on there.

OCD would sound lovely through your traynor
Quote by ClementWave

also consider other boutique OD's, try www.tonefactor.com, check the overdrive section, lots of llovely boutique on there.

Will it tighten up me bottom end?

Quote by ghold125
Maxon od9

Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Ghold125
why you face palming me?

Please note that the OD-9 isn't on there because i actually prefer the sound of the OD-808 over the OD-9.

It's cool if you didn't read it though. I just like the OD-808 a bit more for some reason.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I actually just bought a NEW Fulltone OCD for $136. Straight from fulltone. If you check out their page they have "blemished" pedals for discount prices. Although even if you want a new one (so you can return it) they're still in your price range.

From what I've played and heard from others, you'd never want to return it. Mine arrives tomorrow! Teeheeheee.
Quote by ClementWave

+10000
First thing I thought of was the OCD
Quote by mcrfobtai
+10000
First thing I thought of was the OCD

but how much will it tighten up my low end?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Primetime replies?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Surprisingly enough the Digitech Bad Monkey has beat out anything I have tested when it comes to output level and tightening... But if your looking at using one by actually engaging the gain knob then that is a different story.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Surprisingly enough the Digitech Bad Monkey has beat out anything I have tested when it comes to output level and tightening... But if your looking at using one by actually engaging the gain knob then that is a different story.

+1, I love mine. Also, the Satchurator is a distortion pedal, not an overdrive.

You might want to check out some actual tube overdrives (used Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor (supposedly could use a tube swap, though) Blackstar HT, Rocktron Silver Dragon) because they're within your pricerange.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
+1, I love mine. Also, the Satchurator is a distortion pedal, not an overdrive.

You might want to check out some actual tube overdrives (used Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor (supposedly could use a tube swap, though) Blackstar HT, Rocktron Silver Dragon) because they're within your pricerange.

I know the satchurator is a distortion pedal, but i can figuratively run the gain low, output high and achieve the same basis as an OD pedal.
I could look for a H&K tube factor, but from what i hear the rocktron line of pedals is pretty low build quality.
And i tried a blackstar HT pedal, and it sounded absolutely disgusting. I am completely turned off by them, and i don't understand how anyone could like them. I was literally embarressed to play them.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
I know the satchurator is a distortion pedal, but i can figuratively run the gain low, output high and achieve the same basis as an OD pedal.
I could look for a H&K tube factor, but from what i hear the rocktron line of pedals is pretty low build quality.
And i tried a blackstar HT pedal, and it sounded absolutely disgusting. I am completely turned off by them, and i don't understand how anyone could like them. I was literally embarressed to play them.

Had the same experiance with the Blackstar's they are a truly horrid pedal.... Even the guy trying to sell it to me was shaking his head saying man this thing sucks.
Quote by kool98769

The Tube Factor is awesome. If you want perfect transparency in driving your amp, get one.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by kool98769

What about a English Muff'n if you want more EQ control?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kpS5vEKYrI
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Had the same experiance with the Blackstar's they are a truly horrid pedal.... Even the guy trying to sell it to me was shaking his head saying man this thing sucks.

Granted, the one i tried was their tube distortion pedal, but it was so undynamic it was embarressing.

But i think i might check ebay to see if i can find a bad monkey for dirt cheap, because i really can't go wrong at that price.

But yeah, i'm liking the idea of an OCD.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
The Boss SD1 is a nice tight overdrive pedal with fairly good crunch. It works best with a fat sound sounding amp that is cranked enough so the power tubes are overdriven. I prefered the sd1 with my Traynor YCV20 over the bad monkey. It is much cheaper then the other stuff you are looking at but worth a try for the price. You may like it or you may not. It is hard for me here in Finland to find stuff like the Fulltones localy so I have not the been able to try them. The MXR distortion+ also trims some fatness from the bottom end and tightens up the amp a bit but it kind of has a sweet spot and can be a bit fizzy with to much gain and dull with not enough gain. In the end I modded my YCV20 so the amp would be tighter with humbuckers but it still needs some more work to get it where I want it. I did try an equaliser pedal with the YCV20 and I need to use that when I engage the boost to stop it sounding too fuzzy.
I think you are onto the right thing ordering a few pedals to try with your amp for a while and picking the best of the bunch.
Quote by kool98769
Granted, the one i tried was their tube distortion pedal, but it was so undynamic it was embarressing.

But i think i might check ebay to see if i can find a bad monkey for dirt cheap, because i really can't go wrong at that price.

But yeah, i'm liking the idea of an OCD.

I actually tested the Blackstar HT-Boost and HT-Dual and it was pretty bad. Also was using my personal guitar on a Valveking so that pretty much kills all the varible/what if's... The pedals are just a warm can of bees with no dynamics like you stated.
hah, can of bees sounds about right. maybe they would improve with a tube swap.
Either way, i'm not gonna use one unless i get it for free. lol
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I'd go for an analogman modded (or self modded) DOD 250. Modded to "grey specs". I've A/B tested it with an Xotic RC booster and BB Preamp and I thought it beat both of em.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by USAPeavey
I'd go for an analogman modded (or self modded) DOD 250. Modded to "grey specs". I've A/B tested it with an Xotic RC booster and BB Preamp and I thought it beat both of em.

Really? I have heard they grey dod's were pretty good, but they beat out the BB preamp?!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Really? I have heard they grey dod's were pretty good, but they beat out the BB preamp?!

The BB has a great gain structure, and has more EQ options obviously, but I wasn't testing them as a distortion pedal. I like the DOD much more as a clean boost/light OD. It gives your amp (or at least mine) a "bigger" sound, but it was still very transparent. It was also about half the price.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by USAPeavey
The BB has a great gain structure, and has more EQ options obviously, but I wasn't testing them as a distortion pedal. I like the DOD much more as a clean boost/light OD. It gives your amp (or at least mine) a "bigger" sound, but it was still very transparent. It was also about half the price.

Word. I doubt i would buy a pedal just to get it modded....just looking at how simple the layout is doesn't justify me paying analogman that much to mod it...lol
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer