Page 1 of 2
This was posted in another thread so I'm sorry for the double post.

I bought a Line 6 Spider III 75W as my first amp. Now that I've been playing a while my ear is hearing the computerized amp, not the guitar. My question is what AFFORDABLE tube amp could I buy that would be ok for a small room that I play in? My affordable would be something around $500 or less. I think I could swing that while trading in the Spider. The guys at Guitarcenter told me they would take the Spider on trade and I really want to hear the warm tones of a tube. I (try to) play rock, everything from VH to Zep to The Who. I'm using a Jackson DK2M, a LP knockoff, and an Epiphone SG G-400.

Any help would be appreciated.
fender hot rod deluxe if you can swing the extra $200. maybe a peavey valveking 112?
argh i know what you mean, after a while the distortion becomes very digital but to me the clean tones are amazing so i just bought a seperate distortion pedal
getting back on topic, as the guy above me said (HarryHeck) Peavey do nice tube amps that are quite affordable, you should have a look on their website for them. last time i remember there were sound clips of each different amp and their tones so it cant hurt to look into them
thanks btoner43. Would you consider used gear and what part of the world do you live in - near what major city? I realize the GC will take it in trade, but likely for less than you can sell it outright for. You get better gear used for your $500 or less that way, a lot better.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Gregs1020 - I would consider used gear. I don't live near any big cities. I'm like right in between Indianapolis and St. Louis on I-70.
not to steal gregs thunder as he is our craigslist king

Champaign-Urbana $400 Crate Blue Voodoo
http://chambana.craigslist.org/msg/837137936.html

Peavey Classic 50 $425
http://chambana.craigslist.org/msg/836037296.html

Line6 Flextone $300
http://chambana.craigslist.org/msg/820693715.html

I saw some nice bass amps too that might work.
Well there are a lot of 50watt plus amps for sale in both areas. But honestly, that's overkill for your bedroom use.
I found this in STL.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/821034924.html Crate VC2110 - 20 watts, with a bad monkey it's all over the classic rock you play. It's a great classic rock amp.
I found a PV Classic 30 in Springfield but it was sold already. Indy has an awesome amp, Ampeg....
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/828206010.html Which for $400 is a great amp, a steal really. But you would need a pedal like the Bad Monkey or Tubescreamer clone to tame it to bedroom levels.

If I were you, I would consider this because as you mature and play with a drummer later, this would be a great amp for years to come. Awesome classic rock / blues amp but at little overkill at this stage of your playing.

311 - You know your always welcome to chime in. There were classic 50's in STL and IND but I avoided them because he's mostly bedroom use. The Ampeg I would be all over for 400 and just turn it down a bit.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 12, 2008,
^yeah, i know but he said he was in between so those were the best amps that I found that might be closer to where he lives. I didn't bother to check STL or IND because I'm guessing he would have a lot of drive time just to check out a used amp.

How far are you from Champaign? That's where Univ of Ill is and I bet there are quite a few musicians.

Quote by gregs1020

Ampeg....
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/828206010.html Which for $400 is a great amp, a steal really. But you would need a pedal like the Bad Monkey or Tubescreamer clone to tame it to bedroom levels.

+1

List your spider on craigslist for sure. There are tons of people who'd love it.
For 5 minutes.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
First of all I would like to say thanks for everyone's input. This amp process just got sped up. I am the Safety Director for a company that does emergency response and we are heading down to Houston in the morning to deal with the aftermath of the hurricane. Hopefully, for those in SE Texas it won't be as bad as they are saying.

I should be able to upgrade when I get home.

I'm about an hour and a half from Champaign.
Quote by btoner43
First of all I would like to say thanks for everyone's input. This amp process just got sped up. I am the Safety Director for a company that does emergency response and we are heading down to Houston in the morning to deal with the aftermath of the hurricane. Hopefully, for those in SE Texas it won't be as bad as they are saying.

I should be able to upgrade when I get home.

I'm about an hour and a half from Champaign.

well, i can speak for most of us when I say we appreciate what you do and good luck with your efforts. yes, hopefully it will not be that bad. We have several active UGrs here that live in and around the Houston area.

Also, do you live closer to Indy or STL? Anyway, you get the idea.

Ping us when you get back
peavey classic 30.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

I was in your EXACT situation a while ago. I got back into playing electric after years of only acoustic. I stupidly bought a Spider III 75w and hated it pretty quickly.

I sold it on Craigslist to a nice guy for $250 cash.

I went to Craptar Center and bought an Epiphone Valve Junior.

I bought a Fulltone OCD pedal.

I essentially broke even on the cost of the Spider (read, it won't cost you anything!) and I can't explain how many times happier I am. If I had to guess, I'd say 27,402.

I was originally planning on getting this amp and getting a big tube amp (Vox AC30CC2) but now I'm just going to keep playing this until I need something bigger. The sound is good enough for me!
I live closer to Indy.

Nims: The dude from guitar center was trying to sell my that Epiphone amp with with the cabinet. They were having a special and selling it for $129, head and cabinet. I was scared off a little by the simplicity of it. I'm used to all these worthless knobs on my Spider and I guess I freaked when I saw an on-off switch and volume knob. I'm assuming it is just a clean sound without a pedal?
^Pretty much is until you crank it, then it breaks up nice. (Epi VJ) They are nice amps don't get me wrong, but no eq, no reverb, no gain, you get the point. Everything you're going to do with it you need a pedal for.

Thanks for helping those in Houston.
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/805190056.html Maybe bring that Mesa F-30 home?

That Ampeg in Indy is a great amp at $400.
Quote by btoner43
I live closer to Indy.

Nims: The dude from guitar center was trying to sell my that Epiphone amp with with the cabinet. They were having a special and selling it for $129, head and cabinet. I was scared off a little by the simplicity of it. I'm used to all these worthless knobs on my Spider and I guess I freaked when I saw an on-off switch and volume knob. I'm assuming it is just a clean sound without a pedal?

It's a clean sound, and when you crank it up you'll get a nice distortion. Better than anything you ever heard coming out of the Spider. It doesn't have any EQ, but any overdrive pedal you'll buy will have that built in. There are also simple modding options online to add more options to it if you're so inclined.

Honestly though, I went from 100 knobs on the spider to 1 on the valve jr. and I haven't looked back. If you get a chance, go back and plug a nice guitar into that one at guitar center, crank it up a little and give it a chance. You might be surprised.

-J
The valve junior works very well but even though it is only 5 watts it will be very loud when you crank it up for a nice crunchy sound. Don't be scared of the lack of knobs and switches. I does sound good and getting the head and cab it a better bet than the combo because you will have a nice 12 inch speaker that will give you a more low end than than the combo. You can add an overdrive, clean boost or eq pedal to give you more control over the tone.
If they are still having that deal on the Epi I might have to trade the spider in. Sounds like you guys are pretty high on it. I've been playing pretty steady for just under a year and I guess my ear is getting better. I need warm tones now. Not computerized.
yeah, to NIMS (and stujomo and gregs) point. Sometimes less is more. It might be a great departure for you. Worth a shot and they hold their value well. OD pedal and EQ pedal will just take it that much further.

that or the Crates.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 12, 2008,
Quote by btoner43
I need warm tones now. Not computerized.

If we didn't all get that we wouldn't be here.

And I hope I didn't take something away from the Epi's or Blackhearts of the world. They just need pedals to bring them up to speed. I personally need reverb on everything so I would have to add another pedal on top of the EQ and BM if I went VJ. Now on the V18, you have reverb and gain, so if we're going the economical route, I go there with an eq and a bm... Sorry for so many acronyms...

But that Ampeg, Gawd... where the heck is TNfootballfan when I need him???
i don't have anything against that Ampeg.

personally, i would make a trip to Chamaign when you are ready and line up 3 or 4 visits to folks selling their amps and take your guitar obviously. Cool bars there too, so maybe stay over

when are you leaving for Houston? watching The Weather Channel now. Pretty intense.
Be safe so you can worry about this amp thing when you get back.
Peavey Classic Series, Blackheart, Crate Palomino should all do the job nicely. If you could find a used Traynor YCV50 Blue that would be cool too.
Last edited by TubeAmpGuy at Sep 12, 2008,
Thanks for all the help. I'm at the office right now, we are heading out in about a half an hour. Hopefully be home next week. Keep the ideas coming so I have something to read when I get back.

I appreciate all of your input. Peace, talk to you soon.
like i said back on page one the epi vj and a couple pedals. they're simple to mod. changing the tubes is a breeze (and make a big difference). i've done quite a few mods to mine and for bedroom jamming it just a great amp. these amps love pedals!! get yourself a good od pedal and reverb. if you play metal the metal muff sounds great. if you have any questions about my setup i'd be glad to answer them
I just got back from Houston and I had plenty of time to think about the amp situation. Now I'm kinda torn between the amp and buying a Peavy Wolfgang. I've always wanted a Wolfgang and with the hours I put in down there I will finally be able to afford one. I think I can trade that Spider for the EPI straight up and still get the Wolfgang.

