Got my back pay and its time for a new amp.

I've narrowed it down to the Blues Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe both by Fender, they are both the top end of what i can afford as well. I've read somewhere that they are basically the same though.

My question to you is i know they can both get a reasonable crunch sound, but which one is better at doing it. I've heard the deluxe is a smoother sounding amp but yet the hot rod can overdrive more.

Heavy overdrive isn't a problem (thats for pedals) but i really only want to use the amp to get a tone with my 335 similar to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA5dpsGXmWk) and was wondering which would be closest.

Basically i think what I'm trying to say is which amp gets closer to the videos tone without pedals. Long winded i am.

Thanks chaps
J.
Problem with Hot Rods/Blues Deluxes is that you'll get an amazing clean sound, but the overdrive isn't the best (muddy), you could spice it up with an OD pedal and get a good sound though.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Fender amps have crap distortion period. Love the bright clean channel though.
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

Well if you can get that sound with another amp then im all ears.

I play Clapton, Hendrix, Mayer (slow dancing needs a clean sound otherwise no girls talk to us afterwards you understand ) and Peter Green stuff in our band though and a Fender seemed the best route, its simple. (Me and amps are just useless - it needs a volume, eq and gain otherwise im lost)

I dont mind buying an attenuator to drive the amp yet keep the volume low.

EDIT -
Im not after distortion, its crunch I'm after, like in the link from my 1st post
i'm not really sure how big of an amp or anything, i'm somewhat new to them, i'm looking at getting a crate all tube 18 watt, it's on sale it was $250 now it's $150 lol, i know it's a crate and all, but the reviews are almost pure positive, they have a 50w for $200, at musicians friend.
How about a Vox AC30 or somethin with a clean channel plus a good OD channel.
Don't be afraid to care"

Why not try and find out which amp he used there, and base your search on that.
Don't be afraid to care"

the traynor 20WR or the 40WR would be much better alternatives. or even the YCV40 Custom Valve if you're on a tight budget.

traynors ar one of the best amps out there. affordable and great sounding. and unlike the lower end fender tube amps (hor rod deluxe, deville, blues deluxe), the distortion actually sounds good.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 12, 2008,
Jhachey22 is right, I would steer towards the YCV40 if I were you. But a YCV50 may suit your needs as well - I liked the gain on the 50 better than on the YCV40. Remember Marshals were based on a 59 Fender amp before everyone get's all voicing crazy between the two Traynors.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well, why don't you look for a used Bassman or something?

Check on Craiglist and see if there's anyone in your area, keep an eye on ebay, etc.
Bassmans in the UK are nearly £1000 new and still over my budget used.

Tops i can go to is £400 so thats about $700 i think

If anyone knows which of the two amps is closest to the links sound then i can at least narrow that down to one fender amp.
i'd say the blues deluxe is the better, out of those two. however, those fenders are mainly known for their cleans- great if you only need a good clean, but if you need a good overdrive/distortion too, i'd probably look elsewhere- taking a slight hit to the clean tone, dropping it from, say, 9/10 to 8/10 is worth it if you improve the overdrive channel from 0/10 (in the case of the HRD, its overdrive channels really are that bad) to 8 or 9 out of 10. would be a worthwhile substitution, assuming you use overdrive a lot.

it's really up to you, though. something like a laney vc30, lc30, peavey classic 30 etc. would doubtless be worth a try as well. if you try all those and still prefer the fender, by all means go for it. traynors are too dear here, unfortunately.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jjbennett

If anyone knows which of the two amps is closest to the links sound then i can at least narrow that down to one fender amp.

Of those two the Blues, slightly. But not really a Bassman clone by any means. You may be overestimating the amp towards tone and underestimating the fingers.

Edit:^ Not the first time Dave beat me to the enter button.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
for that video tone, i'd be looking at those laneys and peaveys i suggested, the hot rods cleans are more sparkly and, well, clean. and the od is pretty crappy, as i said. can't really remember how the blues deluxe sounded, to be honest, just i remember its being better than the HRD. would probably be worth a try too, but can you get one under £400? i thought they were more than that, but i'm not exactly a fender afficionado, so i could be wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jjbennett
Bassmans in the UK are nearly £1000 new and still over my budget used.

Tops i can go to is £400 so thats about $700 i think

I'd still keep an eye on the market for a while. You never know when a deal from heaven is going to pop up.

It's around $800 bucks, I think.

If you do get one of those earlier mention Fenders, you'd probably want an overdrive pedal of some kind, if you're really looking to nail that tone. Can't really tell you which one will get you closest, I don't have much experience with them.
Last edited by JilaX^ at Sep 12, 2008,
I'd say look at a Peavey Classic 30 + an overdrive pedal for crunch (and 'oomph' for solos) or maybe a new speaker/tubes if it's used.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The Hot Rod Deluxe and the Blues Deluxe are NOT the same by any stretch of the imagination.

The Hot Rod has flat cleans and the blues deluxe has sparklier cleans, the blues deluxe is miles better IMO (and VERY loud). Also, again IMO, the blues deluxe OD is very nice if you're actually overdriving the power tubes, the built in OD for the hot rod is crap.

Although i have to say both these amps are very very loud and would be hard to overdrive in the bedroom, still the blues deluxe is great, especially with some boost.
^I don't know how you camp up with that, you probably tried a bad hot rod. To me and the schematic the two amps are almost identical. The little bit that is different about the BD does make its OD channel a bit better.

everything dave mc mentioned is worth a close look though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I used to have a HotRod DLX, and to make it sound much better I did only 3 things:
1.- Replaced the speaker for a Celestion Vintage30.
2.- Replaced all tubes with Electro-Harmonix which have warm sound, didn't like the stock tubes.
3.- on the rebias, I lowered down all the way.
The result: cleans were not modified at all, and the OD channel was usable, nice fat and crunch sound, very good for blues.
^ the problem with doing all those mods here in the UK is that the hot rod is already quite expensive for what it is (pushing £500). do those mods and you're at around £600, where you have quite a few more options which sound good out of the box...

Quote by Kevin Saale
everything dave mc mentioned is worth a close look though.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So basically, mixed opinions...

Hmm, well i know for a fact that John Mayer played a hot rod at some point so i think that clinches it along with the knowledge its a little more versatile.

Thanks guys!
actually, if you can find one, a used traymor bassmaster YBA-1 is a sickly amp. they go for cheap on Ebay. they're the Canadian equivalent to the 60's Bassman/Marshall. they can get a really good clean, and a great OD sound. it deserves consideration.

EDIT: i don't think Mayer would have EVER played a Hot Rod. maybe a hot rodde amp, but not a fender hot rod. he plays with two-rocks, for christ's sake. maybe for the first year of him playing guitar...
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I'm also having the same dilemma but if I use a pedal instead of the distortion already on the amp shouldn't I get a better sound?
sure, but you might get a better sound again if you just got an amp which had good built-in distortion.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?