hi guys, im new here

so i have been trying to learn to play blues, so i go onto youtube (as you do) and click on one of the hundred thousand blues lessons, anywho there is one guy who says blues is all about phrasing in the style of questions and answers, wtf?

now i know people often refer to guitar licks as word and sentences but i have no idea how to get my guitar to ask a question, (god knows how i can make it answer)

some please explain!!
pretend your guitar is a voice, and have a conversation with it. depressing, aggressive. yeah. blues.
Phrasing refers to the way in which you put notes together by using length, sliding, pull-offs/hammer-ons, vibrato.

When ppl say that it's like puting a sentence they're trying to compare it to the way in which you may say such sentence. You could shout it, say it fast, slow down at some parts...

get it?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
oh i see, so when you have 2 good blues players together on stage, they are actually conversing!

thats some really useful info, thanks guys!
Quote by evening_crow
Phrasing refers to the way in which you put notes together by using length, sliding, pull-offs/hammer-ons, vibrato.

this is true, but the other key part of phrasing which 90% of people forget is DYNAMICS. You have a dynamic range in your picking hand for a reason, and its not just 'volume full and play'.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
DYNAMICS. You have a dynamic range in your picking hand for a reason, and its not just 'volume full and play'.

-Volume swells (listen to Larry Carlton),
-creating "snaps" on the string by using the underside of your ring and middle digits.

Sometimes blues players, in a certain section of a song will hook the pick under their hand and play with the thumb and fingers to change dynamics.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 12, 2008,
I THINK what he's trying to say is that blues is about point-counterpoint playing.

Playing a phrase(sequence of notes) then complimenting it with another phrase.

He could also be referring to a type of playing where two guitarists "trade" phrases, also called "call and answer". Where one guitarist plays a phrase, and the other responds, completely impromptu, mind you.

I think you're looking for meaning one though.
hue
I think what he's referring to is what's formally known as antecedent-consequent phrasing. The antecedent, or "question", should not sound like a complete, resolved musical idea on its own. Finish that phrase on a note that wants to resolve somewhere else; don't, for example, land on a fifth or a root because those will almost always sound well-resolved. Then, because the tension is there, the consequent or "answer" should be a phrase that resolves back to a strong key tone at its conclusion.
I really laughed at the bit at the end of your post about asking your guitar and expecting it to answer. Being literal minded, I was picturing all kinds of funny stuff.

Anyway, you can try the following to experiment with putting this into practice.

Make up a nonsensical (or not) question. With words, not on the guitar.
Improvise some notes on the guitar, while speaking the question over them. When you have something that sounds like it fits, this is the question phrase.

Do the same thing for the answer.

One thing to note, is it's not always just Q-A. You can use many combos like QQA then QA, for example.

This sort of stuff isn't really my strong suite, but this is my understanding of how it works.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by deepkick
hi guys, im new here

so i have been trying to learn to play blues, so i go onto youtube (as you do) and click on one of the hundred thousand blues lessons, anywho there is one guy who says blues is all about phrasing in the style of questions and answers, wtf?

now i know people often refer to guitar licks as word and sentences but i have no idea how to get my guitar to ask a question, (god knows how i can make it answer)

some please explain!!

don't just learn about the blues. learn to play some actual blues music as well.

All questions regarding blues phrasing will become apparent when you have some experience with the music itself.

If you don't know what phrasing is (as it sounds by your question), I would highly recommend getting a grasp on the fundamentals. You should know what measures (bars) are and be able to count them. You should understand forms (such as a 12 bar blues). That foundation in combination with actual musical experience will give you a context with which to understand what a phrase is, and subsequently what phrasing is.

Keep in mind that if you don't have the proper background to truly understand what phrasing is, you can pickup on it naturally simply by learning and imitating the music of others. Hopefully your knowledge will catch up as you continue to study music.

So to recap:

- learn the music itself

- get a firm grasp on the fundamentals so you can understand the music your are learning.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 12, 2008,