Whenever I play with my pinky and third finger combination, the muscle on the edge of my hand becomes incredibly tense, very quickly. I'm pretty sure its not supposed to get this tense, it gets like it even when I'm playing very slowly and my pinky becomes practically useless because the muscle gets so tired.

Thoughts?

For those who don't know me I've been playing for 6 years and I do exercises for coordination and strength regularly.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
The main reason that I can think of would be that you just haven't used that combination of fingers enough; try building speed and stamina on some trilling exercises using only those two fingers and see if that helps.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The main reason that I can think of would be that you just haven't used that combination of fingers enough; try building speed and stamina on some trilling exercises using only those two fingers and see if that helps.

da.

train those all. but especially 3rd and 4th finger trills. or just legato up and down the fretboard with string skipping, etc etc.
I suppose thats the answer, I'll try doing just do those exercises for a few hours a night and see if it improves. Like I said I've been playing for years and have always used those two fingers.

Quote by public property
I suppose thats the answer, I'll try doing just do those exercises for a few hours a night and see if it improves. Like I said I've been playing for years and have always used those two fingers.

Don't beat up on it for hours at a time. This isn't going to go away in a couple of days. Just work on it for the first 10-15 minutes of your playing every day after warming up. Just commit to doing that for as long as it takes.
I already do those exercises for 10 - 15 minutes, concentrating on those fingers, thats why I'm saying maybe I should do it for a few hours.

Ah, ok. Then you need the chromatics on steroids exercise. This one has been very helpful for me, and it's what I currently warm up on.

The idea is to take the chromatic exercise where you start each string on a different finger.

e.g.

-----------2-3-4-1-
-1-2-3-4-----------

And apply a 4 note sequence to them. So it would start out like this:

--------------2----2-3---2-3-4-2-3-4-1
1-2-3-4-2-3-4---3-4----4-------------------

and so on. Let me know if you'd like me to pm you the power tab for the whole thing.

The other thing I'd try is legato'ing between the 12th and 15th fret of the B string, with your pinky, while leaving your middle and ring fingers down on the 13th and 14th frets of the high E (but not playing anything with them).
Last edited by se012101 at Sep 12, 2008,
Those exercises all feel useful, to give you an idea, heres the hardest thing for me, this tires out my hand very quickly

E-------------10----------10-12----10-12-13
B-10-12-13-----12-13---------13------------

Quote by public property
Those exercises all feel useful, to give you an idea, heres the hardest thing for me, this tires out my hand very quickly

E-------------10----------10-12----10-12-13
B-10-12-13-----12-13---------13------------

Ah-ha! Then I definately think the sequence chromatic thing above will do wonders for you. The other cool thing about this exercise is that it's very "brainscrambling" when played the whole way through, so you really have to concentrate on it. So I find that if I use it as my warm up, it really gets me quickly into guitar mode and out of work mode, because of the concentration required. I also found it to be good practice for my alternate picking.
and then do that same exercise with the ones i posted xD
you'll be mentally exhausted half way through lol
i'm gonna do that too tho. to get my finger memory on.

and oh, i forgot to mention, you should do them all the way from fret 1 to 12. that's what's gonna really get you worked up.
Last edited by RCalisto at Sep 12, 2008,
seen as everyone else is mentioning exercises i thought it was important to mention some technique - are you using too much pressure when using those finger combinations? or is your hand tense? cos i cant see your hand getting tired so easily if youve playing that long - I personally have no problems with my little finger and im confident it is a result of having a light touch
I don't play very hard, but sometimes I get alot of tension in my hand. When switching from 3rd to pinky, lowering my pinky gives me alot of tension as I raise my 3rd finger off. I would have thought the tension would ease over time as the tendons got used to working seperately, but alas they haven't.