Hi guys. So I've had this amp for about 3 months now. It's a Peavey Envoy 110. I paid $200 for it. About a month ago I noticed this buzz on the B note (7th string on low E, 2nd string on A) and it was really annoying. 1.5 weeks ago, when I went to my friend's house, I tried out 3 other guitars so that I could find out if it just was my guitar or not. It turned out it was the amp since it did the same thing on the B note on 3 other guitars.

So I took it to the place I bought it a week ago. The guy there was able to do the same buzz with their guitars, and he loosened some of the screws on the case and determined it was the speaker, so I was like OK. They said they need to order a new speaker for it and that it won't cost me anything, but it'll take like 3 weeks. I said ok to that, didn't like the fact that I'd have the next 3 weeks with my crappy Squier amp, but whatever I'll wait.

They call me yesterday say that they have the speaker already and that it's much better now. I pick it up last night. I looked at it, it is a new speaker (looks completely different), it looked like it had much better reinforcement than the original speaker. Anyway, I start playing a bit, put the gain on a bit. After like 10-15 minutes of playing, I found this annoying buzz on the B# an octave up (5th fret on G string, 1st fret on B string). It's only really noticeable if I'm on the gain/lead channel, but it doesn't take much gain. So when I play a C chord, you can definetely tell. It's not as annoying of a buzz as with the previous speaker, but it's still slightly annoying.

At this point, I'm gonna take it again to my friend probably and try to narrow it down if it's my guitar or the amp. Probably gonna be the amp and I'll probably have to take it again to the shop.

My question to you guys is, am I being too picky here, is this normal for a $200 amp? I just want something that works "fine". is that too much to ask from a relatively new amp (was new when I bought it).
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Sep 12, 2008,
i had the same problem with my jsx cab. and that thing cost 800 bucks. what i did is took the back panel off. bought some Styrofoam, and super glued it to the panel. Because i realized that the vibrating was the wood from the bar in the panel vibrating against the front of the cab. i dont know if yours is a combo amp or halfstack, but check it out and see if it vibrated with the back off
Quote by sfsknight07
i had the same problem with my jsx cab. and that thing cost 800 bucks. what i did is took the back panel off. bought some Styrofoam, and super glued it to the panel. Because i realized that the vibrating was the wood from the bar in the panel vibrating against the front of the cab. i dont know if yours is a combo amp or halfstack, but check it out and see if it vibrated with the back off

Mine is a combo amp and there's no wood panel at the back if that's what you're getting to. It's just "open" at the back, you can see the speaker and the power supply.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Anyone else have comments?

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

it may just be that way. Have you told shop about latest.
try the other guitars again as you said and see what happens.
i wonder if it is frett buzz or single coil hum.
uumm...you have 7 strings so I doubt you have any single coils.
uumm...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
it may just be that way. Have you told shop about latest.
try the other guitars again as you said and see what happens.
i wonder if it is frett buzz or single coil hum.
uumm...you have 7 strings so I doubt you have any single coils.
uumm...

I don't have 7 strings. E A D G B E

5th on G, 1st on B

Anyway it's a pretty minor buzz, and really only noticeable if I use the "high gain" input. With the previous speaker that the amp had, it would be noticeable with clean channel too, this one isn't noticeable with clean. I'm starting to think it might just be this way. I don't have any other guitars, only have 1 and it's 6 year old squier (lol).

I adjusted the action and intonation on it so there wouldn't be any fret buzz, but I guess you never know. I think I'm just gonna live with it cause it's pretty minor and only noticeable if I use the high gain input with the lead channel, and even then it's minor compared to the buzz that the amp had before.

I can't wait for the day that I get some nice guitar like ESP with humbucker pickups and some good tube amp. One day..

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

OK. Cool.

In your original OP it looks like you say 7th string which is why I made that assumption

And I thought you said you could take it back to your friend's house, who has 3 guitars, you know....just to make sure.

Lastly, do you have any computer monitors, florescent lights, cell phones, microwave towers, things like that that might provide interference? good luck.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It may be that something inside the combo's cabinet is vibrating at that frequency. Look for any loose parts...secure them.

Good idea. I will take a good look at it tommorow.

I will try and go to my friend's place tommorow or sunday, he's got an Ibanez and two epiphone les pauls so we'll see how it goes.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

This reminds me. A lot of my buddies compliment me on my guitar when they play and say it's "good" for a Squier and "pretty decent overall". This coming from people who play guitars like Fender Telecaster and some PRS Les Paul (don't know the name of it). I think they're just trying to be nice though. The only thing I can say from other guitars I've tried like an Epiphone LP and a PRS LP is that their action was lower and it felt easier to play cause of the action, and the fretboard felt like it was smoother, that's about it.

Sorry to go off topic

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Quote by MustangSVT
This reminds me. A lot of my buddies compliment me on my guitar when they play and say it's "good" for a Squier and "pretty decent overall". This coming from people who play guitars like Fender Telecaster and some PRS Les Paul (don't know the name of it). I think they're just trying to be nice though. The only thing I can say from other guitars I've tried like an Epiphone LP and a PRS LP is that their action was lower and it felt easier to play cause of the action, and the fretboard felt like it was smoother, that's about it.

Sorry to go off topic

Nothing wrong with that. If you like the feel of a guitar, and it sounds good, it's tough to argue with!
A lot of times, the things holding back cheaper guitars are the finish, setup, and construction. It's entirely possible to get one that is setup quite well, plays comfortably, and is of solid construction.
A bit of an update. So I haven't changed anything with the amp, but I decided to try out every single note on every string to check for buzz. Here are my results:

Peavey Envoy 110 w/ Squier Strat

Clean channel on "classic mode", the low/mid/high set to around 6 out of 10. Volume set on 5 out of 10. Reverb set to 4 out of 10, Boost set to 3 out of 10.

Here are the frets that create noticeable buzz when played just that one fret:

E - none
B - none
G - 5
D - 10, 12, 15
A - 3, 4, 5, 8, 14 to 21 (all)
e - 8, 9, 20, 21

Any suggestions? I will be raising the action on the low E and A as that might be causing issues. It's really not that big of a deal (the buzzing), but I really wish I had something that worked well. I will try my friend's PRS SE tonight hopefully, so we'll see how that works out.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

I have finally fixed the buzzing.

I put the bass on the EQ to like 5 instead of 7-8, and I also put the "Reverb"and "Boost" which are like some sort of effects to 0 instead of like 5. Apparently it's that reverb and boost that was causing nasty sounds. Shoulda known better not to use them on a $200 amp. I'll stick to no fancy effects for now. When the time comes, I'll just buy like a wah pedal or overdrive or something for my needs.

It still buzzes on the C note on string 6 (low E), but it's only noticeable when using the "High Gain" input . Oh well

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Sep 21, 2008,