Page 1 of 2
Who else here keeps seeing his commercials? I really do not understand why he thinks that we should care about his opinion at all. Especially considering the fact that he used to be in oil. I personally don't trust someone who was involved with oil to get us off of oil.
I agree with everything the man says. There needs to be a public outcry for this. He has the money and he's stepping up to the plate. I, for one, welcome it.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quite a Texas oil name I must say, T Boone Pickens.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by Funkbass796
I agree with everything the man says. There needs to be a public outcry for this. He has the money and he's stepping up to the plate. I, for one, welcome it.

He supports offshore drillig, which wont make a difference at all..
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Not to mention the greatest name I've ever heard.

Honestly.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Have any of you naysayers actually read his plan?

Or seen the commercial where he talks about using natural gas to break our oil habit untill h-cells and biofuels are developed enough to be viable.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Not to mention the greatest name I've ever heard.

dude seriously haha
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Quote by Seryaph
Have any of you naysayers actually read his plan?

Or seen the commercial where he talks about using natural gas to break our oil habit untill h-cells and biofuels are developed enough to be viable.

Yes, and i agreed with that. However, i'm not quite sure why he thinks that his opinion is anything special or anything new.
When my sister and I saw that commercial we ****ing fell out on the floor.

That indeed is one of the funniest names I've ever heard.
froosh has my heart

You are electric?

You love me.
Quote by Spamwise
Yes, and i agreed with that. However, i'm not quite sure why he thinks that his opinion is anything special or anything new.

because he is actually taking his opinion and doing something about it.

read this

http://www.pickensplan.com/theplan/
Quote by Seryaph
because he is actually taking his opinion and doing something about it.

read this

He is not the first to advertise ideas about alternative energies on tv. Either the government doesn't notice, or more likely doesn't care.
Quote by Spamwise
He is not the first to advertise ideas about alternative energies on tv. Either the government doesn't notice, or more likely doesn't care.

No no, he is investing something like 1.2 billion dollars of his own money into developing the worlds largest wind power farm. he is also developing a lot of natural gas resources, again mostly using his own money. His goal is to replace 1/3 of our nations foreign oil imports with his energy plan within 10 years.
Quote by Seryaph
No no, he is investing something like 1.2 billion dollars of his own money into developing the worlds largest wind power farm. he is also developing a lot of natural gas resources, again mostly using his own money. His goal is to replace 1/3 of our nations foreign oil imports with his energy plan within 10 years.

Oh, well I guess it would have helped if I read the link, haha. That's pretty cool, then. I thought he was just spouting off his opinion, but at least he is actually active about it.
He was in oil when gas prices and global warming weren't such huge issues. It's ignorant to not trust him because he used to be in oil.
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
______________________███████████████████
Quote by Spamwise

That may be true, but he has the money. The Government should step out because they'll just screw it up. Americans need to start doing things on their own and not always expect the government to do something for them.

Common and basic equation.

Government+action= major screwup.
he was on commercials in florida, i have no idea who he is but his name is mad funny
It's ignorant to not trust him because he used to be in oil.

So it is ignorant to think that someone who once served a paticular interest won't continue doing that? I don't think so.

That may be true, but he has the money. The Government should step out because they'll just screw it up. Americans need to start doing things on their own and not always expect the government to do something for them.

Getting off oil will take a lot more then just personal vigilance.
Quote by thankyougermany
Quite a Texas oil name I must say, T Boone Pickens.

He is actually from Oklahoma. He has pretty much built OSU's football stadium on his own funding. He is probably the richest dude in Oklahoma the man shits money.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by Spamwise

He doesn't he is just getting everything out to the public and trying to be an activist.
From what I understand, he stands to make huge profits off of his alternate plans. So yeah, they may be a step in the right direction (I don't know, I haven't looked into them much), but don't think he's doing it purely out of the good in his heart. When alternate fuels start taking over, everyone in oil is gonna be looking for a way in to keep their profits, and I would imagine Pickens is trying to beat them to it.

Which doesn't mean he can't help us at the same time either.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
From what I understand, he stands to make huge profits off of his alternate plans. So yeah, they may be a step in the right direction (I don't know, I haven't looked into them much), but don't think he's doing it purely out of the good in his heart. When alternate fuels start taking over, everyone in oil is gonna be looking for a way in to keep their profits, and I would imagine Pickens is trying to beat them to it.

Yeah if he is helping us who gives a shit why? I mean honestly are you gonna deny someone stopping a murderer if they make money off of it? No
Quote by Spamwise
So it is ignorant to think that someone who once served a paticular interest won't continue doing that? I don't think so.

He's obviously not planning on giving out his ideas for free. But are you really not going to support someone's ideas just because they aren't willing to pay for tons of nation-wide commercials, a website, and anything else he needs to do to publish or promote his plan without getting a little something in return?

