I'm currently using a Vox AD30VT (That's the Valvetronix series modelling amps)...

Anyways, I really like the amp because of it's versatility (Duh) and good tones at very high volumes (The amp on almost any setting, cleans included, can drown out a drummer)...

But... The amp has good tones but not GREAT tones... You may aswell throw out the eq controls on the amp because they don't do much and many of the sounds are very processed...

So I've been looking for an amp..

-the same size-ish. (The Vox is a 30 watt)
-Great cleans
-Can hold it's own in high gain settings
-Decent price...

So the Peavey Valveking 112 combo amp looks pretty good, and the reviews look great!

How loud is this combo amp?
Will it last a long time?
Any others that I should check out?
Good Cleans?
Really great Cleans?
****ing perfect cleans?

How much do you think I could sell the Vox For (Perfect condition, with manuals)?
i have both amps and i use my flanger to connect both amps. i use both at same time
Quote by Julz127
I don't actually use toilet paper, I use sweet chili sauce and sandpaper, cause I'm a man.
The valveking is a cheap, loud, tube amp with a wide range of gain.

The cleans are lifeless though. IMO
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Not only did you not help me out when you responded to the thread...

But you've proven yourself a homophobe...

The reason why I have "Pierre" as my avatar was I thought it to be much more funny and clever than homer simpson, and I don't care for zack wylde as my avatar...

So you also missed a joke.

Stupid, unhelpful, Homophobe...

lol

Also, the Peavey windsor studio looks nice, but the only videos i can find don't have clean sounds, just good bluesy gain.

EDIT:
For cleans, I use the tweed mostly, it gives the warmest and punchiest sound without having gain... Sometimes I use the Blackface when jamming for a powerful mid/treble rhythm guitar sound.

For high gain the UK 80s or UK Modern.

For the high gain ones, I sometimes scoop the mids for a solo sound...

Reverb and compressor are my main effects.
Last edited by roshjosh at Sep 12, 2008,
You scoop your mids for leads? gross.......

Anyway, that VK will last you for a really long time if you take care of it. And I think it sounds loads better than any valvetronix amp.

The cleans on the VK are good, but not great since it's a tube amp. (You expect better cleans from them than SS)

I would say definitely the ValveKing over the Windsor studio. Those things are garbage.

And you could probably sell that Valvetronix for....... I dunno... $200?
Quote by roshjosh
For cleans, I use the tweed mostly, it gives the warmest and punchiest sound without having gain... Sometimes I use the Blackface when jamming for a powerful mid/treble rhythm guitar sound.

For high gain the UK 80s or UK Modern.

For the high gain ones, I sometimes scoop the mids for a solo sound...

Reverb and compressor are my main effects.

Hmm..You probably shouldn't scoop your mids for a lead. In a band situation, this will cause you to get lost in the live mix.

You're in Canada, you should take advantage of that. Look for a Traynor YCV40WR, Traynor YCV50 Blue or Traynor YCS50. Look used, to save some cash.
Great amps. The Blue or the YCS should do what you want. The YCV40 is more similar in voicing to the VK.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hmm..You probably shouldn't scoop your mids for a lead. In a band situation, this will cause you to get lost in the live mix.

You're in Canada, you should take advantage of that. Look for a Traynor YCV40WR, Traynor YCV50 Blue or Traynor YCS50. Look used, to save some cash.
Great amps. The Blue or the YCS should do what you want. The YCV40 is more similar in voicing to the VK.

I've heard lots about Traynor, but the only ones I've seen are out of my price range... (I don't want to spend more than 500 as it's early in the year and I'm a student).

And for the mid scooping, it's typically for my personal recordings and when I use jam tracks.... I rarely even use high gain settings when I'm jamming with other people. (Despite enjoying scooped mids, I know how to eq well).

I'll definitely check out the Peavey Classic, though.

How about some of Fenders' Cheaper tube amps?

I'm a big supporter of buying used aswell.
I don't think that the valveking is for you if you're after versatility.

I've found that it's not very responsive, plus it sounds unpleasant.
umm, just letting people know, the AD30VT is a 43 watt.
I can't remember the exact number, but whatever, you get my point
Quote by tjhome28
It annoys me when kids sit there playing the sweet child o mine or smoke on the water intro riff repeatedly
and badly
and so loud the whole shop can't hear themselves think
and with the worst amp settings possible

[/rant]

+1
I like my Valveking but to be quite honest it'll get alot better with some upgrades (overdrive pedal, equalizer pedal, new speakers/new tubes) and 'tricks' (dummy jack in first input slot/effects loop if not using effects, never turning gain past 6 or 7/no gain boost, not using reverb, etc) It's pretty much my only option because of location, though, without being signed to a major label.

EDIT: It's also pretty versatile IMO, I've gotten a nice blues crunch as well as a searing shred lead solo out of it (with Bad Monkey + DD3 for a reverb-ish touch) Hell, I've gotten jazz out of it as well. You just gotta know how to tweak your settings
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??