Page 1 of 3
Someone in another thread said that many UGers HATE Marshall MGs... why?

I was thinking of getting an MG100HDFX, I'm on a really tight budget, I played one at the new Guitar Factory in my town and it sounded good to me at a decent volume.

I know my own opinion should be the one that encourages me to get/not get one, but just out of curiosity, why are they disliked so much around here?
Search "MG hate" with the searchbar, and you will find some answers.

Honestly, if it sounds good to you, who cares? There is a general consensus on this site that the MG is an insanely overpriced amp, sure it's decent for bedroom practice, but on a gigging scale, it's just an over-sized practice amp.
With the same $600, you could buy a used tube amp or even a nicer used SS, depending on what you play. Which is good and better with/without PA.

Since this will most likely end up in a suggestion of amps, what DO you play?
Get a Randall RG50TC. Best budget combo amp for metal with good cleans.

Check the price...that's right. You will end up paying more for a transistor stack that doesn't even sound good at high volumes than a Tube amp that can be very loud at gigs and sound great. Trust me...don't fall into the MG trap.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Quote by dudey5691
Since this will most likely end up in a suggestion of amps, what DO you play?

Huge variety of things, I play just about anything. Pop, Metal, Rock, even play some dance music on my guitar. I'd need something fairly versatile, cost is the main problem. I'm not exactly rolling in the simoleons.

It'd be mainly a practice amp, school gigs, etc.
I had an MG for a practice amp, but at loud volumes it sounded terrible. Nothing but a muddy distortion. Take that $600 and get the used tube OR get a Spider Bogner 112 tube amp brand new. I have the 212 model, and I love it. Sounds great and is plenty versatile and loud
I don't hate them, personally as a group - just the one I owned through college. I have avoided every other one since. And for good reason - it made me nearly hate playing guitar. Good nuff?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You aren't going to get an amazing, versatile amp for that price...

I'm in the same boat as you but my budget is $800 AUD. I was looking at a Crate V series. Its tube, it sounds good. Pretty versatile. Stick a Bad Monkey OD pedal in there and your good to go. I just have to save up for the damn thing now.
Everyone seems to overlook the Tube Randalls. Randall RH50T and RG50TC are splendid amps. Versatile and warm sounding. And thats what will get crushing distortion

I would spend the same amount of money tht would go into a MG on one of those.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

I'm assuming your budget is $600USD, since things are crazy expensive in Australia?

Used Peavey Classic 30 with money to spare for an OD, EQ, effects?
Valveking would work if you find one for under $300.

Other people will help more, though. I can almost guarantee I get flamed for suggesting a VK... they aren't as bad as people make them out to be.
My budget is pretty much anything under $1000AUD.

I'd rather an amplifier with a decent distortion built in than loading it up with pedals.

Thanks for your input guys =]
Quote by slickerthnsleek

I'd rather an amplifier with a decent distortion built in than loading it up with pedals.

And you were looking at an MG for decent distortion???
Just kidding, in a very serious fashion, that is meant to disclose any real evidence of my humility towards said statement.

The Peavey Classic gets everything you need except metal without the OD and EQ... it just sounds loads better with those included.
The Valveking doesn't sound bad, but wouldn't be good for you since you want an immediate purchase.

THIS with a tube and speaker replacement would be really good for you.
All you'd have to do was pick it up, you could probably even test it out!

**there are some Laney's on AuEbay, too, so check them out if you're willing to drive a bit to get them.

Marshall JCM800 in your area Buger 6260 (I'm not sure on the clone numbers, sorry) but it's Buy-It-Now
Last edited by dudey5691 at Sep 12, 2008,
Above poster, DSL401 new will cost about $1400, or $850ish second hand. Not enough money left over for tubes or a speaker swap.

Randall RG50TC
Peavey Valveking 112
Fender Pro Junior
Fender Blues Junior
Vox AD100VT
Vox AD100VT-XL
Roland Cube 60
Ashton VP-50
Vox AC15 CC1

Voila. A list of fairly decent combo amps, with enough volume for most uses, all sub $1000. All brand new, all very easy to find. I don't list Bugera, because the prices on the combos are all over the shop in my experience, so I don't know if you'll be able to find one in your price range.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by dudey5691
Honestly, if it sounds good to you, who cares? There is a general consensus on this site that the MG is an insanely overpriced amp, sure it's decent for bedroom practice, but on a gigging scale, it's just an over-sized practice amp.
With the same $600, you could buy a used tube amp or even a nicer used SS, depending on what you play. Which is good and better with/without PA.

THIS.

There are tonnes of reviews screaming crap and amazing on GuitarCenter.com and MusiciansFriend.com, if YOU LIKE IT, then YOU SHOULD BUY IT. Just make sure it's worth all the money you're dropping on it, no point in getting an amp with bad connotations and realizing you don't like it only to not be able to resell it...

It seems pretty common to have it in a full stack with their own distortion pedals... so there's somewhere to start, I felt it didn't have the distortion or the liveliness I wanted so I went elsewhere.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by slickerthnsleek

I'm with you on the pedal thing, but it a good way to get some dif tones out of an amp. The Randall RG50tc is a great amp suited for metal with good cleans, but it goes for $550 here in the states, $400-$450 used - not sure if you can score that in oz for under 1000AUD. A used Bugera 333xl or 6262 would be worth looking at as well, Mesa F-30 used (again, in oz?) or a standby metal fav of mine, an Hughes and Kettner 20 watt Edition Amp. Gobs of gain and a great clean channel - the reverb I will admit is okay - not great.
But...
If your playing only a bit of metal and more of the other types of stuff - it's a different thing completely. Amps like the PV Classic 30, Laney VC15, PV Delta Blues, Crate VC3112 or Palomino V16 or V32, Epi Valve Standard, Blackheart 15 watt'r, maybe even a Blues Jr. can all do some metal and everything else you list. (These would need a good pedal for metal). You would likely have to buy used where you are but search around and see what's out there. The new Crate series is good and on sale but I'm not sure about in oz.
Knowing what the "tonal priority" really is, is important.

Sry for the long post.
Quote by Cofflecakes
Above poster, DSL401 new will cost about $1400, or $850ish second hand. Not enough money left over for tubes or a speaker swap.

Sorry, I'm too lazy right now to do price conversion...
It's at $400 right now, dunno how long it has though.

That Bugera looks pretty nice, though... dunno the clone-number conversion things though.
Thanks guys, you've been an enormous help. =]

One last question:

My 3 main guitars are a Zakk Wylde LP, an Explorer, and a AXL Strat-style guitar. I play it through a Roland Cube 30 at school and I like the tone I get from that. Another boy in my class has a Fender FM100 and the clean tones are nice, but could do with slightly more distortion.

Would an MG be better than a FM100 or a Cube 60? (I feel like everyone's going to go 'you're an idiot, *reason*', but I'll ask anyway)
We hate them because it's a very loud practice amp, and you should know that volume =/= quality.
The MG would be about on par with the Fender Frontman but behind the Cube in terms of quality.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
my belief is that the Frontman's are built well, at least mine is, but the distortion sucks. Cleans are great. So, I say it is better than an MG but I wouldn't recommend one either. TS - you have been provided a good list.
The cube pwns the MG. Pisses all over it, is a term that comes to mind.
in these types of threads (and we get 1 or 2 a day)

the guys who defend MGs always, always say, "tone is subjective."

even if you want to agree with that statement, and you feel that you like the tone of the mg series, the one thing they CAN Not defend is the shit poor quality of the MG series.

if you were to search "MG broke, burned, smoking, buzzes, filled with bees...", ect. you would see the types of threads we get here, month after month after month.

with that said. at first, you may think the mg tone is fine.
after owning it about 6 months or so, you'll be so fed up with the tone, you'll want to hit it with a hammer. TRust me.

i know you've moved on to other amps, like the Cube, which has a much better quality record, in that same price range. i just wanted to add to this thread because i didn't want you to think that we all gang up on an amp series for the hell of it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Of all the amps mentioned i would reccomend Randall RG50TC for metal. I got the head but i tried the combo. It sounds ****ing awesome. Tight distortion but warm and very rich. Can get you anywhere from a bit OD to Grindcore and Metalcore(with respective OD pedal ofcourse)
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

MG are great amps, if you know how to dial in a good tone. but don't get the 100 watt half stack. i have one, and i love it, but it's to damned loud. unless you're playing an unmiked, large scale event, you will never need to use an amp that loud. get yourself a nice tube amp, like a traynor.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
^Please tell me how they are great amps? I hate getting fished into asking but seriously? Bad build quality, unreliable as a crack addict, what? "know how to dial in tone"? First it has to HAVE tone. I get better distortion farting into a window fan. Stop it, stop it now. I'm sorry you bought one Jhachey22, really I am, sell it on craigslist and take your own advise.

Get a used YCV50Blue, just like the TS should.
Sheesh. Thanks for getting me riled! G'day.
Quote by slickerthnsleek

Start looking at second hand valve (tube to you) amps. I've got a sweet JCM800 on its way to me. Finally getting rid of my MG. Until you play a better amp, you don't realise how terrible they are, trust me.

Get more info off of these guys, and please don't get the MG.
I have personally owned the MG30 and the MG250. I can tell you that while they make decent practice amps with average tone, their quality and reliability is TERRIBLE!!! The fans on the larger models start making annoying sounds a break down, knobs break off easily, jacks stop working, the amp lacks the features of other comparable tube amps, and the built in effects are worthless. My MG250 didnt last more than 7 months before problems started appearing, and i was only gigging with it occasionally.

Do yourself a favour and invest in an amp that will last you a long time. I recommend a Traynor amp of some sort. Both the YCS and YCV series are inexpensive, reliable and sound great! They are also VERY versitile on their own. Plus when you get more money, you can an extension cab to them.
Quote by jj1565
, filled with bees....

+1. I hear MGs make excellent beehives (I guess "hear" isn't the right word here given the context but whatever).

Cube 30 or 60 for a dirt cheap, reasonable option.

