Just wondering because I can't find a comfortable enough spot to sit while I play. I usually sit on the edge of my bed, but I want to be able to sit infront/near the computer when I play so I can read tabs and such. My computer chair has arms on it that get in the way too much and I tried to use a bar stool, but I was sitting too high up and couldn't get my right leg into a comfortable position. I was considering buying a cheap drum throne (like this one) but I wanna see what you guys do.
I unscrewed the arms on my computer chair, are you able to do that?
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by copet

lol, yea. That was the first thing I did a couple months back, but I got sick of not having arm rests when I was actually using the computer, so I put them back on.
that just gave me an idea, gonna try to do that tomorrow i always having problem with how i sit
Bedroom Set up:

ESP LTD EC-400 with 81/60 EMG
Yamaha SJ550HR, 1980's Strat (rare guitar)
Crate v18
Digitech Bad Monkey
Vintage 30 Speaker
Metal Muff

Saving up for ESP Uruha's Signature Guitar
Get a laptop then you can move around freely with the use of a router. . . that's how I roll.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
I'd say that you should practice in the way you want to perform. So standing or sitting, that's your call.

I'd think it would be a good idea to invest in comfortable seating. Try finding a chair that you can raise or lower. I guess you're on the right track with the drum throne.

Luckily for me I have a chair that has moving arm rests. *fist pump*
Quote by copet

I have a computer chair without arms...
Use a different chair (like a kitchen chair) when you practice infront of the computer. That said, the majority of the time I'll practice away from the computer, if I need tab I'll print it out and look at it elsewhere.

If I'm doing strength/speed drills I'll usually practice infront of the tv, because they really aren't that interesting to play, or listen to.
Quote by david_highland
If I can't get comfortable sitting I just stand...

I always did this. My other friends always had problems transferring to standing while we played, it just came naturally for me since I always practiced standing... now I can't sit and play lol.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by JilaX^
I stand. You should do so to

+1 to this; all the chops in the world won't do you any good if you can't play standing up.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I try to stand as much as poss but I also purchased a cheap padded computer chair to play on in my room as sitting on the bed felt arkward and uncomfortable. That stool looks like it would be a good purchase.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
My computer chair has arms too, so all I do is sit farther forward on the seat, and I don't lean on the back rest. This works well, then sometimes I'll just stand and walk around.
Take one arm off your computer chair like I did. If you're right handed it's the right arm which gets in the way. And you can still lean on your left arm when using the computer.
Quote by Blecter
My computer chair has arms too, so all I do is sit farther forward on the seat, and I don't lean on the back rest. This works well, then sometimes I'll just stand and walk around.

This hurts my back. Just stand up like a real man.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
i usually just stand up because i think that learning something sitting down and then going to play it standing up makes it a little bit more odd in some way if u ask me when u go to play it
I have two chairs.
One for computer, and one for guitar.
One with, and one without arms.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
In front of the computer with a chair that have armstands. But i sit like this one but with my foot on the computer instead of that thing he has his foot on, so the armstands doesnt bother me at all.

On my bed. Its a platform bed, so its low to the ground, and it feels pretty comfortable.
I try not to stand when I play, mainly because right now my amp is busted, so I only play acoustic.
I lay on my couch and practice there for about 5 hours a day,and when im learning something online,ill just use any chair,because for some reason theres not many chairs with arms in my house
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
I always did this. My other friends always had problems transferring to standing while we played, it just came naturally for me since I always practiced standing... now I can't sit and play lol.

i had that too. except the other way around, i could play standing.

what i did to fix it was adjust the strap of my guitar so that if i stood up the guitar would still be exactly where it was if i sat down.
may i suggest getting a good strap and learning how to play standing up. you tend to develop bad habits when you sit and you begin to hunch over. besides if you ever want to perform, you will have to re-learn a lot of things when you finally do stand up and start playing. the angles are different as is your view of the fretboard.
I tend to throw a pillow on the floor by my couch and sit on that most of time. But I have started to stand while practicing to just to get the feel of it.