Okay, basically I've been playing the guitar for about 7 years, but I have only been serious about it for the past 3 years. I've played with a handful of guitar players, in all different styles, and all of them have been surprised that I dont use a pick. For the first 4 years, I was trained classical, and I never used a pick. I was wondering, do you guys think I should start using a pick?

I've always been proud that I haven't - it's set me apart. And it's not like im a slow player, I can play moderately fast, and I can tremelo (I like flex my thumb or something, not too sure, but I can do it.)
I would suggest it, just because it is a different path in which to make music, and you can never have too many paths.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Honestly, if you have an avenged sevenfold avatar, then yes i would learn it. If you enjoy that style of music, then its always nice to branch out and try to learn it like it was meant to be played.
Mark Knopfler doesn't use a pick, and he plays just fine.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
its not like you will lose ability by trying something new. im impressed you never considered using a pick. picking has their share of techniques as well as fingers. its always awesome to increase your horizon.
I have considered it before - I've even bought a pack of Tortex picks, I think a some .7 or something like that? I tried using and found it too awkward, and put them somewhere. I've recently found them which has made me reconsider. Can anyone name guitarists who don't use picks?
Oh, and btw, I listen to alot heavier music then Avenged Sevenfold. They're actually one of the softest bands I listen to/play.
Quote by ShrimpthePimp
I have considered it before - I've even bought a pack of Tortex picks, I think a some .7 or something like that? I tried using and found it too awkward, and put them somewhere. I've recently found them which has made me reconsider. Can anyone name guitarists who don't use picks?

Jeff Beck.

I would suggest learning to use a pick. You don't have to use it all the time, but it's a good skill to have. It can't hurt to learn.
Quote by ShrimpthePimp
Okay, basically I've been playing the guitar for about 7 years, but I have only been serious about it for the past 3 years. I've played with a handful of guitar players, in all different styles, and all of them have been surprised that I dont use a pick. For the first 4 years, I was trained classical, and I never used a pick. I was wondering, do you guys think I should start using a pick?

I've always been proud that I haven't - it's set me apart. And it's not like im a slow player, I can play moderately fast, and I can tremelo (I like flex my thumb or something, not too sure, but I can do it.)

NOOOOOOO NEVER.....

unless you are bored and want to......
song stuck in my head today

^ i disagree simply because im of the avid belief that (get ready i've only said this a million times before)

"its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
My story is about the same with u, I am mostly a classic guitar player but with a pick I can play a lot faster - at least a lot easier - and an other thing is the harmonics u can do as fast an easy u want with the pick
Quote by z4twenny
^ i disagree simply because im of the avid belief that (get ready i've only said this a million times before)

"its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

I like that quote

well, thanks for the help guys, I decided I'm going to start using a pick.
is there a certain way to hold it?
Quote by ShrimpthePimp
is there a certain way to hold it?
You grasp it with your thumb on the front and index and sometimes middle finger on the back. You generally want the narrow end to be the part hitting the strings.

Once you get good, you'll tweak this basic idea into your own unique way of picking.
You know, I wonder how many of these people people saying better to know and not need it can play finger style :P I'm sure if you do want to take it up it would be easier than trying to do it the other way around. You will definitely notice a difference in the tone, maybe you will like, maybe you wont, and sure it helps to be versatile, but there's no wrong technique to making music, as long as it sounds good.
Quote by caek
You know, I wonder how many of these people people saying better to know and not need it can play finger style

I haven't said anything yet but I play with pleck and fingers. I flatpick more than I fingerpick but I don't regret getting lessons in fingerstyle. I've yet to learn any technique that I've not found a use for at some point and it certainly hasn't hurt me to learn new ones.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
mark knopler from dire straits doesnt use a pick. he has some songs that just sound better with out a pick. but he doesnt just use his thumb. you should check him out
learn fingerpicking rock stuff its alot more unique and sounds awesome, everybody got the electric guitar going, if you can fingerpick awesome stuff i say stick with it and just build up there, nothing says you cant do both i just say you should focus on finger picking
Definitely use both. You'll be a much more versatile guitarist and add more variety to your overall tone. I'm classically trained but also love rockin out - I'm so glad I can switch between fingerstyle and plectrum when the mood takes me

I've always been proud that I haven't - it's set me apart
Having both skills will set you apart even more