You see I got this problem, how do I play an open A string flat? On my tab sheet theres like a note that's an A with a b sign in front of it, and I don't know how to play it! Can someone tell me what fret and what string should I put my finger on an open string A flat ( means open fifth string flat ) you know the b sign in front of some stuff.

P.S it's for my audition thanks, please help me out... if theres anything unclear tell me and I'll explain it more clearly

HOW DO I TUNE MY GUITAR HALF STEP DOWN?
Last edited by idiscarnate at Sep 12, 2008,
in front of it? Like bA? If it's Ab you've got to tune your guitar half step down or just play it from the 4th fret of your low-e string
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
You really need to learn the notes on the fretboard, otherwise you'll just keep having this problem...you're missing some pretty basic, fundamental knowledge there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I mean it's like a note sheet, the one you use to play a piano, but it's for guitar so it's like b (which means flat) and then a note which resembles A open string (which means fifth string open)

And how do I tune my guitar half step down when mine's on normal tuning?

If not then why do I play it on the low e string forth fret?
E:-5- is the same as A:-0- so E:-4- is Ab

Can you give us a screenshot?

Use a tuner (if you can't tune your guitar)
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
I don't think I've ever seen a flat sign on a tab sheet. If it's in a lower tuning, it usually just tells you the tuning and then the numbers correspond with the frets without even considering which notes are played. If it's the 4th fret on the low E string, it would just have a 4 on the low E string line on the tab. I'm confused.

What song is it?

To the guy above me, that rule works on all strings except moving from the 3rd (G) string to the 2nd (B) string. But I'm sure you already knew that.
I see. You play it on the low E string, 4th fret, because that note is one fret lower than the open A string, which would be played at the fifth fret on the low E.
Okay, I get you guys, sorry I was misunderstood, the song played for audition is called Green Onions, I'm playing guitar 70 till end. So if you came across any sheet like that and know what I mean, please post thanks

How do I tune my guitar half step down without equipments?
To tune down a half step:

From standard tuning, play the low E (6th string) on the 4th fret and tune the A string (5th) down to that pitch. Then tune normally in reference to that (A (5th string) 5th fret to open 4th string), D (4th string) 5th fret to open G, etc. When you're done doing that, play the open A string and tune the 6th string, 5th fret down to that.

BUT-chances are, if you're tuning by ear without a tuning fork or anything, chances are you're already down to E flat or lower.
Quote by idiscarnate
I mean it's like a note sheet, the one you use to play a piano, but it's for guitar so it's like b (which means flat) and then a note which resembles A open string (which means fifth string open)

And how do I tune my guitar half step down when mine's on normal tuning?

If not then why do I play it on the low e string forth fret?

Do you actually know how to read proper sheet music? You are aware of the concept of "accidentals" right?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by jefffelker40
remember the rule five frets up and one string up you get the exact same note.

not true
on the G string the fourth fret is B and the string above it is B :P
part of the "Right-handed guitarists that are actually Left-handed otherwise " group
Quote by stjimmee
If it's written bA then could it mean that you bend up to an A?

No. It would have the note with the arrow that denotes a bend in tab/sheet music and the amount to bend written on top.

TS, since you say it resembles an open A, I'm assuming you mean its on the second ledger line down in the treble clef?
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless

You mean like this?

When a note is flattened, it is lowered by a semitone. Since a semitone= 1 fret difference on a guitar, A (played as the 5th string open or 6th string fret 5) is moved a fret down to become 4th fret on the 6th string (E)
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Sep 14, 2008,
If you don't know your notes, I'm quite curious as to what you're auditioning for.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Aziraphale
E |----4----

Btw why is the b sign in front of the A?

Because that's how it is on sheet music. That way you don't see the note then the accidental, causing you to mess up, you see the accidental (which is placed in line with the note so technically you know what note before you even see the note) and then the note so if you're good you won't mess up.
Since everyone else has answered your question I will contribute by saying... Green Onions is a great song! Good luck on your audition.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards