So I was just looking around ebay in the guitar section, and I think I basically found what I could call my "dream guitar". Has all the right specs, good price, and a reputable seller, but I have a problem... I'm basically broke.

I've been looking to sell my LTD M-1000 for awhile now, so I could use the money from that. I could also sell my EC-1000, since it would effectively be replaced if I bought this guitar. I also have a Cube 60 and some EMG 81's on my 'to-sell' list. I know there's no way in hell I can sell all that in time to buy the guitar, which is about $1500, so I may be forced to try some emergency borrowing tactics. My question is: if in my situation, do you think it would be worth it to get rid of all that shit for one, extremely nice guitar?

Edit- Also do most guitar shops take guitars for cash, or consignment only? I'm not going to a pawn shop, I've learned my lesson with those.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
Last edited by CHIEF-CHEESE at Sep 11, 2008,
26 views and not a single reply? wow.
Quote by Steven Wright
What kinda guitar? Do you have other amps that you would use with it? Is any of the gear you'd sell of any use to you if you got that guitar?
First, we cant give you any good advice if you dont tell us which guitar you are looking at.
If you say it would replace the EC, then sell the EC.
Second: I would sell one of those LTD's anyway, whether or not you are buying that other guitar. You have two 1000 series, which imo is kinda too much of the same thing. keep one, sell the other, and keep an eye on ebay. You can do good deals every day. One day, you will see another great deal, and be happy that you already sold one of these guitars, so you have the cash.
Third: Unless its a custom shop you are looking at, 1500 is alot of money. Not much guitars go over 1500 second hand. Be sure that no one is ripping you off. (I mean, 1500$ is the price where you can get ESP's, Jackson USA's, Gibson Les Paul customs, Fender CS's, Ibanez J-Customs, Tom Andersons, ... for second hand).
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I've personally noticed that when I have two guitars that are similar, I tend to pick a favorite and ignore the other one (sometimes even if the guitars AREN'T that similar). The only realistic reason I can see for someone having two of the same/similar guitars would be if they needed a backup. For example, I play out a ton and when I break a string in the middle of the set on my main guitar, it's good to have a backup already strung up and in the same tuning ready to go. The other reason I can think of would be if you play a lot in different tunings. In my last band, we played a bunch of stuff in regular, a bunch in drop D, and a bunch in drop C, so I had a few guitars ready to go, one in each tuning so I didn't waste show time constantly tuning.

And an important tip would be to actually play the guitar you are planning on buying because there's always the chance that you'll go through everything you mentioned just to find out when you get it that you don't like how it feels or sounds. Just a heads up. I always find a guitar I'm looking at in a local shop and play it first before looking for the best deal to make sure I actually want to spend that kind of money on it.
I'd sell the EC (as it's that you're replacing) and the other bits and bobs, then if you need to borrow, borrow.
If you feel this is your dream guitar (providing you can't get it elsewhere) snatch your chance while you have it.

Out of curiosity, what guitar is it?
Since I don't want anyone to bid-in at the last minute, I'm not going to link the auction. I'll just say its a rare ESP standard series in mint condition from a seller I trust. I have no problem not playing this guitar before I buy it because I've tried many ESP's and they have no quality issues and I have a lot of experience with this particular model. I have another amp so I don't need the cube.
Quote by Steven Wright
Trust me on one thing:
I wouldnt pay 1500$ second hand on an ESP standard series. They all are new less than 1500$ (EC:1499$, Horizon: 1399$, MII:1499$, Viper: 1369$). So why would you pay that price second hand? Even its a rare spray paint on it, fvck that.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
To be honest I think you're asking UG to verify the thought that you're having that you're unsure on, you aren't sure whether you SHOULD sell these things.

If you aren't sure about it, don't do it. Better safe than sorry and all that jazz.
It's not available in the U.S. only 400 were made, and it retailed for $2800 so yeah I think $1500 is a good price considering it's also mint cond.
Quote by Steven Wright
I still think that, even IF only 400 were made, 1500 for a standard series second hand is too much. Buy the same guitar in a normal colour and you will pay between 800-1100 depending on its condition.
That guitar will not be better because there's a fancy spray on it. It really wont.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
I still think that, even IF only 400 were made, 1500 for a standard series second hand is too much. Buy the same guitar in a normal colour and you will pay between 800-1100 depending on its condition.
That guitar will not be better because there's a fancy spray on it. It really wont.

To each his own. But thanks for the advice. I've pretty much decided I'm gonna try and go for it, but I still have a money problem. I don't think it's possible to sell that stuff in such a short amount of time. I might have some money I can use so I would probably be charging about $560 in the end.
Quote by Steven Wright
Thats ok, as long as its worth 1500 to you, and as long as you are happy. It wont be a bad guitar, thats for sure. ESP makes great guitars. I just wanted to give my opinion.

But you realise that if you buy a normal version second hand, you wouldnt have that much of a money problem and you'd have the same guitar...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Thats ok, as long as its worth 1500 to you, and as long as you are happy. It wont be a bad guitar, thats for sure. ESP makes great guitars. I just wanted to give my opinion.

But you realise that if you buy a normal version second hand, you wouldnt have that much of a money problem and you'd have the same guitar...

I respect your opinion, but there's certain things about this guitar that I'm not revealing because of ebay hounds. Lets just say it's definitely worth the price tag to me.
Quote by Steven Wright
Why would you ask us if its worth it to do, if you won't even tell us what makes the guitar worth it? From whats been said, I would definitely just go for a normal ESP standard series brand new for less money.
Because I wasn't sure last night, and I was bored, so thought I'd make a thread. If you imagine your "dream guitar" and then put yourself in a similar situation, it doesn't matter if the guitar I'm bidding on is a pink daisy rock flower guitar with a broken neck. It's not really about the guitar, I'm just asking what other people would choose to do in my situation.
Quote by Steven Wright