I was looking between getting two different Ibanez guitars. One of them looks badass and has everything i want with just a pup swap, and the other is not quite as rad but its a fixed bridge. So i'm trying to figure out if the Edge III tremolo is really that poor or will i be alright with it. I play metal and if i had one would find places to use a tremolo but am worried about what i've heard about the Edge III. thanks for the help
It'll need swapping out after about 6 months to 2 years if you're lucky. It's a direct swap for an Edge Pro.
It SHOULD last the life of the guitar as should the OFR, FR Pro, JT580(new ones)/590, the Gotoh FR, and the Edge and Lo-Pro edge. They're all made of hardened steel.
TO Webbtje: I've actually seen one with a broken (read as: part was snapped off) baseplate.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
It SHOULD last the life of the guitar as should the OFR, FR Pro, JT580(new ones)/590, the Gotoh FR, and the Edge and Lo-Pro edge. They're all made of hardened steel.

The Edge 3 is not made of out hardened steel. It is a piece of low-price crap and is basically designed to break.

Quote by eyezclosed
and how hard is it to do and how much does an edge pro cost?

Google and Ebay, respectively.
Last edited by webbtje at Sep 12, 2008,
Quote by webbtje
The Edge 3 is not made of out hardened steel. It is a piece of low-price crap and is basically designed to break.

I meant the Edge Pro. The edge three is well, as you put it, junk.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I meant the Edge Pro. The edge three is well, as you put it, junk.

Good, good

My bad. There are so many trem n00bs posting (EDGE PROS AND LO PROS ARE MADE OF COPPER OLOLOL) that I tend to over-react.
I'll bet the Edge III is made of zinc. Yeah?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by eyezclosed
I was looking between getting two different Ibanez guitars. One of them looks badass and has everything i want with just a pup swap, and the other is not quite as rad but its a fixed bridge. So i'm trying to figure out if the Edge III tremolo is really that poor or will i be alright with it. I play metal and if i had one would find places to use a tremolo but am worried about what i've heard about the Edge III. thanks for the help

I really, really wouldn't get it if I were you. I just had an Ibanez Neck-Thru Xiphos with one, and even then, with it being completely setup, the trem SUCKED. IMPOSSIBLE to tune.
http://www.youtube.com/user/w0nk001

1977 Gibson SG

Line 6 Toneport UX2

Peavey EVH 5150

Quote by poidaobi;8303134
Fiddy Juan Fiddy
Dual Rectumfrier Too Chaaan

Had an ENGRUL Powerlawl and a Fraymus Co-Bra.
id just stick with the original Edge and Lo Pro
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by oneblackened
I'll bet the Edge III is made of zinc. Yeah?

It is probably made of a low grade steel and the chrome plated. I bought a cheap Ibanez with an Edge III as a beater guitar and it only lasted a few month. When properly set up it WILL hold in tune(thus the reason why so many say it is good), however a trem's quality is determined on sustainability. Many pro's who have owned an older Charvel will state that even thirty years later, they still have the same trem. At first an Edge III will do fine, but after moderate use, it will wear out and no longer hold proper tuning. I knew this going in and when they wore out, I simply blocked the trem. A VERY cheap way to do this is to put a screw through the backplate with a nut on the other side to hold it in. The proper size screw(1/4" diameter, 1 1/2" length) will enable you to still drop the trem, but not pull up. A tremel-no will do the same thing but for $45-$60, rather than $2. Just make sure to measure prior to drilling so when you screw on the backplate, it will slide in between the trem block and the wood. The tension of the springs will pull the guitar against the screw, no matter the condition of the knife edges and return you to tune everytime(the saddles throwing off tune is another story). The knife edges on good trems are usually hardened steel. This is why brands like ORIGINAL Floyd Rose, Schaller, Gotoh, and older Edge's are long lasting. Schaller is thought to be better than Floyd Rose and this is true because of the knife edges. Schallers are manufactured in Germany where steel is general is of a higher quality. German made power tools are the same way.