What are some good bands that use harmonizing or good patterns to start learning harmonizing
Fender Stratocaster Mexican
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Peavy 112 Valve King 50 Watt Tube Amp

Boss Giga Delay DD20
Boss Overdrive DS20
Boss Compression Sustainer CS-3
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Boss Chorus CS-1
Boss Pedal Board BCB-60
What exactly do you mean by harmonizing?
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
3rds. . . hahaha try harmonizing in thirds, maintaining whatever type of 3rd the scale would naturally give you. . . rather it be minor or major. . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
queen.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Arch enemy, Avenged Sevenfold, Shadows Fall, Down, Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom, that type shindig wikipedia it. . . sorry this didn't come to me sooner, both comments are harmonization related and my browser won't let me edit for some reason right now. Later.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by notsee
3rds. . . hahaha try harmonizing in thirds, maintaining whatever type of 3rd the scale would naturally give you. . . rather it be minor or major. . .

exactly this. pretty much all bands harmonize in 3rds
Okay if you want to start harmonizing I'd recommend learning the modes. Because that will help you to gain the theory to pretty much harmonize everything.

But as you asked for bands... dude, go Cacophony. I can't believe that they haven't been mentioned already.
Modes have nothing to do with it.

TS - you need to start learning some theory, read the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the columns section to get you started on the major scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
actually the names of the modes has nothing to do with it, learning the Ionian scale, covering the whole fretboard in all keys is essential though, and modes is (imho) the best way to do it. There's two ways of harmonizing in thirds, either you first come up with a melody and then you try every note on the fretboard... oh that one fits. Next note in the melody, try every note on the fretboard... oh that one it is.

Or you know your modes and intervals and you just play the harmonizing in diatonic thirds almost automatically, because you know your theory.

You chose...

of course, you can harmonize in other scales than ionian and its modes but, it's the best way to start (imo). The step from aeolian (6th mode of the ionian scale) to harmonic minor (natural minor/aeolian mode with a raised 7th) is very small.

-edit- typo
almost any power metal band you listen to will harmonize solos, especially dragonforce they harmonize ALOT

you can do it simply by playing a lead line then just replace every note with the note that is a 3rd or a 5th away from it in the scale
i.e. in A minor if you play A-C-B then you can harmize by playing C-E-D
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Quote by Oxac
actually the names of the modes has nothing to do with it, learning the Ionian scale, covering the whole fretboard in all keys is essential though, and modes is (imho) the best way to do it. There's two ways of harmonizing in thirds, either you first come up with a melody and then you try every note on the fretboard... oh that one fits. Next note in the melody, try every note on the fretboard... oh that one it is.

Or you know your modes and intervals and you just play the harmonizing in diatonic thirds almost automatically, because you know your theory.

You chose...

of course, you can harmonize in other scales than ionian and its modes but, it's the best way to start (imo). The step from aeolian (6th mode of the ionian scale) to harmonic minor (natural minor/aeolian mode with a raised 7th) is very small.

-edit- typo

There's no reason to bring modes into it though, they just confuse matters - we're just talking about the major scale here.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
sure, it's just that to me, learning the modes has helped me learning the Ionianscale much better, and I'm almost able to harmonize any note on the fretboard diatonically pretty fast (if you name a key) I wouldn't have been able to do that without modes, so it was more like a suggestion to help the learning process but sure, you're right. Knowing the modes has nothing to do with harmonizing, it just helps you learn the ionian scale which has everything to do with harmonizing.

Boy, that was confusing..