I'm having this problem where when I turn up my treble too much on my MXR 10 band (the last three band) I get tons of icepick on the highs notes. Simple reasoning would say turn down the treble, but when I do this power chords and the such sound muddy and pretty anything above below the 12th fret just doesn't have enough zing.

I've tried just lowering the amps treble and that doesn't seem to alleviate the ice pick. I've tried cutting only certain treble freqs and that doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone have any suggestions? Gear's in my sig.

I was thinking that a weber beam blocker might solve my problem, but I'm unsure. It seems to me it could fix the ice pick, but might just muddy up the tone as if I had turned down the treble. If anyone's used one I would appreciate it if you could tell me how it worked for you.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I had too much bass, real boomy. I lowered my pickup under the bottom strings and that fixed it......... Its just with the EQ pedal in the mix? Strange.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
No presence on the amp and the low end is pretty well cut.

Its not a matter of it being boomy, it just that it lacks definition when I cut the highs.

It's not the eq, it just when I boost the last few freqs, which are pretty much presence frequencies.
Turn the presence and treble up on the amp, then cut the extreme high end on the MXR. Also, experiment boosting upper mid frequencies to get the clarity and punch.
Subtle cutting around 200-40Hz can help get rid of mud.
Your issue isn't the amount of high cut, but how the frequencies are cut. The EQ isn't doing you any good because it's working like it's supposed to, affecting very specific frequencies and those frequencies only.
So, your issue is that something else is killing your high frequencies and you're having to compensate too much for those by boosting other frequencies more than usual- hence the icepick.
The first thing I would try is removing everything but the EQ from your signal chain, and then putting everything back in, pedal by pedal. It looks like most of the pedals you have are true bypass, which means that if you have the EQ late in your chain you're losing highs since you've got a fairly long signal chain. You might want to put the EQ sooner in the chain if you find that's the issue.
The second thing you can do is mess with the presence on your amp. You might have done that already, but it does control the treble frequencies differently. You can also try turning down your gain a little bit and compensating with volume or mids.
Now, we get into modifications. The best mod you can do for $2 is to replace the tone cap in your guitar. The ceramic tone cap that's in there right now cuts high frequencies really severely, which means it's pretty unusable anywhere but 9 or 10. An orange drop, mallory 150, or Vitamin T (more expensive, but worth it!) cap will cut the extreme highs more subtly at the top of the range and will be useful all the way down to 1 or 2 if you've got the proper value.
I assume you're happy with your pickups, but those aren't the best if you're having issues with icepick. You should be able to dial it out with a different treble cap and the other things I've mentioned, but at some point if you're fine tuning your sound more that would be a good place to start.
^What would you suggest for pickups? I'm going for a classic rock sound, anywhere from light gain all the way to van halen levels. Cleans are important. Noise cancelling pickups are a must.
Lace Sensors are pretty good if you have to go noiseless. The Red/Blue/silver set gives you a lot of range, I prefer the hot gold set but it sounds like you need more ouput than that.
^^Lol, huh?

^Thanks for the help, I was considering those before I went with the gfs, guess I made the wrong choice, o well, will give we something to do.

What do you think about the weber beam blocker? Is it even worth a shot?
I'm not sure you made the wrong choice with the pickups, it's just that you're fighting against them a little bit. You might want to try the other things first to save some money.
Speaking of saving money, instead of using the Weber beam blocker, just cut a 4" or so piece of duct tape and put it on the grillcloth directly in front of the speaker cone. A couple layers are good. If you're really worried about how it looks you can put it on the inside of the grillcloth, but it's so much more "rock and roll" on the outside.
Oooo, genius. Thanks for all the help Colin.

Wow, it works. Didn't get all the icepick, but it worked for the highest notes. I really like the tone I get on those highest notes now.

Duct tape fixes everything, even tone I guess.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Sep 11, 2008,
What about a reverse angle bridge pup pickguard? Do you reckon that might help with the bridge pup?