What do u think would be the best humbucking pickup for an EVH Frankenstrat Replica.
and does anyone know where to get mail-order an Seymour DUncan EVH Custom pu?

Open to all suggestions.

Crybaby Classic Wah-Wah
DS-1 Distortion
MXR Eddie Van Halen Phaser
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the frankestrat's pickup just a neck pickup from a gibson es335
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
yer, i believe it is.. would that just be a standard Gibson PAF? or did the es-355 have something else? excuse the basic question.. im not very well versed in gibsons..

Crybaby Classic Wah-Wah
DS-1 Distortion
There are any number of pickups out on the market that replicate the pickup in the Frankenstrat and I find it hard to believe that any of them are any worse than the one in the Fender replica which, from what I know, is completely unavailable to the public unless you buy the guitar.

Try looking around for other PAF style pickups, there must be another one that does the job just as well. I suggest looking into the Bareknuckle VHII.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Bareknuckle VHII.

Probably the closest you'll get short of getting an original PAF.

Check the bareknuckle website for a few soundclips, as they are designed to be like the PAF Van Halen used.

I find that for a Van Halen sound, its much more down to the amp however, and any average passive humbucker will work. Maybe look down that line....
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by mck_776
Probably the closest you'll get short of getting an original PAF.

Check the bareknuckle website for a few soundclips, as they are designed to be like the PAF Van Halen used.

I find that for a Van Halen sound, its much more down to the amp however, and any average passive humbucker will work. Maybe look down that line....

It's the amp and the effects he used, but mainly the amp . The pickup is not that important , I think it just needs to be a high output one ?
in the origanal it was a gibson paf but he potted it in melted surfboard wax and rewound it. well thats what i read in a interveiw with him :P
My Gear...

*1967 Flying V Alpine White "Kimberley"
*Squire Bullet Strat "Jess"
*Peavey VK112
*Boss ME-50
*Sh*tty Jap tele copy to become my "hard rock" project esquire ill make a thread soon....
Quote by Woozye
It's the amp and the effects he used, but mainly the amp . The pickup is not that important , I think it just needs to be a low output one ?

Corrected.

The biggest part of his sound is running a variac'd plexi at full whack. Hit the strings hard as well.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I suggest looking into the Bareknuckle VHII.

+1
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

I'd check out the Seymour Duncan '78 model which is the closest in my opinion. The trademark of the Frankie pickup was the coils had unbalanced windings. One coil has more windings then the other, giving it its own characteristic tone. The '78 model has this. I'm not sure about the Bareknuckle one as I have never heard of it. Just email Seymour custom shop and say you wanna place an order. Thats the only way to order it or maybe through a music store but I'm sure they'd charge you a bit more for their services as it has to go through SD anyways.
If you want a cheaper alternative, you have to look for a low output PAF hum. The '78 is 9.1k and you won't get anywhere near the tone unless you're cranking your amp. Its a great pickup even if you don't intend to play VH. Very dynamic.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
The '78 Model pickup is a faithful recreation of the legendary low-output, Alnico 2, P.A.F.-style humbucker that Seymour designed in 1978 for various high-profile artists he was working with at the time. This pickup should not be associated with any specific artist.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/custom-shop/humbuckers/78_model_great/
I believe he made the pick up himself.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Thank you all for your quick replies and advice. Im either going to go with a Bareknuckle or a SD EVH Custom which you can order from Seymour Duncan. Thanks again.

Crybaby Classic Wah-Wah
DS-1 Distortion
Quote by pEdAl2
Corrected.

The biggest part of his sound is running a variac'd plexi at full whack. Hit the strings hard as well.

+1 it doesn't matter if he's playin a peavey or charvel, kramer or whatever he still has the same tone.
www.vintagekramer.com/5150f.htm
A cheap altertive solution to getting EVH sound is to get a SD Screamin' Demon... I looked at the spects for both the 78' model and Screamin' Demon and they're almost the same only difference is the DC for screamin' demon is 10 where the 78's is 9.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
I agree on SH-11 being a much better choice. The Screaming Demon is made to be used in bright guitars, maple bodies. Which is why its Lynch's pickup. A great alternative also is the JB. Seymour Duncan can say whatever they want on their site, its for legal reasons. People know that the '78 model is the EVH pickup. Just don't think cause you have the '78 that you will sound like EVH. Tone is mostly in your fingers and your pick attack.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst