Why would anyone do this? I've seen a couple articles where people are talking about doing it and getting improved tone. Does it bypass a flawed or noisy loop bypass inside the amp or something? Thanks
This is relevant to my interests. *lurks*
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Iv heard the same, and I recently purchased a tube combo with the send/receive...also curious to see responses....

*lurking in the background

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
i think i did this before, and i couldnt tell a difference. by the way, could anyone tell me if putting like fuzz and overdrive pedals in an effects loop sounds any different than just between the guitar and amp?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

i don't know if it works on all amps but it does on mine to some degree. Same for the 'dummy insert jack' thing if you have 2 insert jacks. That does more for me then the effect loop trick. Keep in mind, I'm playing at lower volumes so for me it gives it a nice cranked up sound at lower vol. Not saying it works well for everyone. Some don't care for it. Not sure how it works actually.

On the Valveking for me at least it provides a bit clearer, gained, sound that cleans up some of the muddiness of this amp. I would love for someone to explain how it works. We've talked about it quite extensively in the last 10 pages or so of the Only Valve King Discussion Thread.

*lurks in the backgournd*
Its due to most amps having a buffered effects loop which basically keeps effects from degrading your signal.....

When you plug anything into the effects loop the amp is expecting you to be running a pretty long length of cable into various pedals. There for you would get quite a loss of signal strength. To combat this when you use the effects loop a buffer is engaged which boosts the signal and in most cases it can restore you bit of clarity and fullness along with the signal boost. This is another reason why they say get a pedal with a good buffer and put it in effects chain if you running a pretty good length of cable and multiple effects.

Basically doing this turns the effects loop into a lead boost of sorts as well. Alot of guys with amps with controlable and switchable effects loop use this as a physical lead boost. They dime the levels on the effects loop then kick on the effects loop for a lead boost.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 12, 2008,
Very cool, thanks for the explanation. I use my effects loop but am going to have to try the patch cable trick to see if it boosts the signal.
A lot of amps also have line in and line out volume controls for the effects loop. Simply running a cable would enable these extra volume controls.
WTLTL 2011
thanks a lot ibanezpsycho - well explained, I think I will try it out on my V50 and see what I get.

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by marvelboy_04
i think i did this before, and i couldnt tell a difference. by the way, could anyone tell me if putting like fuzz and overdrive pedals in an effects loop sounds any different than just between the guitar and amp?

the effect loop just puts the effect in between the preamp and power amp, as opposed to between your guitar and the preamp. certain effectswill be affected by the amps distortion, like how you put a fuzz before a phaser or flanger, it intensifies the effect.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Don't bump 9 year old threads.

Check the post date first.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee