Ok, so valves in a class A tube amp conduct current at all times when powered on, and they are somewhat innefficient and dump a lot of heat out. Does the amount of current flowing to the tubes change as the volume control (or a volume pedal) is opened or closed?

I'm trying to understand if the current is truly the same all the time, or if more or less is applied as the volume control is turned up or down. I have two amps with tubes in them but neither are class A. Lets say if a class A tube amp were cranked to 10, but a volume pedal was mostly closed to where the volume was very low. Would the same amount of current still be passed to the tubes as if the volume pedal was all the way open?

Sorry for the noobish question, I'm trying to understand class A amps better.
I think so, I have a class A amp, and it seems like the louder I play it the hotter the tubes get.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
Quote by ninjafingers
I think so, I have a class A amp, and it seems like the louder I play it the hotter the tubes get.

No you don't. You have a Class A/B amp.

Chances are, the amp the TS is looking at isn't Class A either.
Quote by hunter33
Ok, so valves in a class A tube amp conduct current at all times when powered on, and they are somewhat innefficient and dump a lot of heat out. Does the amount of current flowing to the tubes change as the volume control (or a volume pedal) is opened or closed?

I'm trying to understand if the current is truly the same all the time, or if more or less is applied as the volume control is turned up or down. I have two amps with tubes in them but neither are class A. Lets say if a class A tube amp were cranked to 10, but a volume pedal was mostly closed to where the volume was very low. Would the same amount of current still be passed to the tubes as if the volume pedal was all the way open?

Sorry for the noobish question, I'm trying to understand class A amps better.

Surely would.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this