I'm just starting to record on my laptop mic, and was looking to buy some stuff to really start making some good recordings.

All I do is vocals and an acoustic guitar, and I already have my microphone picked out and stuff, I just need a good interface (FireWire or USB) that has an input for a mic, and phantom power for the mic.

Around 100 bucks it what I've got to spend for now, but if more is needed, I can wait.

I'm new to all of this, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
I would say definitely wait. I was in the same boat as you a couple months ago, I really wanted to record, and I was in ahurry to buy an interface, and i was looking to spend about $100, so I bought a Lexicon Alpha, which don't get me wrong, it's not bad. but you can only record one mic at a time, and if you want to record vocals and guitar at the same time, you will want something alot more versatile. I would recommend one of these.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=240479
you'll have to save up your money a bit, but it will be worth it. even if you don't take my advice, all I can say is, do your research before you buy, and make sure it's absolutely what you want.
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
ART Dual Pre. $99, two XLR inputs (if you want to use two microphones for acoustic), and phantom power. Don't forget to get a good software to complement it...Reaper, Mixcraft, something. It's also has balanced outputs. The MBox is overpriced, IMHO.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Yeah, I have an MBox and it's definitely not what you need, especially with that budget. Go with what Fast Fingers recommended, that should be perfect for you.

Oh, and props for the username, TS.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Well I have an ART mic preamp, and it sounded good and everything, but it went bad on me within two weeks, so just take that into consideration. you get what you pay for
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
The ART is around 100 but I would probably go with a PreSonus such as the Inspire 1394. The firewire connection is nice to have and PreSonus is a great all around company to deal with.

That M-Box USB interface is a good unit but the ProTools hardware is high in price for what you get...
For the price of that unit you could get a PreSonus FP10...

Save money for a condenser mic such as the MXL 990/991 set and also remember about cables, stands, and software...
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 12, 2008,
I have that MXL 990 Mic picked out. along with a cable and a stand.

That ART USB interface looks perfect for what I need, and I'll probably record vocals and guitar separately just to get the best for both.

Thanks for all the help guys!