Ok,I'v recently seen people on here talking about how overdrive pedals do not mix very well with solid state amps..Which is actually how I'v been playing.I play the SD-1 super overdrive through my clean channel.Iv heard the term "clipping",and have also heard that it sounds very nasty,although I haven't had a problem with my sound.Very seldom Ill have a pop come from my amp,but thats pretty much it.

Im planning on getting a Frontman soon,and Im wondering if it would be best to continue playing how I have been,or use a standard footswitch for changes between the amps gain and clean channel,and play all other pedals through the clean?
What doesn't kill you,only makes you pissed off.
First off, DON'T get a frontman. poor amp. It's true that overdrives don;t sound terrible with solid state amps no matter what, but they don't sound anywhere near as good as they do with a tube amp.
Well its not a necessity that I own a tube..Im not gigging or anything.So I just go for the solid states,and as I said before;it doesn't give me trouble.So even though it may not sound as good as running it through a tube,overall it shouldnt be that big of a problem?
Quote by mcrfobtai
First off, DON'T get a frontman. poor amp. It's true that overdrives don;t sound terrible with solid state amps no matter what, but they don't sound anywhere near as good as they do with a tube amp.

I think Frontman amps are great.
Quote by mcrfobtai

yeah man, dont get a frontman, spider III, or marshall MG.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Dude just get a blues junior or something. Frontman amps are a waste of money
And dont make the same mistake I did and get a spider III. Bad bad decision
you can get a cheap combo tube amp for just a little more than the frontman.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Link me to a tube combo around the same price.....
All of those are fewer than 10 watts though.And Im not looking for a high gain amp.Isn't that all Crate makes?
At the risk of sounding stupid and getting flamed to holy hell, what's so bad about Frontman amps? I have a 65r and I love that amp. Also I was thinking about getting an overdrive pedal as well. I figured I could get an overdrive pedal just to make my cleans alittle dirtier since I really like the distortion on my amp. Is this a bad idea?
Quote by GITARdud391
At the risk of sounding stupid and getting flamed to holy hell, what's so bad about Frontman amps? I have a 65r and I love that amp. Also I was thinking about getting an overdrive pedal as well. I figured I could get an overdrive pedal just to make my cleans alittle dirtier since I really like the distortion on my amp. Is this a bad idea?

I think the cleans on a frontman are acceptable but the distortion id God-awful. You'll eventually develop an ear for tone. No worries.

Quote by Z-Bone
All of those are fewer than 10 watts though.And Im not looking for a high gain amp.Isn't that all Crate makes?

Umm, the Crate is 18w tube which is about 45w SS. And all those are low gain amps. The Crate can do hard rock at most and is a great amp. the V33 is 250 and the V50 like 180. but i don't really like the V50 as much as the 18 and 33. then again, I'm not a fan of that American sounding distortion.
(The V50 is american voiced where as the V18 and 33 are British.)
OK,well then Ill look into the Crate some more...I just thought the majority of their amps were high gain.And I also didnt know the power rating for tubes and solid state ran differently.
Yeah they are great. The majority of their solid stats might be high gain but their tube amps are great and much lower gain. Considering they made the Palominos and Blackhearts, they make some damn fine amps.

Glad I could help
Quote by mcrfobtai
I think the cleans on a frontman are acceptable but the distortion id God-awful. You'll eventually develop an ear for tone. No worries.

Alright then. So should I still go with the overdrive pedal ( I was thinking the OD-3) or should i just turn the gain down a bit on my distorted channel and get a distortion pedal?
Last edited by GITARdud391 at Sep 11, 2008,
Distortion pedals really are better for solid state. But the problem is most distortion pedals don't sound very good. If you play metal, the metal muff is great. The frontmen have resonable amounts of gain so you should be ok. But if you need more, a metal muff is a great investment because you will probably use with a tube amp as well.
I don't think I'll need the metal muff. I play all sorts of stuff but in my band we play like rock-alternative stuff, I guess you could say like Paramore or something like that, nothing too heavy. I just want something to add depth to my sound. Pretty much all I have right now is quiet cleans and a loud distorted channel. I want something in the middle.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread, I've been meaning to ask about this anyways)
Normally an od would be ideal. But I recommend an eq pedal. The MXR ones are fantastic and they are a great investment (And the 6-band is like 75). If you are on a REALLY tight budget, check out a Danelectro fish 'n chips
If you go with the Frontman, try running your OD on the gain channel and any distortion pedals on the clean, I've found that works best. Also if EQ'd right you can get a very nice tone.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by mcrfobtai
Normally an od would be ideal. But I recommend an eq pedal. The MXR ones are fantastic and they are a great investment (And the 6-band is like 75). If you are on a REALLY tight budget, check out a Danelectro fish 'n chips

Ok but how would an EQ pedal help me? I don't actually fully understand the purpose of EQ pedals, besides that they give you more options tonally. Although, that probably isn't totally correct anyways, lol.
An eq pedal is basically expanding the 3 band eq on your amp (i.e. Bass, middle and treble)
It lets you be more presicse about your eqing and with the proper eq you can achieve that "depth" you are looking for. Although you probably won't really get it until you upgrade to a decent amp.
Get the eq and check out the Ultimate settings thread, make a new thread, etc and fiddle around. If that still doesnt work I guess just try an od or distortion
Very few amps sound good with an overdrive pedal, and I also don't really know your intentions on a possible use for the overdrive pedal. If you're a metal player thinking, well, Kirk Hammett used an overdrive pedal for leads, well, he used it over a mesa or Marshall's drive channel to liquidize his leads and make playing a bit easier.

If you're wanting to run an overdrive over a clean channel, it's going to sound slightly crunchy, yet still basically clean. You can get about as much gain as AC DC or most classic rock lead guitarists, which isn't ideal for metal...

If you want a metal tone from a solid state or 5-18watt tube amp, you're probably going to want a distortion pedal, not an overdrive pedal. The best way to a good tone though, is just using an amp with a great distortion channel.

Saving up for a new amp is usually always the best path to take.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I just replaced my frontman 15g with a Crate V18 today. So much nicer get a tube trust me.