hey.. i need a new video card in my laptop to run cod 4 and stuff.. reccomendations?

bte **** the computer thread no one ever checks it
as far as i'm aware the only way to upgrade the graphics in a laptop is a USB graphics processor, which are hard to find and also shit. sorry.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

I don't believe you can upgrade video cards on laptops, because all video cards on laptops are integrated into the motherboard. The only option are USB ones, which are no good for gaming because of distance from the motherboard.

Something I might suggest though is a program called 3d-analyze, it will make your computers graphics card think that it is compatible with a game so you can run it, and then it will re-do the graphics to make them look good.

For example, I recently bought Oblivion for my laptop. I tried to run the game but it didn't work, said video card didn't support texture and lighting. So I downloaded 3d-analyze, ran the game through that, and it works fine on the lowest graphic setting.

EDIT: one more thing, you will need to have good ram on your computer for 3d-analyze to work (maybe above 1G, mine has 2 gigs) 3d analyze takes some of the power from the ram and processor (dual core is good for this) to help out the graphics card. 3d-analyze is also a free program, so just google it.

Good luck
Last edited by The Stormrider at Sep 11, 2008,
You can't.

or

Buy a new laptop.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
ya i can run cod4 on low quality but its terrible i hate it
im on a new dv6700 and i went here
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest
and it said my video card was the only prob and my nerdy computer friend said it too
im looking at the nvidia 8 or 9 series .. perhaps 7
http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html
but i suppose none of this matters if it cant be changed correct?
You can get new ones, depending on the kind of the laptop. They are not all built into the motherboard. It will take a really really good one to run COD 4 though. Go to canyourunit.com and see if you can play stuff.
there is also a new type of graphics card coming out which is a mobile pci express module (link)

but i don't think these are available yet
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Quote by rgwoot
ya i can run cod4 on low quality but its terrible i hate it
im on a new dv6700 and i went here
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest
and it said my video card was the only prob and my nerdy computer friend said it too
im looking at the nvidia 8 or 9 series .. perhaps 7
http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html
but i suppose none of this matters if it cant be changed correct?

oh, then you are out of luck you can't update video cards on laptops, I'd just be happy that it works on low detail

EDIT: some new ones actually aren't integrated, but I doubt you have one unless you spend tons of money on your laptop. In that case you could replace, but still hard to find them
Quote by The Stormrider
oh, then you are out of luck you can't update video cards on laptops, I'd just be happy that it works on low detail

booooo
my friend also told me just to buy a used gaming comp
so i suppose ill do that then

this would have been soo much better if i didnt sell my 360 for my fender cab

.. still worth it though :P
Quote by rgwoot
booooo
my friend also told me just to buy a used gaming comp
so i suppose ill do that then

this would have been soo much better if i didnt sell my 360 for my fender cab

.. still worth it though :P

Try giving the 3d-analyze a try though, it can make graphics look better even if the game is compatible, give it a shot, it did wonders for me with elder scrolls oblivion
Quote by bendystraw
Before installing it, delete your system 32 files.

joke/

hhahahha youre so funnnyy :P
but im going to ask one of my computer tech teachers at school tomorrow see what he sais
hes a competitive programmer
and.. AND hes asian
Quote by rgwoot
hhahahha youre so funnnyy :P
but im going to ask one of my computer tech teachers at school tomorrow see what he sais
hes a competitive programmer
and.. AND hes asian

What the fuck did he just say?
Asus was supposed to come out with an external video card for laptops, but it never happened.

I was looking forward to it because it was supposed to be a really high quality card with its own interface and shit.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by irongoat666
there is also a new type of graphics card coming out which is a mobile pci express module (link)

but i don't think these are available yet

Those things are still in early development stage, which is shockingly embarrassing.

When I was 16 I just found out that you couldn't upgrade laptop graphic cards. So I thought, "Well, there's gotta be an external card that can connect through the express card slot right?"

WRONG.

I googled it and found out that they only recently came up with that idea and are working on it. And not only that, their designs suck! The external graphic card is huge anyways, AND you have to hook it up to a desktop monitor, which makes the whole point of laptop gaming pointless.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
.. so anyway thanks for ur help guys
also .. any one wanna tell what a 4 pin firewire port would be good for?
ive got one on this laptop and idk wat exactly its for
You can't change the card in 98% of laptops.

Fortunately I can change mine. I'm also lucky to have 9800M in SLI in my laptop
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Well, firewire is just a faster version of USB. It's good for importing movies of a camera, copying large files etc.

Yeah, the graphics card thing is a bitch. I've got a gig of ram and duo core 1.6, but my lame 128 Intel 945 means that I can't really play much at all.

for other laptop owners
pretty much no laptops have the ability to change out video cards I've only ran across 2 or 3 and they were 800 bucks more than a normal one.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Those things are still in early development stage, which is shockingly embarrassing.

When I was 16 I just found out that you couldn't upgrade laptop graphic cards. So I thought, "Well, there's gotta be an external card that can connect through the express card slot right?"

WRONG.

I googled it and found out that they only recently came up with that idea and are working on it. And not only that, their designs suck! The external graphic card is huge anyways, AND you have to hook it up to a desktop monitor, which makes the whole point of laptop gaming pointless.

That's exactly what happened to me. I wasn't into gaming much when I bought my laptop, so I didn't even consider the integrated graphics card. It's a shame too, because the specs of the laptop are pretty good. I can run F.E.A.R. Combat on 800x600, medium settings (all the special effects turned off), on my Intel GMA 950 256MB so it's not that bad (although some levels, I have to reduce it to 640x480 ).

To look at it at a different perspective, my battery life is pretty good + undervolting my CPU also helped increase it by 30mins and reduce HD and CPU temp by 8 and 22 degrees, respectively.