To keep this short:

Budget: Probably about $1000NZ (or $600US)
Styles: Grunge, shoegaze, alternative rock/metal in general.
Used: I live in New Zealand, so finding good used gear is bloody hard as we have just one site (TradeMe) which doesn't often have good used gear. I'm mostly looking at new stuff.
Gigs: Currently I'm a bedroom player, but next year when I go to uni I plan to start gigging so I want something that sounds good at low and high volumes.
Other: I use a Digitech Grunge, a Boss OD-2 and am saving up for an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone chorus pedal, so the amp distortion isn't of much interest to me. Since I also often play clean stuff, I'm mostly looking for an amp with great cleans.

What do youse suggest? I have no built in biases for a particular brand, although I know to stay well away from MGs and solid Spiders. I'm also not too keen on other modelling amps, unless they can take my pedals.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I would recommend a small fender tube amp. The blues junior starts at 479USD.
Main Rig: ' 62 Reissue Strat, Crybaby Classic, Big Muff, Small Stone, Small Clone, Stereo Pulsar, Deluxe Memory Man, Hot Rod Deluxe (heavily modded w/ Jensen C12K speaker). Martin D-16gt. Deering Goodtime 2.
Quote by Hadeed
a tiny terror perhaps?

^Although it's a nice amp, the TS said he needs decent cleans to take his pedals. He also said the amps distortion is of no interest to him.

I would also recommend a Fender Valve, possibly a Blues Junior like this one:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Blues-Junior-NOS-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483711

Mmmm....NOSsy goodness.
Quote by Hadeed
a tiny terror perhaps?

A tiny terror head here will set me back $700 or so. That leaves $300 for a cabinet, and I doubt I could find one for that price, as much as I love Orange (I had a Crush 30R for a while, and for a 30W SS amp it was gold).
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
And a Blues Jr costs $1200. Since It's my parents who are buying (I don't have a job, and I'm saving all my money for next year) I doubt the budget is negotiable although it is possible.

http://rockshop.co.nz/04/start.php will give you an idea of what kind of prices I'm looking at, although thankfully there are other products avaliable at other places. I would go the buy online route, but Guitar Center, Musicians Friend and Sam Ash all say they don't ship overseas. If anyone knows anywhere I can buy online and they ship internationally, please let me know.
Quote by Cathbard
bump
Quote by Cathbard