Well i've played bass for a year with my peavey mellinium bass, and i'm looking to move up. I was wondering if any one had suggestions for a better bass in the $400-$1000 range. I've looked at variety of basses already and i'm simply looking for someone else's opinion.
what genres you play if you want versitility look into the fender mim jbass
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
what genres you play if you want versitility look into the fender mim jbass

mim? not sure what that means. but i play rock, to metal, to jazz, to funk... all over the place really.
It is still my opinion that a lightning rod atop of a church shows a lack of confidence.

Quote by watchingmefall
Love has no boundaries. Except maybe dead people and liking your mom.
mim bass is made in mexico
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
as said earlier mim is made in mexico the difrence from them and the americans are price quality of work and parts but for the price the mims are really worth while especial if you can get one used
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Firstly, I'm assuming you've got a good amp already. If not, stop looking at basses now.

$1000 is a great budget - you're in quality used Warwick or Music Man territory, or you could get a new American Fender.

What sort of features/spec etc do you want from your bass?
For great qulity and versatility you need a Fender.
I got the Fender active P bass special. It has one precission pickup and one jazz noiseless pickup, it has an equalizer and a pickup volume mixer. So basically you are buying 3 basses in one which gives you the best versatility plus its a Fender so you know it will sound great.
Quote by smb
Firstly, I'm assuming you've got a good amp already. If not, stop looking at basses now.

$1000 is a great budget - you're in quality used Warwick or Music Man territory, or you could get a new American Fender.

What sort of features/spec etc do you want from your bass?

ya but im assuming he wants to save as much money as possible
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
well right now i'm working with the BXL-1800 "180" watt behringer
not the best
It is still my opinion that a lightning rod atop of a church shows a lack of confidence.

Quote by watchingmefall
i would recomend a new amp maybe split the budget favoring amp behringers arent to excellent
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
well i don't want to start a new thread on possible amps, so any one suggestions for a new one of those? i've known that fender rumble amps are decent, as well as ampeg, but not to much else in amp territory

Quote by watchingmefall
try ampeg or gallien krueger they are well like around here but not the backline series rumbles are decent they get the job done
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Your Peavey through a good amp will sound a lot better than a high-end bass through a Behringer.

What kind of tone are you after? Who do you want to sound like? How loud do you need to be?
Quote by smb
Your Peavey through a good amp will sound a lot better than a high-end bass through a Behringer.

What kind of tone are you after? Who do you want to sound like? How loud do you need to be?

As i said above i play all over the place. I play hard rock and metal for practice, light rock and concert pieces, and then i'm also in a jazz band. so if there is a do all for that...

as for volume all i really need is some thing that i can do some light jamming with and practice.

no one in particular i want to sound like just a versital tone.

Quote by watchingmefall
Quote by smb

i definetely agree - a good amp can usually make up for a cheap bass, but not as often the other way around.

as for basses, a fender (not squier) mim jass or p bass is always a good option, but for quality for the price, nothing beats ibanez. for your price range, i would suggest maybe an sr500, or a 5string version for like $30 more. both come in under $600.

hope this helps.
Geddy Lee kicks your ass.

I saw this Wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, 'Dude, you have to WAIT.'
I would go get a new amp. Prolly something like and Ashdown MAG or a Fender Bassman 250. They are going to make a much bigger difference tonally, than a new bass. Both are about 600 bucks, which if you still wanted to, still leaves room for something like a MIM Fender.