So I'm going to buy some strings for lower tunings (.11's or .12's), and was wondering if it'll be hard to play for the first while. I use .10's right now, so will it be a really big change? Also is it harder to solo/ play quickly using bigger strings?
well if your tuned down the tension is lessened so it pretty much feels the same and it will give you a heavier sound
It's usually only the low E, D, and A strings that are thicker. The others are the same. Soloing should be just fine, and sometimes it's hard to get used to the change. Depends on you I guess. I have small hands and fingers(at 18 that's kind of annoying...) so playing thicker strings was annoying for me at first.
nah, no big change.

When you tune really low though, the thickest string is the most important one. like...say you tune to drop-A, then a .13-set (13 - 56) would be okay for the five higher strings, but the sixth should be 62 or bigger. So most of the time when you tune really low, you have to buy a big set AND a separate e-string, which sucks...
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
nah, no big change.

When you tune really low though, the thickest string is the most important one. like...say you tune to drop-A, then a .13-set (13 - 56) would be okay for the five higher strings, but the sixth should be 62 or bigger. So most of the time when you tune really low, you have to buy a big set AND a separate e-string, which sucks...

Why not buy some strings designed for 7 strings and throw out the low e?
You could do that too, but most 7-string sets has a set of .10's and a .56, and that is too thin if you tune lower than C-standard.

But I may just be picky
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball