I'm playing a les paul into a peavey valveking 112 at the moment and getting pretty fed up of the tone i'm getting. I need more oomph for metal!

What would the amp benefit from most at the moment, speaker swap (I would go for v30) or OD (i would get the bad monkey)?

I've heard that an EQ would do wonders but the only one I'd be interested in is the MXR108 10band and I can't afford that.

Thanks.
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
I would say get a new speaker first - the stock speakers in the VK are pretty crappy (along with all Peavey stock speakers) and switching to something more metal oriented (like a V30) will drastically improve your tone.

However V30s aren't cheap (unless you are going for a Warehouse V30 clone) so a nice OD might be better if you are on a tight budget.
If you're still using the stock tubes that could be part of the problem. If not I would say the speaker would make the biggest change, but is also an expensive change if you're on a budget. An OD can definitely help change your sound but try one out and make sure you're not wasting your money.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
If the speaker sucks, you're not getting the best out of your amp, no matter what OD unit you stick in front of it.
^that may be true but the Bad Monkey does wonders for this amp, maybe more so then other amps. Plus OD's and EQs you can take with you when you trade up for better. Same can be said I guess for the speaker.

OD = $50 Bad Monkey
EQ = $30 Dano Fish and Chips
Speaker = $65+ship WGS V30 clone
Tubes = just cycle in new ones at normal maint. JJs ($30 - $100)

again, just my order. i'm on a budget until sales compensation checks start coming in..
Well if your looking for more oomph and don't mind the none metal related tone coming out of her I would say get the OD. If you tone is super bassy and muddy and thats what your issue is then get the speaker. The EQ can wait and tubes should be the last thing on your mind. Most VK's come with JJ's or EHX's in the preamps and Rubys are decent enough power amp tubes to get your through the long haul before replacing them. No since in wasting money when you can use it on other stuff.
Great thanks guys for all your help. I have Rubys in the power amp and JJs in the preamp so that should be fine. I'm just a bit sick of the mud.

Someone mentioned the fish n chips EQ, I've heard this is very noisy and not gig worthy, and as I would have to gig with this amp, the mxr 10band is the only way, but I can't afford that at the moment. Looks like a new speaker is on the cards.
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
yes, i've heard the Dano fish and chips is noisy when amp is cranked and not gig worthy. stick to the MXR. what speaker were you thinking and have you been to the Ultimate Speaker Thread yet and The Only Valveking Discussion Thread?