So, I am receiving a squire bullet soon because I thought it would be pretty cool to fix it up and make it flippin awesome, but I have a few questions that I would like you (the ultimate guitar community) help me out with.

1) what upgrade should I buy first? (pickups, tremolo assembly etc...)
2) what would be the best pickups to get for that sweet John Mayer tone, besides the big dippers because those are like 1 million dollars.
3) what are some other good upgrades to my squire guitar.

thanx alot guys and I'll probably post some pictures up when I get the guitar.
Any Strat pickups would work, I suggest some GFS vintage-style pickups, just drop the mids out of your EQ, and that should come close. Definately repaint it and rewire it with some new pots and a new switch. Maybe a new pickguard.
thanx man. Whats the best way to repaint it?
I got a brown sunburst that I thought looked pretty nice but what do you suggest?
why didnt you just buy a fairly decent strat that has a good neck and body and bridge etc already, but just change the pickups for the sound you want?
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
because I'm a highschool kid with a part time job and a girlfriend that wanted to get me a cool present for my birthday. so I asked for this. I just thought it would be a fun project. I have a mexican tele that I love but just wanted a little side project to do.
Quote by chippythingy
why didnt you just buy a fairly decent strat that has a good neck and body and bridge etc already, but just change the pickups for the sound you want?

How do you know his isn't fairly decent already? Squiers can be atrocious or awesome. Some of them are really good guitars. I just picked a heavily use one up today for the same purpose. It has a scratched up body and a missing saddle, but the neck is perfect and it has a pretty good sound to it.

As far as which upgrade to do first, I'd play it for a few days before deciding. That way you can figure out what parts you want most to change. See how well it stays in tune, how the tremolo works, if you're happy with the tuners and pickups, etc.
I would replace the pickups, tuners and all of the electrics. Then move on to the Bridge (The saddles, or the whole assembly - its up to you) and maybe the finish. To be honest, you won't be able to do a better job than the factory finish. And sunburst looks awesome anyway.

When you've done all that - you should get a pretty decent guitar.
I are chav.
An upgrade kit for the bridge from callaham would make a huge difference to your tone (well not really huge), but it's certainly worth it. It is saddles and a block/ trem arm. The block it self is made from cold rolled steel. Which will give you more sustain than the stock one.

Also pickups make a massive difference. More than a new bridge anyway.
Quote by supergerbil
An upgrade kit for the bridge from callaham would make a huge difference to your tone (well not really huge), but it's certainly worth it. It is saddles and a block/ trem arm. The block it self is made from cold rolled steel. Which will give you more sustain than the stock one.

Also pickups make a massive difference. More than a new bridge anyway.

I looked at callaham and they look kinda pricey. I was just thinking of going with the fender factory tremolo kit.

tell me what you think.
I dont want to spend a crazy amount of money on this beast.
Fender parts are expensive for what you get. What you could get is some nice graphtech saddles and maybe a tusq nut?
hmph.
well I could just get a saddle from callaham for the same price as I could get a whole stinkin tremolo kit from fender. I guess I'll see how the squire stuff works first. Guitar fetish is cheap too. Is that stuff any good? besides the pickups
Quote by Jcbbagley
I guess I'll see how the squire stuff works first. Guitar fetish is cheap too. Is that stuff any good? besides the pickups

I recently ordered a hardtail bridge from them. I can let you know what I think once it comes and I install it on my strat.
Quote by nightraven
custom shop 69s would be good for a john mayer tone i'd say.

I heard alot of people got cs69s and got a guitar tech to underwind them to get the mayer sound but I think i might go with the gfs vintage. They're cheap, I've seen great reviews, and alot of suggestions. Thanks for the help though man.

and Cedric just let me know about that bridge whenever you get a chance. Thanks.
hey jacob bagley, i would suggest maybe making a few moderations with the strat and make it a FAT strat! btw, we should finish the amp we're building. this strat will sound great through it
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Jcbbagley
and Cedric just let me know about that bridge whenever you get a chance. Thanks.

Well dagnabbit! I got the bridge today and it looks quite solid and well built. But the mounting screw holes aren't in the same place as the ones on my Squier, so I'm going to have to do some work before I can actually mount the bridge. My options are to either drill holes in the new bridge, or fill the trem cavity with a woodblock and mount the hardtail to that. I'm leaning toward the latter, because I plan to refinish the guitar anyway. Bottom line is it'll be weeks before I have time to do all that.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Sep 17, 2008,