Ok I hope there's some larpers out there 'cos otherwise I'm screwed. I'm doing a sociology project in school about larpers, my friend hasn't done shit about it and I can't do anything alone 'cos she has all the answers we've got so far. And it's gotta be finished like.. Today. Haha. Sooo.. I hope someone answers!

The topic is basically how your in-game character influences your own personality and vice versa.

How long have you larped?

Do you rather play a female or a male character?

Have you played the same character more than once? If so, how has the character developed from previous times?

If the character isn't made by you, is it easy for you to mold the character's personality so it's easier for you to play? Or do you even want to do that?

How easy is it for you to adapt to your character?

How similar are the characters you play to your own characteristics/persona? Is there any characteristic that all of your characters have? Or do you have a characteristic all your characters have?

Onko helppo pelata hahmolla, mikä eroaa muista hahmoista, joilla olet pelannut? Is it easy for you to play characters that are different from other characters you've played/yourself?

Do you rather take characters that are similar to you, or do you tend to chose characters that are as different to you as they possibly can? Why?

Any other comments? Anything is welcome! Seriously, ANYTHING relevant to the topic. It will help out loads.

I hope your answers are as detailed as possible, so preferably no one-word answers! (except age and gender of course) And I hope the questions aren't too weird, the original questions were in Finnish so there might be something I messed up. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks a TON to anyone who answers!
Last edited by havanna at Sep 12, 2008,
Live Action Role Play, Dungeons and Dragons type dealio. Nerds sat around a table rolling dice and shoting KAZZAKALAALA BOLT!
lightening bolt! lightening bolt! lol I commend you sir you truly have some iron balls to post this on a guitar forum. BTW Nice avatar I love the first album from the Clash. Anyways sorry I couldn't help, hope the project goes well.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Sep 12, 2008,
Quote by JackalUK
Live Action Role Play, Dungeons and Dragons type dealio. Nerds sat around a table rolling dice and shoting KAZZAKALAALA BOLT!

Sitting around a table? LARP is when they actually go outside with their home built armor/plastic swords and play the actual game hand to hand.

And, no, I don't do this. Sorry, TS.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
That is even worse, at least when they sit around a table people don't see them
maybe you should go on a forum for LARPing. Or pick an activity that a larger number of people participate in.
Quote by PCbassist
maybe you should go on a forum for LARPing. Or pick an activity that a larger number of people participate in.

Yeah well I've already posted on a couple and no one has answered! It wasn't my decision to chose larpers, I would have taken something else but my friend wanted to do the project about larping so yeah.. Whatever.
I haven't larped in forever. Our larping didn't involve dice though. It mainly consisted of beating each other with padded weaponry (while staying in a period/fantasy persona)

Age:18, though this information is from when I was 15-16

How long have you larped?
Like a year.

Do you rather play a female or a male character?
I played a male character.

Have you played the same character more than once? If so, how has the character developed from previous times?
We usually would play the same 'characters', though there was no binding information. It isn't as if we had statistics beyond "w/l/t, head shots, longest survival time" and such. The characters were mainly for name and classing reference. I played a somewhat grunt/sideman and protected a leader position.

If the character isn't made by you, is it easy for you to mold the character's personality so it's easier for you to play? Or do you even want to do that?
n/a, somewhat... I prefer to play guard to a leader than a scout looking for an objective or the leader of a charge or something.

How easy is it for you to adapt to your character?
Depends on what you mean. Our personas were pretty down and battles were usually non-canon. Sometimes we would have little canons (stories, basically) and yes, characters would be adapted to fit them.

How similar are the characters you play to your own characteristics/persona? Is there any characteristic that all of your characters have? Or do you have a characteristic all your characters have?
Very similar. We were a Viking band of sorts. My character was picked up in a village by the second-in-command and raised as a little brother of sorts (quite fun, being that the second-in-command was my in life brother (HAH, foodlord has issues! He only feels close to his brother in LARP! Hah hah! (That was a joke, btw))) Somewhat small for a formal body guard, I kind of just protect against stealthy things. Most of my attacks had to be made in stealthy means as well.

Is it easy for you to play characters that are different from other characters you've played/yourself?
No.

Do you rather take characters that are similar to you, or do you tend to chose characters that are as different to you as they possibly can? Why?
I'm not sure... Probably at the time they were.

Any other comments? Anything is welcome! Seriously, ANYTHING relevant to the topic. It will help out loads.
The LARPING I am familiar with seems different from these questions: Dagorhir
check it out I guess.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by SkaJon
lightening bolt! lightening bolt! lol I commend you sir you truly have some iron balls to post this on a guitar forum. BTW Nice avatar I love the first album from the Clash. Anyways sorry I couldn't help, hope the project goes well.

Haha well I'm not a sir And yeah I figured I'd just get answers like this but I don't care 'cos I don't larp! Yup, the first record is great, and I don't think it's gonna go very well haha, but thanks anyway! I'll try..

edit/ Thanks lordofthefood1!!
Quote by havanna
Haha well I'm not a sir And yeah I figured I'd just get answers like this but I don't care 'cos I don't larp! Yup, the first record is great, and I don't think it's gonna go very well haha, but thanks anyway! I'll try..

edit/ Thanks lordofthefood1!!

You owe me a very large e-cookie, cheezeburgerz, and a hug if you are an attractive female.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
You owe me a very large e-cookie, cheezeburgerz, and a hug if you are an attractive female.

*hug*

one vision, yeah I think that's pretty much my only option right now haha. I did that for my last project and nobody noticed, so why not?
Quote by jasp0r
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw&feature=related

LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT!

Hah. Yeah, we didn't do those sorts of things.

Here is the stuff I did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0PQvzr-MCA
Now say his name.....
I know a guy who Larps. Sadly I hate him, so I can't help you out. Sorry. I only came on here 'cos I thought we had discovered a new word for fapping
Quote by pawnshopguitars
I know a guy who Larps. Sadly I hate him, so I can't help you out. Sorry. I only came on here 'cos I thought we had discovered a new word for fapping

Haha well that's too bad.. Fortunately I've already written about a page with the help of some minor (well, major actually) bullshitting, so I don't have to write that much anymore I guess. But any more answers are still welcome, the more I get the better!
Lightening Bolt, Lightening Bolt
you are hearing me talk

CHECK OUT MY TUNES ON MY PROFILE

Gear:

laney VC30
tele/jaguar hybrid
Big muff
Small clone chorus
memory boy
Hadrwire RV-7 reverb
DD3 delay
Dunlop Crybaby wah