We've all probably seen "There Will Be Blood," and I'm sure there are more than a few corporate devils in the oil industry, but just because he was an oil man doesn't mean he's satan's child and is planning on somehow dooming the world with an energy plan.
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

______________________███████████████████
Quote by Funkbass796

I agree, hes taking the initiative and stepping up to say something. I like his non-partisan approach and I trust his views because he was in oil. He knows what hes talking about. He has a plan to stop the problems and I for one think that that is highly commendable.
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
Quote by Jett Diamond

Well, frankly if he gets 33% of our energy use off of oil and onto helioelectric and natural gas power within 10 years, he probably deserves most of the money he would win off of that.

I am just hoping that that would start a new tendency towards independence from oil.
Quote by LgLagro
He's obviously not planning on giving out his ideas for free. But are you really not going to support someone's ideas just because they aren't willing to pay for tons of nation-wide commercials, a website, and anything else he needs to do to publish or promote his plan without getting a little something in return?

We've all probably seen "There Will Be Blood," and I'm sure there are more than a few corporate devils in the oil industry, but just because he was an oil man doesn't mean he's satan's child and is planning on somehow dooming the world with an energy plan.

Dude I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was planning on actually paying for everything on his own. He is a pretty cool guy from everything I hear. My dad met him and he is like the nicest dude ever and like just gives his money away. He does like his name to be on the stuff he buys though but that is understandable.
"Click here to tell your Member of Congress to join with T. Boone Pickens and his army of supporters in calling for an Energy Independence Plan to be enacted within the first 100 days of the new administration."

check it out everyone.
Quote by Spamwise
Especially considering the fact that he used to be in oil. I personally don't trust someone who was involved with oil to get us off of oil.

What?!?

So I guess you drive a car that runs on water?
------------------------------------------------------- ~ UG's Nirvana Fangirl ~ -------------------------------------------------------

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Quote by Grunge_Girl21
What?!?

So I guess you drive a car that runs on water?

I would if I had a choice
Quote by Spamwise
I would if I had a choice

As would I, but it's obvious you don't understand his agenda. He is supporting oil to lower gas prices while researching alterative fueling.
------------------------------------------------------- ~ UG's Nirvana Fangirl ~ -------------------------------------------------------

Quote by Grunge_Girl21
As would I, but it's obvious you don't understand his agenda. He is supporting oil to lower gas prices while researching alterative fueling.

I directed him to the pickens' plan website.

He is pushing for wind and natural gas power more than the oil anyway.

EDIT:

Awesome Avatar by the way.
Quote by Grunge_Girl21

Except offshore drilling won't lower gas prices. It will just keep our focus on oil when we could have it on something else.
Quote by Spamwise
Except offshore drilling won't lower gas prices. It will just keep our focus on oil when we could have it on something else.

You also obviously have no concept of economics. When big oil sees that we have domestic resources, gas prices will drop. Trust me

Quote by Jake_fender
i saw his commercials several times.. only thoughtss.... who the **** is this ?

He is a dude who is investing something like 1.2 billion of his own dollars in order to develop the worlds largest wind farm in Texas. He is also developing natural gas both for energy and for transportation. Part of his plan is this:

Building new wind generation facilities and better utilizing our natural gas resources can replace more than one-third of our foreign oil imports in 10 years. But it will take leadership.

Quote by Grunge_Girl21
You also obviously have no concept of economics. When big oil sees that we have domestic resources, gas prices will drop. Trust me

This is just wrong. We get something like 70% of our oil from foreign sources. It would take such a long time to even make a slight dent in that percentage that it is just not worth it. Especially when the money that would go towards the new drilling could be used for alternative sources. That way, in the long run, we could end up relying on our own energy, instead of importing it.

Besides we already have domestic resources. Have you ever seen a map of the Gulf of Mexico that shows where the oil platforms and refineries are?
Last edited by Seryaph at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by tayroar
He is actually from Oklahoma. He has pretty much built OSU's football stadium on his own funding. He is probably the richest dude in Oklahoma the man shits money.

He was born in Oklahoma, but lived in my hometown of Amarillo, Texas.
Quote by Grunge_Girl21

Taken from here

"analysts say that renewed offshore drilling would have little impact on gas prices anytime soon. It would take at least a decade for oil companies to obtain permits, procure equipment, and do the exploration necessary to get the oil out of the ground, most industry analysts say. And even then, they add, the amount of new oil produced would probably be too small to significantly affect world oil prices."

And this

" 'Suppose the US produced all its oil domestically," said Robert Kaufmann, director of the Center for Energy and Environmental Studies at Boston University. "Do you think oil companies would sell oil to US consumers for one cent less than they could get from French consumers? No. Where oil comes from has no effect on price.' And there is not likely to be enough new American oil to make much of a difference, Kaufmann and others said. About 86 billion barrels of additional oil may lie offshore, according to the US government's Energy Information Administration. Of that amount, about 18 billion barrels are subject to the moratorium. Much of the rest lies in areas that are too expensive to exploit or that oil companies have not yet tapped for technical reasons, fueling the industry's desire for fresh territory."
Quote by apollo minor
He was born in Oklahoma, but lived in my hometown of Amarillo, Texas.

WHAT!!????

You are from Amarillo?!

I never thought I would find another Amarillian on UG. Dude, I lived in Wolflin for like 12 years!
Page 1 of 2