I made a post a few days ago about me studying abroad in ireland. And I wanna bring my guitar up with me, but I dont wanna bring my 50 pound tube amp. But this seems like a great little practice amp, all tube and would work great with my DIY tubescreamer I made.

From what I understand the circuitry (at least in the 5 watt version) is the same thing as the evj, in fact you can actually see epiphone printed on the circuit board. I did search and I found a couple post from a while back, but if anyone has any kind of experience with this I would love to hear it.

Seems like exactly what I need for a solid practice amp
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
I made a post a few days ago about me studying abroad in ireland. And I wanna bring my guitar up with me, but I dont wanna bring my 50 pound tube amp. But this seems like a great little practice amp, all tube and would work great with my DIY tubescreamer I made.

From what I understand the circuitry (at least in the 5 watt version) is the same thing as the evj, in fact you can actually see epiphone printed on the circuit board. I did search and I found a couple post from a while back, but if anyone has any kind of experience with this I would love to hear it.

Seems like exactly what I need for a solid practice amp

The GA5 is a great amp and makes for an ideal practise amp. I did a few simple mods on mine and put a sound sample vid on my uTube page (link in signature) if you wanna hear it. It also takes pedals well, the last clip uses a Boss MT-2.
The circuitry is practically identical to the Epi VJ and all the mods available on the web will work on it also.
Tbh you'd be better off with something like a Cube or Valvetronix for small practice if you're studying abroad. They have amp models and built in effects so will do you well, rather than a valve combo.

Just my opinion.
meh I dont use effects that often. Just gimme a good OD or dist pedal and i'll be good. And if anything I have had my eye on the evj and the blackheart, i'm not going solid state again if I can help it, lol.

But yeah I would be interested in modding the GA15 but i dont know how different it is from the 5watt version. but we'll see i guess
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
^ Ah right okay. Well, I have no experience with Harley Benton, so I'll just lurk my way from here into another thread.

*leaves*
LoL no worries. the cube or a vox would be a great practice amp, but I'm just a tube junkie now :P

no such thing as a bad suggestion. if it isn't to your taste then its just a personal preference, no harm in making sure someone has all their facts straight, and for that i do appreciate the post
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Not going to be much help but I ordered one yesterday, I hope it will sound good. I opted for the 15w instead of the 5w not because I need the extra watts (I will use it for bedroom practice) but for the extra options. The GA15 has 3 band EQ, FX loop, standby switch, and three different output jacks for a cab, plus headphone jack (useless IMO but hey). Big thing for me is the bigger speaker too... the GA15 has a 10 inch and the GA5 has 8 (I think).

I ordered a Holy Grail reverb as well but ran out of money for an overdrive pedal. What do you think would be a good OD pedal for blues - rock to go with this amp?
The 5W Blackheart (Little Giant?) is just perfect for this. It has amazing tone, is tube, not THAT loud. It also has eq. I'm guessing you'll be using an OD/Distortion pedal for Gain, so I'm guessing that there's not separate drive knob won't be a problem for you.
no i dont need a seperate drive knob, but i was thinking about adding on anyway, lol. But my modded tubescreamer should be just fine, and I have an eq pedal I could use, since it does have an fx loop.

but yeah i was looking at the blackheart. and it's a toss up between the blackheart, evj, or this baby. I do kinda like having more watts. pretty sure this thing could be heard over a drummer if need be. My 50 pound b-52 is kinda a pain to take home when I leave college for a weekend or break.

Or jamming with buddies. and the price does kick ass... But i dunno, a smaller 5 watt might be more preferable, but i do really got my eye on this thing. Its also a good bit cheaper then the BH. but that might not be a good thing lol
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Sep 12, 2008,
^+1 I love my BH-5
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
lol that doesnt help me!

im not going to ireland for another year, so no worries, I was just hoping some people had some on hand experience with it.

But in the meantime always open to suggestions and advice, and if anyone has anything experience with this I would be really glad to hear it

But thanks for all the replies, always great to get more opinions!
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial