I am planning on buying a 120 Watt Tubb Amp head and I don't have enough money to buy a Cabinet Amp so I am wondering if that Amp Head would work with my 80 watt Crate Amp (since it has two inputs for amp cables).
buy a tube combo instead
why on earth would you need a 120 watt tube head?

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
no it will not. Haveing a combo amp is like owning a head as a combo amp can output to a cabinet. So you need a cab. Besides even if you could, that crate wouldn't be able to hand;e the power load of the head
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition
A) 120 watts tube will be stupid and useless unless you plan on playing un mic'ed in huge stadiums or arenas.

B) No it won't work.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
thats a horrible idea. since the amp head has a power amp in it, the signal would get loud as hell, then through the crate's power amp it would get even louder, then if the crate amp didnt just break, it would destroy the speaker
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Whats the difference of a Amp head and Cabinet amp and a Combo Amp?

Oh yeah and everyone saying that a 120 watt Tube head is stupid... so having a $600.00 Tube amp is stupid? haha wow, i dont get some people.
Quote by funkymonkz
A) 120 watts tube will be stupid and useless unless you plan on playing un mic'ed in huge stadiums or arenas.

B) No it won't work.

Your math is way off there buddy... Ozzfest uses a 207,000 watts of Crest Audio power for there show and to power Giants stadium you would need a 900,000 watt system. So I doubt 120 watts will cut it

If your playing metal you want headroom which is why a high wattage amp is great to have because your not getting any of the sag or creaminess produced by power amp saturation. You usually want most of your tone coming from the preamps keeping things tight. And if your playing clean the extra headroom is a great thing to have. Classic rock on the other hand is totally different and loves power amp saturation but bedroom level amps that are good for this are usually 1-5 watts with limited features. Also you can always get an attenuator which fixs everything.

Also it will work if your combo speaker has a 1/4 connection cable attached to it. Just unplug the speaker from the combo and plug it into the head. If not you will need to disconnect the speaker and make a 1/4 connection for it or make a jack to attach to the combo which is then attached to the speaker and then plug the head into that.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 12, 2008,
Quote by VGuitarist80

Oh yeah and everyone saying that a 120 watt Tube head is stupid... so having a $600.00 Tube amp is stupid? haha wow, i dont get some people.

Never heard of it referred to as a "cabinet amp" before lmao.

A head is basically a box with a preamp and power amp built into one unit but does not have any speakers connected to it.

A cab is basically a big wooden box with speakers in it and is pretty much useless without an amp being plugged into it.

A combo is the head and the speakers all in one compact unit.

And yes, 120 watt tube head is stupid no matter what it costs because unless you are playing large venues you will never need 120 tube watts!
Also, $600 is pretty cheap for an all-tube head - its pretty much a low end model!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
And yes, 120 watt tube head is stupid no matter what it costs because unless you are playing large venues you will never need 120 tube watts!

All this from a man with 2 4x12 cabs and posing proudly beside them... phhh
To the people saying 120 watts is overkill?

You need the headroom. Power tube breakup loosens up the overdrive.
Something silly about all these guitar forums. Who cares how big (wattage) of a head he gets? It's his money and if he likes 120w head then he can buy it. I like my 150w solid state head so I bought it. He was curious if the head works with his Crate combo so answer the question and leave your stupid opinions to yourselves for once. Jesus christ!

No the head won't plug into a combo's speaker. It needs a specific jack and cannot just plug right into the input where your guitar normally would.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Something silly about all these guitar forums. Who cares how big (wattage) of a head he gets? It's his money and if he likes 120w head then he can buy it. I like my 150w solid state head so I bought it. He was curious if the head works with his Crate combo so answer the question and leave your stupid opinions to yourselves for once. Jesus christ!

No the head won't plug into a combo's speaker. It needs a specific jack and cannot just plug right into the input where your guitar normally would.

A 120w tube amp is pretty freaking very loud.

Also the way the OP worded the question it doesn't make too much sense.

You want to buy a 120W head to plug into your current 80W combo?? Why would you do that? YOu want to blow up your speakers?
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by VGuitarist80

yeah....

we're all stupid.

Quote by MustangSVT
A 120w tube amp is pretty freaking very loud.

Wattage isn't volume. A tube amp is loud, much less a tube head played through a separate cabinet. But thanks for trying to sound smart!
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Your math is way off there buddy... Ozzfest uses a 207,000 watts of Crest Audio power for there show and to power Giants stadium you would need a 900,000 watt system. So I doubt 120 watts will cut it

If your playing metal you want headroom which is why a high wattage amp is great to have because your not getting any of the sag or creaminess produced by power amp saturation. You usually want most of your tone coming from the preamps keeping things tight. And if your playing clean the extra headroom is a great thing to have. Classic rock on the other hand is totally different and loves power amp saturation but bedroom level amps that are good for this are usually 1-5 watts with limited features. Also you can always get an attenuator which fixs everything.

Also it will work if your combo speaker has a 1/4 connection cable attached to it. Just unplug the speaker from the combo and plug it into the head. If not you will need to disconnect the speaker and make a 1/4 connection for it or make a jack to attach to the combo which is then attached to the speaker and then plug the head into that.

Well tube power is alot louder than solid state power? I'm sure they don't use 200k watts of tube power, it's all your run of the mill PA systems. Which aren't tube. Right? >_>
Quote by injected
Well tube power is alot louder than solid state power? I'm sure they don't use 200k watts of tube power, it's all your run of the mill PA systems. Which aren't tube. Right? >_>

Yup there not tube amps, because 207,000 watts of tube power will produce the same db as 207,000 watts of ss power. So they can have the same db output and 80% less maintenance.
Quote by VGuitarist80
I am planning on buying a 120 Watt Tubb Amp head and I don't have enough money to buy a Cabinet Amp so I am wondering if that Amp Head would work with my 80 watt Crate Amp (since it has two inputs for amp cables).

And yeah. Get a combo, you don't need a head. Especially if you have no cab...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I'm going to re word my original question, Could a Tube Amp head ( http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUG333XL ) be plugged into my Marshall 80 watt Combo through the Amp Jack (not the jack the Guitar plugs into) on the back or is that a line out option only. For people that need more help, Amp Head ---> Combo Amp (through the Amp Jack on the back) = Alternate Half Stack method? It does not matter much now since I just got the Combo Amp version.
Quote by VGuitarist80
I'm going to re word my original question, Could a Tube Amp head ( http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUG333XL ) be plugged into my Marshall 80 watt Combo through the Amp Jack (not the jack the Guitar plugs into) on the back or is that a line out option only. For people that need more help, Amp Head ---> Combo Amp (through the Amp Jack on the back) = Alternate Half Stack method? It does not matter much now since I just got the Combo Amp version.

I thought you said it was a Crate......?
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
I thought you said it was a Crate......?

I have seen Combo amps called Crates. Either way it is a Marshall Combo.

I don't get it either. You should've just said Marshall to begin with. Yes, it will work. But what kind of Marshall is 80 watts?
--

--
Quote by VGuitarist80
This http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/marshall/g80rcd/index.html .

It is not as good as that page makes it sound though.. at least mine isn't.

Thats a 100W amp....

EDIT: By the way, you're very inconsistent. You lack a basic understanding of simple gear terms, AND you're here asking for advice on something thats just fundamentally "duh", but when given an answer, you assume a moral high ground..."some people are just stupid...?". make up your mind on whether or not you're a nincompoop. It'll make our lives easier.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
You thought a "crate amp" was another name for a combo amp? Or you thought Crate was another name for Marshall?

Either way, if the ohms match and you never take the Bugera over 5(to be safe), you should be okay. You danger blowing the speaker though if you turn the Bugera up too high. The speaker can only handle 80 watts and the Bugera will push out over 120 when dimed.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by theoreticmusic
Thats a 100W amp....

EDIT: By the way, you're very inconsistent. You lack a basic understanding of simple gear terms, AND you're here asking for advice on something thats just fundamentally "duh", but when given an answer, you assume a moral high ground..."some people are just stupid...?". make up your mind on whether or not you're a nincompoop. It'll make our lives easier.

It says "G80R CD" on the front of my amp, my amp looks like that (except not silver) and mine is a Transistor Amp.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Thats a 100W amp....

For something thats fundamentally "duh", it was hard to get a answer (except one person on page one), the only terms that was used is Crate Amp and Combo Amp by the way or is that a lot to you.
Quote by VGuitarist80
For something thats fundamentally "duh", it was hard to get a answer (except one person on page one), the only terms that was used is Crate Amp and Combo Amp by the way or is that a lot to you.

That's because everyone else is seriously amazed at your insolence.
For the love of Allah, Buddha, or your Grandmother, seriously.
You obviously know nothing about this stuff. That's my point.
Your amp IS 100 watts. It says 80 in the name, but its a 100w Solid State (Transistor) amp.

But feel free to go buy your 120 watt "tubb" amp head and forgo the purchase of a "cabinet amp" and just plug it directly into your "crate amp". Then crank the volume up to ten.

By the way, I recommend a Spider III for br00tal distortion and sweet effects.
It even has a button that makes you sound like Metallica. (the entire band).
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by VGuitarist80

Yes, you need a lot more details. Just because you say "Marshall amps" can mean many thing, which can include MG.

Likewise, Crate have made many amps, be it tubes or SS, be it head or combo. In any case, you are showing us a Bugera, and by insisting on calling it "crate" it just make you look ignorant.

Lastly, how are you connecting it? The way you word it seems to indicate that you want to connect the speaker out to the line-in or speaker out, which is a big no-no in any case. The only way you can connect an amp head to a combo is by connecting the speaker of the combo directly to the amp head's speaker out, by actually taking the wire from the actual speakers and through the appropriate plug.

Unfortunately, that's all I can help you; you need to check the rating of the speaker of your combo in order to see whether it will be overloaded.

As for this fundamentally "duh": In a way it is, for someone who is purchasing a 120w tube amp head. It is a forgivable question for a beginner, but not for someone who should be able to play expertly.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Sep 13, 2008,
Quote by VGuitarist80

No this does not work. You can plug the SPEAKER into the head, but cannot connect a line out to your head. I'd cause a pretty major impedance mismatch.

Most speakers in solid state amps have an impedance of 4 ohms, but you should make sure and measure with a multimeter before plugging anything in.