i'm pretty damn pissed.

in a recent trade, i got a MIJ Fender Jazz bass. after a week of playing around with it, my bro noticed that the action was unusually higher than it was before, and so we discovered that the neck was horribly warped. so i sent it for a professional setup. it needed a new set of strings anyway.

the guy at the store strung it up with a set of d'addario regular light gauge, .45. he also told me that he had adjusted the truss rod as much as he could, and that the truss rod had been adjusted before, as the thread was worn. he suspected that the weather was at fault, but i don't think so.

just two days after collecting it, the neck warped AGAIN. i brought it back to the same guy, and he managed to tweak it just enough so that the neck was straight but not broken. he recommended that if the neck should ever warp again, i should get lighter gauge strings, but that's just getting ridiculous. isn't medium gauge the average for bass? i can't use .35 or .40, that's just too thin.

any ideas on what i should do, should the neck warp again? should i go with the luthier's advice, or should i change the truss rod, or the entire neck itself?

i think i've been had on this one.
Cant you go kick the guys ass or something or trade him back.
If not, i suppose you might have to buy a new neck if the problem persists.
If it's badly warped, get a new neck, preferably from Allparts or Warmoth. Plus, this can allow for some fun opportunities, such as going fretless.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
yeah, i've decide to call up the guy tomorrow. i'll probably ask him to either pay for a new neck, or give me back my old bass.

about getting a new neck, is it true that i can't get any random neck i find and screw it on? as in, there's something about the scale lengths, right?
Not ANY neck, check with whatever aftermarket company you're ordering from and tell them what bass you have and what year it was made, and what kind of neck you want.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
why cant you use 40's? they are medium, not 45

(that is if you mean with .40 that the thinnest string is that so:40, 60, 80, 100)
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
.45-.65-.85-.105 is "medium" or "standard", and .130 is a standard B-string.
really? this is what it says on the package. "Regular Light Gauge, .045, .065, .080, .100"

oh whoops. missed out one zero.
Quote by chernk
really? this is what it says on the package. "Regular Light Gauge, .045, .065, .080, .100"

oh whoops. missed out one zero.

Seems like your A and E strings are light, while your D and G are medium.
weird. anyway, my luthier recommended that i get .035 or .040, but my bro says it would sound too thin. and yes, my bro has more experience in bass and guitars than i do.
Quote by chernk
weird. anyway, my luthier recommended that i get .035 or .040, but my bro says it would sound too thin. and yes, my bro has more experience in bass and guitars than i do.

I used to play light strings on my old bass. Yes, it sounds a bit thin but it sounds good for some things.
so, bottom line. let's say i try putting medium gauge strings on it, and the neck warps, and the truss rod cannot be adjusted without breaking the neck. so...

IS MY NECK F***ED?
Quote by chernk
so, bottom line. let's say i try putting medium gauge strings on it, and the neck warps, and the truss rod cannot be adjusted without breaking the neck. so...

IS MY NECK F***ED?

Yes, but I personally only play with really light gauge strings(I forget what the correct term for them are) but I think my G is something like .35 and it sounds great. It was a little twangy when new but now that the strings are dead it's awesome, almost sounds like a good flatwound.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
i'm his brother.. and that guy he traded with is some big time muthaF***ER.

he expects us to cross the border to collect his old bass. just to let u guys know. singapore cross over to malaysia. dont mean to say something bad abt m'sians but they are notorious for beating up singaporeans and vandalising singaporean cars.

so i can expect some foul play behind this. anyone care to follow us to whoop his ass?
sorry man. I'm in Cali. and a punch like a girl anyway. I'm not bad with a machete, but still, I'm in Cali.
buy a new neck. that is what I'd do.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom