How can I get a rush style of sound? I'm trying to learn closer to the heart but I can't find a sound that makes it Rush like.
Thanks
A healthy amount of gain, not harsh sounding though, probably even amounts of bass, mids, and treble, try around 5. Alex seems to have ALOT of treble live, but studio it sounds smoother.

Add a little chorus if you have it as well, he adds that to give it some shimmering qualities
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Check the ultimate settings thread in the amps forum and see if they have the amp settings for the rush guitarist.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Also what kind of guitar and amp do you have?
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ultimate settings thread is BS. I know it's meant to be an outline but different amps, guitars, pickups, etc. all change things.
Yeah and who wants to search through 400 pages to find something?
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Having a piezo or a nanomag for Closer to the Heart will help get you there.

Good song choice btw.
I have an Epiphone sg g-400 with a roland 20x cube amp. And thank you for the help.
use a british sounding amp model, and for the intro use chorus. alex lifeson uses chorus in tons of songs. definitely an underrated guitarist.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by marvelboy_04
use a british sounding amp model, and for the intro use chorus. alex lifeson uses chorus in tons of songs. definitely an underrated guitarist.

I know, tons of the main guitarists from the 70s have been forgotten.

Another good way would maybe to get an Epiphone Dot (or Dot Studio) if you have the money to spend. Not to say an SG is bad, but the semi acoustic will get you closer to the heart of that Rush sound.

Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Splagl
How can I get a rush style of sound? I'm trying to learn closer to the heart but I can't find a sound that makes it Rush like.
Thanks

Intro/1st Verse: Accoustic or VERY clean sound with chorus (let the notes ring)

Rythm: Open ringing crunch distortion (pre gain 6, bass 5, mid 4.5, treb 6.5)
Lead: Distrotion w/delay and harmonizer set a perfect 5th above
Last edited by BeerChurch at Sep 12, 2008,