Page 1 of 2
First, if you are going to sit here and blab without contributing to my question please don't post.

Anyways, I'm going to sell my dirtbike for a drum set. I'm looking for something simple, as I play on my brothers uber drum set and don't use everything. Now I have an idea as to what I want in my set, but I have no idea of what the tone and pitch of ANY given drum will sound like.

So, going for something with punch and some depth, what brand should I look at? I don't want a carboard sound, but I don't want high pitch shiveled up pickle sounds either.

Thanks for any help.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
That would be a good idea, but he is currently 500 miles away at college right now x_x
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
i've heard that cutting holes in the bass drum/s makes it a bit more deep and echo-y or something. i don't know, i'm not a drummer
Tama's are good all 'rounders, look into 'em, or maybe Pearl.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
I think it depends on your budget a lot. My drummer bought an extensive Taye (spelling?) set that ran him well over a grand, minus the cymbals. From what you've said i think you'd like the sound of his drums, but I couldn't tell you what woods they are and stuff, sry lol. I definitely would check out Taye drums though, my drummer really liked them

Edit: Also, he uses hydraulic heads, which are like two heads sandwhiched together with oil in the middle. I think they would give you the depth your looking for.
"Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll,
Speed, Weed, and Birth Control,
Life's a Bitch Until We Die,
So F*ck this World,
Let's All Get High"

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I spent 3 years in a Tibetan Monastery to learn how to fap just using the power of my mind...
Last edited by Gary791 at Sep 12, 2008,
go to guitar center or where ever and try out some kits til you find one you like...although the heads would play a part in that, tama, pearl and a couple others i can't remember put out some good kits.
check out the gretsch catalina maple or birch set. they have amazing tone for the price after you swap out the heads and tune them.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Try out the kits, and get something you like the sound of.

Get a good snare and kick drum pedal too!
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Protip: Take me with you. Seriously, get a sabian B8 cymbal pack, a hi-hat stand, two boom stands, one cymbal stand, and a standard kit with three toms, one snare, and a bass drum. Also, get a bass pedal.
Maybe ask the people who work in the store... generally they know about these things.

OR take white_venom with you, because he sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

MICROWAVABLE SOCKS
I'm surprised that this isn't closed yet. Drum threads are like rat poison to UG.

How much are you willing to spend? I have no clue what dirtbikes cost
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Last edited by Chips- at Sep 12, 2008,
Go to chinese shop, buy chop sticks.
Search kitchen for pots and pans.
Quote by stratocaster7
Maybe ask the people who work in the store... generally they know about these things.

OR take white_venom with you, because he sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
I'm sigging this, because I never get recognition.
Quote by funkbass369
check out the gretsch catalina maple or birch set. they have amazing tone for the price after you swap out the heads and tune them.

Listen to this guy. I have a Gretsch Catalina Rock set. It's amazing.

Oh, and this is the first time I think UG is finiding out I'm a drummer.

Not that UG cares... on account it's ultimate-guitar
Click here

Quote by White_Venom1993
Protip: Take me with you. Seriously, get a sabian B8 cymbal pack, a hi-hat stand, two boom stands, one cymbal stand, and a standard kit with three toms, one snare, and a bass drum. Also, get a bass pedal.

DO NOT GET THE B8 cymbal pack. it's horrible. look for the Paiste PS5 pack on ebay. the PS5's sound a little thin but they're definatley the best value and they are 10 times better than the Sabian B8's.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Get a Pearl VBX kit, a pearl 900 series hardware pack (if it doesn't come with the kit) and a paiste ps5 cymbal pack. I play the drums I have a pearl masters kit and also an export on the way...pearl really knows how to make drums.
So I've been seeing a lot, well some stuff, about Pearl and Gretcsh. So I know I'm supposed to go to a store and try things out for myself such as the mentioned brands,which I will test; though not knowing anything about drums and testing them would be like using a water pistol to kill a bear because you had no knowledge about guns and thought the flowers on the side of it gave you flower power.

My point is that I will test out store stocked items, but asking for an opinion never hurts and will give me a good lead from the second I walk into a store.

Thanx for everyone's help, and for not bashing my thread.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
pm'ed
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
Quote by funkbass369
DO NOT GET THE B8 cymbal pack. it's horrible. look for the Paiste PS5 pack on ebay. the PS5's sound a little thin but they're definatley the best value and they are 10 times better than the Sabian B8's.

Yeah listen to this guy my first cymbals were B8's and they are absolute trash I got rid of them after 6 months because they sounded like tin cans
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
Lol, maybe I want tin cans on my set O_o

If I did, surely I would buy some soup and use those with various levels of content left in them for tone!

I have heard Paiste are good, but rather expensive?
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
i have a ddrum dominion player AMX 4-Piece(play a lot of jazz) and i use remo pin stripe heads and i can get almost any kind of sound out of that kit. its all really on how you tune your drum heads. i.e. loose for a deeper jazz sounding pop to them or tight like progressive drummers so they sound really snappy. and as for cymbals zildjian and sabian make really solid cymbals. good bass pedals and stands are a must to you will be happy with the extra money you spend.
Quote by fudger
i have a ddrum dominion player AMX 4-Piece(play a lot of jazz) and i use remo pin stripe heads and i can get almost any kind of sound out of that kit. its all really on how you tune your drum heads. i.e. loose for a deeper jazz sounding pop to them or tight like progressive drummers so they sound really snappy. and as for cymbals zildjian and sabian make really solid cymbals. good bass pedals and stands are a must to you will be happy with the extra money you spend.

