Ok here is the deal, Im not sure if this is the right forum, It probably is because it is about a deal on an electric guitar.
About three weeks ago I bought an American G&L Legacy guitar from a guy in craigslist the guitar seemed nice when I bought it, he just told me that it was missing a G&L tuner and a volume knob, that was ok with me.
On the advertisement it said that the guitar was mint and when I bought it he said that it just needed a setup, So I said ok I will just take it to a setup and I'll have a great american strat for just $500 dollars.
Life goes on and 2 weeks passes by, I take it for a setup (Did not take it before because I had some money issues) and 2 days later after the setup I get a voicemal message from the tech saying "We have bad news about the guitar call use back" So I call them back and they said that the guitar has a bad neck and needs to be replaced he told me that the truss rod was as tight as it could be and that the neck could not be adjusted, so the neck was bowed... and the action was really high and could not be lowered, almost slide player high... I take it back to the seller (Btw he owns a small guitar shop) and he says that that was weird, he tells me that it is not that bad when it really is that bad, he tells me to leave it with him, he said that he knows a tech from MI who is going to take a look at it. 7 days passed and today I just sent an email saying that I wanted the money back that I already knew the neck was bad and I prefered to pay 1000 for a fender strat with no flaws or damage than to pay 500 for something used that has a bowed neck.
That was long... ok so here is my question, has this happened to anyone here? if so what was the outcome? I hope he just gives me my $500 back there were no signed papers or anything as he said that he could not give me a ticket because that guitar was not from the store, I know that a verbal agreement still exists and can be used in case he does not want to give me my money back as I have my parents as witness and well the guitar tech that checked it too? has this happened to anyone?
Quote by Kontry
Ok here is the deal, Im not sure if this is the right forum, It probably is because it is about a deal on an electric guitar.
About three weeks ago I bought an American G&L Legacy guitar from a guy in craigslist the guitar seemed nice when I bought it, he just told me that it was missing a G&L tuner and a volume knob, that was ok with me.
On the advertisement it said that the guitar was mint and when I bought it he said that it just needed a setup, So I said ok I will just take it to a setup and I'll have a great american strat for just $500 dollars.
Life goes on and 2 weeks passes by, I take it for a setup (Did not take it before because I had some money issues) and 2 days later after the setup I get a voicemal message from the tech saying "We have bad news about the guitar call use back" So I call them back and they said that the guitar has a bad neck and needs to be replaced he told me that the truss rod was as tight as it could be and that the neck could not be adjusted, so the neck was bowed... and the action was really high and could not be lowered, almost slide player high... I take it back to the seller (Btw he owns a small guitar shop) and he says that that was weird, he tells me that it is not that bad when it really is that bad, he tells me to leave it with him, he said that he knows a tech from MI who is going to take a look at it. 7 days passed and today I just sent an email saying that I wanted the money back that I already knew the neck was bad and I prefered to pay 1000 for a fender strat with no flaws or damage than to pay 500 for something used that has a bowed neck.
That was long... ok so here is my question, has this happened to anyone here? if so what was the outcome? I hope he just gives me my $500 back there were no signed papers or anything as he said that he could not give me a ticket because that guitar was not from the store, I know that a verbal agreement still exists and can be used in case he does not want to give me my money back as I have my parents as witness and well the guitar tech that checked it too? has this happened to anyone?

Maybe be will keep your guitar and keep the money?
Well I hope he does not try that... he actually said that if his tech could not fix it he would exchange it, but the thing is that I don't really like any of the guitars he has there, he does not have too much selection. So I really prefer the money to get something I like, I payed $500 for a guitar that is worth $1200 so I don't really want to exchange it for a guitar that new is $500
So basically you bought a guitar without seeing it and testing it first and are now for some reason surprised that it's dodgy, even though the guy lied in the advert to begin with? Let's hope the guy is actually reasonable or you just got screwed and it's no one's fault but your own.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
No, I did test it and it sounded good, the thing he told me that it just needed a setup so I said ok maybe this is why it does not play that great and the action is high, I went to his guitar store and talked to him before buying the guitar.

The thing is that it can't be set up because of the neck and he did not mention any of the neck problems, the guitar is in great condition, everything except the neck of course.

I have pictures of the guitar at home everything looks perfect but the neck is not... it just looks perfect, the thing is that I just thought it needed a setup and he did not mention that the neck was bad
Last edited by Kontry at Sep 12, 2008,
How do you know your tech isn't trying to take you for a ride? Get a second opinion.

EDIT: If they say it's bowed and they can't adjust it, find another for sure. NEVER trust someone who just flat says "No it can't be done" without telling you why.

EDIT: Use paragraphs so that your first post isn't as confusing. Have they tried to install a new nut? That sometimes, but not always, will fix the issue.
Because I took other guitars to him and I've seen his work they always play great after I pick them up, He gave me the money back for the setup and just charged me for the strings.

Edit:He did explain that there is a gap where the truss rod goes and it is adjusted as far as it goes.
He explained that some of the workers at G&L take parts from the factory and build guitars from those parts and it was most likely this was one of them, he said some of the parts are bad sometimes, in this case the neck.
He said that sometimes he gets someone in his store that tries to sell him one of this G&Ls that are built by the workers.
Last edited by Kontry at Sep 12, 2008,
craigslist is the devil
08' Fender MiA Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Quote by Kontry
Because I took other guitars to him and I've seen his work they always play great after I pick them up, He gave me the money back for the setup and just charged me for the strings.

Ah, well you are in a tough spot. Sadly, leaving it with him may have doomed you if you lack any kind of written evidence in the matter. If you were to go to small-claims court, it could be written off as here-say.
What I don't get is that if he has a small guitar shop and whatnot why did it need a setup? Couldn't he set it up himself or is he just lazy/stupid
I did ask him that and he said he just does minor things like pickup height...
Yeah I'm in tough spot, I thought it was a really good deal but it was not.

I think I learned to just buy new or used if you really know the person that is
selling it to you and not someone on a classified ad