Not sure if this is better in the bass section. But I'll post it anyway. I started playing bass a few weeks ago, and have only noticed this in the last few days.

Whenever I'm not touching a string, a buzzing sound is outputted through the amp, as soon as I touch one, the sound stops. But if I do it quickly, a small pop/crackle sound is made. This is prominent when playing quickly. Any ideas what could cause this?

Bass: Fernandes Gravity 4x, dual P-Style active pick-ups.
Amp: Peavy MAX 158 15w Combo
It's most likely a grounding problem, go to a tech and get it sorted.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
My guitar does this also, usually on the high D or low D strings (DGCFAd), however, I only notice this on my Fender Squier Champ 15G amp, NOT on my Ibanez stack.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."

check that the two wires are still secure.

then check that your guitar cable isnt shoddy.

if both of those are good then you will need to look in the guitar for a loose ground.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It can also be caused by a crap ground that the amp is plugged into, if it's grounded at all. Not sure where you live, but make sure the 3rd prong on the amp plug is there, and that it's plugged into a grounded outlet. Don't try to cheat by either snipping off the ground prong of the amp cord or plugging it into one of those 3 to 2 outlet adaptors if you don't have a 3 hole outlet to plug into.
Quote by LeftyDave
It can also be caused by a crap ground that the amp is plugged into, if it's grounded at all. Not sure where you live, but make sure the 3rd prong on the amp plug is there, and that it's plugged into a grounded outlet. Don't try to cheat by either snipping off the ground prong of the amp cord or plugging it into one of those 3 to 2 outlet adaptors if you don't have a 3 hole outlet to plug into.
Yeah, it's grounded. I've played a guitar through the same cable and amp no problem, so I guess it's the bass. I'll take it into a shop and have it checked over, but thanks for all the help anyway.
Last edited by RatzaChewy at Sep 14, 2008,
^
it's not fretbuzz.

it's electrical not mechanical.

and if fretbuzz bothers you, then adjust your setup.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It's a grounding problem, either in the bass or the cable. Or you're playing too close to a computer (esp. a laptop) fluorescent lights or a TV. Or the outlets in your house are not grounded correctly (possible in an older house).
Quote by anarkee
It's a grounding problem, either in the bass or the cable. Or you're playing too close to a computer (esp. a laptop) fluorescent lights or a TV. Or the outlets in your house are not grounded correctly (possible in an older house).
I'm always close to my brother's laptop, and my Wii is on standby 24/7. I'll give it a shot tomorrow when he's out.

EDIT: It's my upstairs wiring. Turned off near enough everything off at the switch and the buzzing wasn't as loud. Tried downstairs and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.
Last edited by RatzaChewy at Sep 15, 2008,