So going on the tuning subject, how do you know what to tune to? Guitarists and Bassist have, well... tuners. Is there a device that uses the same concept for drummers or is it matching them to each other by ear, and to what sounds good to you?
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
Quote by AfroMan Skeeter
So going on the tuning subject, how do you know what to tune to? Guitarists and Bassist have, well... tuners. Is there a device that uses the same concept for drummers or is it matching them to each other by ear, and to what sounds good to you?

its really what sounds good to you. like i said i tune my a little loose to have a more of a deeper thud sound. but the tighter you go the sharper it will sound. just use you ear and find out what sounds good to you its all trial and error you will get the hang of it after messin around for a while.
they have drum tuners which really help.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
they have drum tuners which really help.

Yeah, I have heard of something like that... would you have a link to something by chance?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Drumdial-Drum-Tuner?sku=442160
That's what I found, and I'm assuming that's what a drum tuner is.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
Quote by maggot9779
Our drummer uses a Mapex kit with the flames on it and it sounds pretty badass

Alright, what kind of music do you play?
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
Quote by AfroMan Skeeter
Alright, what kind of music do you play?

We play metal mainly. But our drummer sometimes plays some latin beats lol
Quote by maggot9779
We play metal mainly. But our drummer sometimes plays some latin beats lol

Hahah mostly metal with some latin, I don't see that set around anywhere. Was it a beginner set? Because I'm not looking to spend thousands on a set.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
I couldn't find it either.

I'm pretty sure it's not a beginner set. I think it cost like £600 (around $1200).

I'll ask him on Saturday if you want.
Oh ok, yeah that would be cool
I think I've settled on a beginngers kit I found on a site though, it's like 400 bucks with hardware and cymbals. With the extra cash I'm saving I can eventually just buy news head and cymbals for that.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
Quote by AfroMan Skeeter
Oh ok, yeah that would be cool
I think I've settled on a beginngers kit I found on a site though, it's like 400 bucks with hardware and cymbals. With the extra cash I'm saving I can eventually just buy news head and cymbals for that.

You know what i'm doing? It's my birthday in like 12 days so i'm gonna get a small electronic drumkit and use the midi out on that to plug into my Fast Track Pro and use the samples from DFH Superior.

It's not the best solution but it is the easiest when you are learning. Then later on when I get better i'll splash out on a proper kit.
That's a good idea, and I would do the same if my parents were supportive of this idea. But, I'ma bassist at heart and they don't plan on buying anything else musically related at the moment.

My birthday is in 6 days, so I'll have cash from that too to add to my set :] Orrr to pay for the shipping or gas to drive to a "local" Guitar Center.

I think the e-drumkit you're getting would be a good start, or a beginnger set that you can upgrade like me.
I'm going with the Pulse Pro 5 piece drum set with cymbals and hardware, and then just learning with that.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
Quote by AfroMan Skeeter
That's a good idea, and I would do the same if my parents were supportive of this idea. But, I'ma bassist at heart and they don't plan on buying anything else musically related at the moment.

My birthday is in 6 days, so I'll have cash from that too to add to my set :] Orrr to pay for the shipping or gas to drive to a "local" Guitar Center.

I think the e-drumkit you're getting would be a good start, or a beginnger set that you can upgrade like me.
I'm going with the Pulse Pro 5 piece drum set with cymbals and hardware, and then just learning with that.

I think when you are learning, a kit is a kit. Sound isn't really important unless you plan to gig/record with it. The main thing is getting co-ordination and keeping in time, you don't need sound for that
Yeah basically, and I'm not looking to record that's fer sure lol. I do want to beat the shit out of my set when I play though, like take care of it how I can but play to my bodies ability I want to get involved unlike some drummers who just chill and barely move around.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
I gots the B8s and I like them, I suppose it depends on the room your're playing in. Ask in the shop, and try out a few kits till you find something you like, bearing in mind that i) the room you're playing in ii) your sticks and iii) your skins all make massive differences to the sound you get from your drums. I'd recommend he Sabian B8 cymbal set, but again try a few out in the shop. get boom cymbal stands because they're so much easier to get the cymbal exctly where you want it. and get a good bass pedal (if you only want a single pedal, they're not that pricey, I have a Pearl P120P, and its pretty good, and not too expensive either).

last piece of advice, get a cowbell, they're cheap and an unbelievable amount of fun - more cowbell anyone? I got mine for £13 ($6.50) including a clip that attaches it to the BD, tbh, if they're decent the drum shop might throw one in if you're buying a full kit.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
the pulse pro 5 wqas my first kit. it's decent for the price and you won't get much better value than that. the cymbals that came with the set are terrible though. if you can i'd try to replace with with paiste pst5's but if you can't then the pulse ones will still get the job done.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M