Well, I am thinking about waiting for the Crate V18 to get back in stock and buy that with a Metal Muff but someone offered me a Peavey Bandit 112 for $175 as well and there's also that new Vypyr.

Since it's just a practice amp, should I get an SS that sounds pretty good at low volumes or a tube amp?
Guitars
Douglas WRL595, ESP LTD EC-50, 60's Partscaster
Amps
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Vet30
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
get a low powered tube amp, like the fender champ 600, gretsch electromatic amp, epiphone valve jr or the peavey valve king royal 8. that way, you can still get good tube tone at lower levels.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
The new Vypyr is a darn good amp, considering that its SS and modeling.
The Bandit isn't bad either, though.
I'd get one of those rather than wait for the v18.

Since it's just for practice.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Assuming you are going to be playing mostly metal? Will it be just practice or will you need it to play with a drummer at a later date? What really is your budget? Would you consider used gear? If so, what part of the world do you live in - near what major city?
Quote by gregs1020
Assuming you are going to be playing mostly metal? Will it be just practice or will you need it to play with a drummer at a later date? What really is your budget? Would you consider used gear? If so, what part of the world do you live in - near what major city?

Yeah mostly metal but I like to play classic rock and blues stuff too. It will be mostly for practice but I jam with a drummer rarely. Used gear is ok but I would prefer new. I live in the DC area.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
I like the idea of the Vypyr if its mostly metal.
Hes the craigslist King (gregs1020)
so he might be able to find something used.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
OK assuming a $200-400 budget then?

There is a guy on DC craigslist selling a new in the box MicroCube. Which is a great practice amp for low volumes. Asking like $110. Not going to keep with a drummer tho but if that's not as big a concern I would go that way.
The V18 is a good amp, I like it. It would need a pedal to go between cleans and dist, because it only has one channel. (Could roll back the guitar volume but some people would rather hit a pedal tonewise). I like the reverb the V18 has, great for blues/rock on it's own but metal no, it's gonna need some boost for that. Maybe a fish n chips eq and a bad monkey to get the br00tlZ?
There is a lot of good stuff on clist, not at the moment in DC except that Cube. If your not going to jam with a drummer and do mostly metal, it's the answer at $110 bucks.
Quote by gregs1020
OK assuming a $200-400 budget then?

There is a guy on DC craigslist selling a new in the box MicroCube. Which is a great practice amp for low volumes. Asking like $110. Not going to keep with a drummer tho but if that's not as big a concern I would go that way.
The V18 is a good amp, I like it. It would need a pedal to go between cleans and dist, because it only has one channel. (Could roll back the guitar volume but some people would rather hit a pedal tonewise). I like the reverb the V18 has, great for blues/rock on it's own but metal no, it's gonna need some boost for that. Maybe a fish n chips eq and a bad monkey to get the br00tlZ?
There is a lot of good stuff on clist, not at the moment in DC except that Cube. If your not going to jam with a drummer and do mostly metal, it's the answer at $110 bucks.

I don't really want an amp that small. I'd prefer an amp with a 10" or 12" speaker for a more full sound. I like the Crate but it has lots of mixed reviews and I can't try it because they don't have it at my GC.

I have a $200-$300 budget. If my parents let me use $400 I could easily pick a VK
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Used VK's show up all the time for $225-250. If that is what you really want, just be patient. One will show up soon. But... Small metal amps in that price range are hard to find. I got lucky with my H&K for $360. If you are stuck on new, then the crate, and eq, and a bad monkey is the way I would go on a budget. I should try baltimore and see what there is. Roadtrip? IF it's worth gas money for your GAS???

There is a Laney VC15 in Baltimore, but just over budget asking $450 OBO. Still, not really a metal amp, but could be pushed that way. Great amp tho. Good metal amps don't come cheap generally. I like the VK, but some people get their undies all cramped up over them.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 12, 2008,
Quote by gregs1020
Used VK's show up all the time for $225-250. If that is what you really want, just be patient. One will show up soon. But... Small metal amps in that price range are hard to find. I got lucky with my H&K for $360. If you are stuck on new, then the crate, and eq, and a bad monkey is the way I would go on a budget. I should try baltimore and see what there is. Roadtrip? IF it's worth gas money for your GAS???

I liked the VK but it's pretty loud and don't tube amps get better as you turn them up? I can't really go past 2 on my Spider right now.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Quote by Don Tonberry
I liked the VK but it's pretty loud and don't tube amps get better as you turn them up? I can't really go past 2 on my Spider right now.

Yes but they don't sound bad at low volumes, IMO, just better louder. It doesn't matter what the dial reads if you like the tone. Metal and lower wattage amps generally don't go together. They need headroom to satch the preamp tubes without power tube break up, is why.
Quote by gregs1020
Yes but they don't sound bad at low volumes, IMO, just better louder. It doesn't matter what the dial reads if you like the tone. Metal and lower wattage amps generally don't go together. They need headroom to satch the preamp tubes without power tube break up, is why.

Then I guess the Crate seems good. I'm not sure about an EQ pedal though.

I just don't know if the Crates are good quality because some people said there have been problems with them. I also can't try the amp which is also another reason I'm not sure about it
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Well I never would rec buying without trying. Altho, musicians friend has a 30 day return policy I believe, so if you don't like it... So you could get it and see what you think. The eq helps shape your tone. I know some say the V18 is muddy, but keep the bass below 11:00 on the dial and it gets real sweet. Def a bass heavy amp IMO that can be tamed. On a budget a fish n chips eq is a bargain, as is the digitech bad monkey od to get you to metal.
I have been a fan of the V18 when everyone was bashing it before they tried it. For the money, it's a tough amp to beat, quiet when it needs to be, but gig'able as well.
You could look at a Roland cube. I personally would go for the V18. Good midpoint for Bedrrom and gigging plus it sounds fantastic. With the metal muff I think you should be ok
Quote by mcrfobtai
You could look at a Roland cube. I personally would go for the V18. Good midpoint for Bedrrom and gigging plus it sounds fantastic. With the metal muff I think you should be ok

I'm not really sure, because I really want to try it before I buy and I can't do that. I also don't want to return if I don't like it because I don't want to pay the shipping fee to send it back.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
What about a Blackheart?
Like the Little Giant?

This Giant sounds awesome!
Quote by Zyl
What about a Blackheart?
Like the Little Giant?

This Giant sounds awesome!

Outta my price range and it's not at my GC either
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Quote by Zyl
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackheart_little_giant_bh5112.htm

Uhm, its in your price range.

And you can order it online?
Thomann is very good.

I ordered mine 1 week ago and Boom, its here (;

It is in my price range but it's not for what I play.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
5 watt tube amps are not for metal
i usually stick to reccomending tube amps but a roland cube sounds perfect
after playing the v18 heres my warning: its LOUD for home practice, and you probably wont be able to crank it easily to metal territory.
so i suggest the cube, or maybe a small tube amp (v18) and a pedal?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20