Hi
Just wondering if these pickups would e the best for a real heavy metal sound

im talking a big sound with lots of presence and treble?

thanks
I've got the 85/81 set and they are great for that sound.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
personally dont like active pickups if your looking for something similar sounding but more organic and orgasmic check out bareknuckle warpigs they flame EMGS
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Im running a 81/81 set with a switchable 18 volt mod and have a spare 81 waiting to go into another guitar.

There great pickups at 9v's but truly come alive when you bump them to 18v's.

And metal is what they do best hands down and field tested by thousands of famous metal bands.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 12, 2008,
they have a lot of gain and all that fun stuff. but they sound very sterile and just not my cup of tea.
I've been an 81 user for years. I love it. Lots of cut, and attack. But lately, I'm thinking the 85 might be the better of the two.

The 85 is louder, and its got more in the low-mid register. Where the 81 does sound a bit weak, the 85 shines. Its fuller, punchier and more robust than the 81. Not quite as biting, but it definitely has a more complex tone.

I would be leary of putting them in the bridge position of a short scale (24.75"), fixed bridge, mahogany guitar. Might be a bit muddy. But in a trem equipped guitar with a longer scale (25.5"), the 85 would probably be stellar in the bridge position
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
straaangley my 81 sounds real nice with my seymour duncan 59 (at the same time). Yep! There still the punch and bite of the 81 present, but a bit more thickness and depth added by the 59'... not sure how the tech who did made them work together well, but watever... i love it :P
They're not very toneful. They themselves are very bland. But if you've got the equipment to get all the tone you want, then they should do just the job for you.
Quote by clapton-floyd
They're not very toneful. They themselves are very bland. But if you've got the equipment to get all the tone you want, then they should do just the job for you.

True, im told they really are only at their best when going into a tube amp, with a good wood, such as mahogany guitar body. But i may be wrong, i havnt tried mine through anything else.