RG50TC if you want to do things properly.
^This guy is ****ing right! And if you think that a combo is not enough for you. Go try the randall! I swear you wont turn it past 5-6 on band practices! In your room you will probably have it on 2.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Quote by jj1565
in these types of threads (and we get 1 or 2 a day)

the guys who defend MGs always, always say, "tone is subjective."

even if you want to agree with that statement, and you feel that you like the tone of the mg series, the one thing they CAN Not defend is the shit poor quality of the MG series.

if you were to search "MG broke, burned, smoking, buzzes, filled with bees...", ect. you would see the types of threads we get here, month after month after month.

with that said. at first, you may think the mg tone is fine.
after owning it about 6 months or so, you'll be so fed up with the tone, you'll want to hit it with a hammer. TRust me.

i know you've moved on to other amps, like the Cube, which has a much better quality record, in that same price range. i just wanted to add to this thread because i didn't want you to think that we all gang up on an amp series for the hell of it.

^ this is exactly what i wanted to say, there is no way of defending an MG they are just marshalls way of getting more money out of the name. tbh, I don't even think any of the current marshall are very good at all...

Quote by gregs1020
^Please tell me how they are great amps? I hate getting fished into asking but seriously? Bad build quality, unreliable as a crack addict, what? "know how to dial in tone"? First it has to HAVE tone. I get better distortion farting into a window fan. Stop it, stop it now. I'm sorry you bought one Jhachey22, really I am, sell it on craigslist and take your own advise.

^ lol
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Someone in another thread said that many UGers HATE Marshall MGs... why?

I was thinking of getting an MG100HDFX, I'm on a really tight budget, I played one at the new Guitar Factory in my town and it sounded good to me at a decent volume.

I know my own opinion should be the one that encourages me to get/not get one, but just out of curiosity, why are they disliked so much around here?

I really cba to read this thread, but i read this post and im guessing you've regretted it somewhat by now
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
I don't regret it, I've learnt a lot.

And you ^ I did do some research, but all the sites that I looked on SELL them, so of course the negative reviews are going to be kept to a minimum, it's better to ask people without an agenda for their honest opinion, and the information that has been offered has been somewhat useful to me. I had a look through other threads here, but it was mostly bitch fighting about how shit they are, and nothing about why they're so terrible.

Someone mentioned Randall amps... what is the RX120DHS like? Is it any good?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120DHS-120W-Half-Stack-Guitar-Amp-with-4x12-Cabinet?sku=481269
Quote by dudey5691
Sorry, I'm too lazy right now to do price conversion...
It's at $400 right now, dunno how long it has though.

That Bugera looks pretty nice, though... dunno the clone-number conversion things though.

Bugera | Peavey
333 = XXX
333XL = JSX
6260 = 5150
6262 = 6505

I believe.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I don't regret it, I've learnt a lot.

And you ^ I did do some research, but all the sites that I looked on SELL them, so of course the negative reviews are going to be kept to a minimum, it's better to ask people without an agenda for their honest opinion, and the information that has been offered has been somewhat useful to me. I had a look through other threads here, but it was mostly bitch fighting about how shit they are, and nothing about why they're so terrible.

Someone mentioned Randall amps... what is the RX120DHS like? Is it any good?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120DHS-120W-Half-Stack-Guitar-Amp-with-4x12-Cabinet?sku=481269

You can get a Randall RG50TC for the price of RX12DHS+A good cab. Besides...the Randall RG50TC even got Celestion Rocket 50 speakers so they are decent. It sounds to me you are trying to avoid getting a combo. A stack is not louder than a combo dude. There is hardly any volume difference...only the amount of air they can move. And the 4x12 and head is a bitch to move!

I mean come on! You will probably never turn the combo on full volume and it's ****ing gigable without mic'ing it up!. They are darned loud and powerful i tell you.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

That's the amp! It's plenty louder than a 120 watt solid state. 50 Watts tube is for Large venues too!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Last edited by phenom1991 at Sep 13, 2008,
mg100dfx head = bugera 333xl in price... in fact i think the bugera is cheaper.

Go with that.. or at LEAST try that
Quote by gregs1020

every one is biased against these amps. i have one, it's a great amp, for it's price. obviously it's not a soldano or a two rock, but it's an affordable amp.

1st off, i don't know how may lemons you bought to decide the build quality, but mine fell down a flight of stairs and still worked.

2nd, how is it unreliable? they are tough amps. someone decides to use my cab for their head and forgot to plug mince back in when it was done. it was running for ten minutes before i found out, and it still sounds as good as when i bought it.

3rd, if you know how to tweak an amps settings, you can make any of them sound good. and the distortion on it? it's great. but, like all amps, you can't dial it to 10 and go, you have to set it moderately.

i bet if you let a beginner guitarist on a 65 Soho, he can make it sound shitty. and, coincidentally, most beginners can only afford the MG series. so they dial the gain, treble and contour to ten and hack away at metallica riffs.

please answer me this: Have you ever actually owned one of these amps, or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 13, 2008,
also, for those who think it lacks tone, here is a clip of it for a recording it did. listen to it about 1 min into it. all the effects are from the amp. this is the lead channel "dialed" into a good setting.

i will admit i went overboard with the chorus, but that was just for shits and giggles. but the solo tone it great.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Page 1 of 3