I want to start playing more complex fingerstyle stuff (I know the basics) and eventually play like Andy Mckee. Anyone know some resources online that can help me? Or some songs to learn? And also, can I play this style on a shitty nylon guitar?
complex prog stuff huh...k. i got 1 for you.

e--------------0--------------------------------------------7/8--10----------------------
b-----------0----0---6---------------------------------8--------------10\9--------------
g--------5----------------7-------------------------9--------------------------7\5-------
d-----6-----------------------7------6/7---9/10-------------------------------------6--
a--7------------------------------8--------------------------------------------------------
e-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---3--2-1-----------1---2---2--3--1/1----4/4---3--2---1/1--3----3\3---1\1---2--

replay that in your own pace dude. you can let it ring if you want. sounds cool either way if played at a nice pace. but trust me with effort youll be happy.

here i gots another 1 for you. this 1 is more difficult tho.
e-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Pinch Harm on the last 8
b---------------------9\8------------------------------------------------- of the G string.
g--8------------8/9-------8-------------9---8-------------8/9--8~~~
d-----9------9-----------------------8-----------9------9---------------
a--------11-------------------10--------------------11-----------------
e--------------------------------------------------------------------------
do the fingering the most comfortable way possible man.
e---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b---------------------9\8----------------------12---14---------12---------------------------------12~~~
g--8------------8/9-------8/12---13---15---------------15--------13---15---11---13---15------------
d-----9------9--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a--------11------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd part of above. again do it confortly and take your time.

just practice these to get started. this is what actually got me started on finger action. hope it helps you man. all this effort so you and who ever looks this up gets skills.
Last edited by Jezuse at Sep 12, 2008,
Might want to elaborate on what you know. You know to use your thumb for EAD and then your other fingers (not including the pinky) for the remaining three?

You should learn a few songs with consistent patterns so that you can get a feel for the motion of your fingers. You want the movement to be fluid! Good songs for this are Dust in the Wind (boring, but it gets that fluid motion), End of an Anchor by dashboard confessional, and Spanish Romance. Other than that, Simon and Garfunkel is pretty difficult and could be a good stepping stone to more difficult pieces, such as Andy McKee.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
If you want to learn Andy Mckee stuff, start with Ouray or All Laid Back and Stuff, which are two of his simplest songs.