I had a total of 5 hours sleep from the time we left Saturday until I got home yesterday and that whole time I was trying to decide what to do.
Thank you for your help in Tx. I've never had the pleasure of playing a Wolfgang so I can't comment besides saying they appear sexy as all hell. Get the Epi mini stack and not the combo if you go that way. The 12 inch speaker is better as others have said. But check out some other amps while you are there - just to see if something catches your ear. Some will say your doing it wrong and that you should spend more on the amp than guitar, etc. But if you are happy with your purchases and sound - that's all that counts. Thank you again and good luck.
I don't know what I'm going to do. This is like an addiction. I have 3 decent guitars but I always want more. I'm thinking that I will probably go amp until I can play better than I'm playing now, then by an expensive guitar. Basically my wife told me when I left that I could buy whatever I wanted and use that as motivation when I was working down there. I'm going to tell you something, when you are getting 5 hours sleep while working 60 hours, you need something to keep you going.

On another note, those folks down in Houston and the surrounding areas need our prayers. We stayed in some crappy conditions but we knew we were coming home but those people don't have anywhere to go. No power, no water, most with no place to stay. I saw a lot of people with sleeping bags laying in driveways and in cars and trucks. I have a new respect hurricanes. When I drove home I took highway 59 which runs northeast out of houston and it was total devastation for at least 200 miles north of where the hurricane hit. People just sitting outside of their houses that had damage to them. They looked like zombies.
It's called GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. And you sir, have it.

In this forum, most will say get an amp. In "electric guitar" most will say buy a guitar. It's obviously up to you. Since you have 3 good guitars and a spider, the obvious choice for me would be amp. Post your Spider on craigslist and see if anyone bites. There are plenty of good amps out there so take a trip to Guitar Center or "insert nearby music store here" to test out some amps. Bring the guitar you play most so you know what the amp will sound like at home. Plenty of higher gain amps can be eq'd to a plausible "Eddie" tone. (Also referred to as a brown sound). Go try some stuff and see what you think. Try a Jekyl and Hyde pedal with the Valve Jr mini stack - just for grins. Good luck.

It really sucks to hear what people are going through down there. N.O. is still resembles a war zone and that was years ago. Our country should focus on issues inside our borders more intensely.
Good news. Just had a guy stop by my office and offer me $250 for the Spider. Looks like my mind has been made up for me. They had a used Peavey amp at GC for $600 or something like that. I can't remember what the model was. It was a tube amp and looked like it was loaded. I'll have to get the model number and run it by you guys.
Quote by btoner43
Good news. Just had a guy stop by my office and offer me $250 for the Spider.

You stacked a lot of Karma on your side this past weekend...
The amp they have for sale is a Peavey Valve King 212. It's 100W so it's overkill but I do live out in the sticks and occasionally take my amp outside and turn it up to 11. They have it for $521. What do you think?
If you were to go the VK route, a 50 watt 112 would be better for your purposes and use. IMO Some people flame it other love it. A classic 30 would be better for what/how you play. (Can do quiet and LOUD). Are you opposed to getting something used off of craigslist?
I've never used craiglist to buy something. I guess I'm not opposed to it. I know it's different than ebay but I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on there.
With craigslist it's all broken down into local sites. So you search Indy - think you were closer to that city - or St Louis or wherever. The key is you can try the gear before you buy it. You meet the owner and can ask questions in person. You can honestly negotiate with the seller in person. Many times you can find and amp that isn't made anymore.
Example. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/831599634.html That V50 is a very good amp. And at $350 it's a good buy. I'm not saying you should jump in your car, I'm just posting it as an example. Search the local sites near you, Indy, StL, Champaign, even Carbondale IL.
I found this in Carbondale, 15 watt Orange Tiny Terror Head. $400. Pretty good price.
http://carbondale.craigslist.org/msg/804137894.html

But you get my point, looking used can save you some money. But if waiting and not getting anything is just going to aggravate you, then it's not the best option.
Man thanks for all your help. You and everyone else have been very helpful. It's about a 2 hour drive either way I go really (St. Louis or Indy). I've been checking Terre Haute but nothing there. I think I'll go buy GC this weekend if I don't get called back to Houston.
Page 1 of 2