Anyone here know how to set a background image of a table so it tiles?
I've been searching on the web trying to find an easy way to decrease my table opacity, but keep the contents opaque, but google turns up nothing. CSS seems to offer easy solutions to make the entire table opaque, but it also affects the contents.

A solution suggested to me seems to be to create a semitransparent GIF or PNG image, and then set that as the table background. I want to know how to tile this image so it repeats across all cells of all the tables.

Any help?

Also, I began learning HTML about 3 weeks ago, and CSS 2 weeks ago. ATM, I'm using Dreamweaver, since I lack experience, so please...be gentle...
all those CSS folk have got some kind of death wish for anybody using tables for layouts
You shouldn't be using tables for layout. At all.

Rewite it - don't learn HTML and learn to use tables. Learn from the start that they exist for semantic meaning - literally, tabular data - and instead style things with CSS and semantic elements.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
Quote by NemesisX
You shouldn't be using tables for layout. At all.

Rewite it - don't learn HTML and learn to use tables. Learn from the start that they exist for semantic meaning - literally, tabular data - and instead style things with CSS and semantic elements.

This.

A really good book you should get is the CSS: Missing Manual by David Pogue. Your local library should have it. It teaches you how to design webpages on the CSS standard, rather than the old (and hacky ghey) HTML standard when CSS wasn't a part of it and people found hacks around designing webpages.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
This.

A really good book you should get is the CSS: Missing Manual by David Pogue. Your local library should have it. It teaches you how to design webpages on the CSS standard, rather than the old (and hacky ghey) HTML standard when CSS wasn't a part of it and people found hacks around designing webpages.

I just learnt it from hacking together bits on w3schools.com and stealing from other webpages

though I only every bother to test it out in firefox and a html validator thing....screw how it renders in IE
w3schools is a decent start, but if you really want to design a good page, it sucks ass. It's very very very very very very very very brief and doesn't teach you all of the finer details that are so important in designing a good page.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Cheers, but I've got about a week to do this in, and I've got a very, VERY simple site to build that I've pretty much done. I know rewriting it using CSS is the right thing to do, but I'm one bit of code away from THE PATH TO GLORY, so if anyone can help me with the tiling thing, I'd be grateful. I promise in the future I'll use CSS like a good little coder.
That's fine, but, you need to learn from the right places.

I don't know any good places because I already know it, lol. But you shouldn't bother with learning this incorrect way. Trust me - there will come a day when you'll be like 'Holy shit, tables are completely useless'. Probably the day you get assigned to rewrite a site which uses tables for everything.

I very nearly killed myself.

EDIT

Ehhh, fine. Erm - I don't know though, actually. Not the faintest idea.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
Why don't you help yourself to one of these and go from there?

http://www.freecsstemplates.org/

Easy solution --> add this to your head.

<style>

table {

background-image: url(*insert stuff here*);
background-repeat: repeat;

}

</style>

Done!
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Sep 12, 2008,
Quote by LordBishek
You guy's aren't helping my morale. And you, Filth, I'm disappointed in you

I'm sorry , help yourself to a hug in my sig.
Quote by darkstar2466
Why don't you help yourself to one of these and go from there?

http://www.freecsstemplates.org/

I'll look into it, but since I've already essentially finished the site apart from this one missing code fragment, I'd still rather someone gave me the quick fix. Then after I paste it in and forget the site ever existed, I can quite happily gie my HTML book to the local tramp to use as spare rizla paper
Look at my edit.

EDIT: Whoops. No semicolons please.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Sep 12, 2008,
Quote by filthandfury
I'm sorry , help yourself to a hug in my sig.

*Takes hug*

Thank you

EDIT - To Old Gay Gandalf: Cheers dude, but is it for the page BG, or the table BG?

Ah well, will find out in a second
Last edited by LordBishek at Sep 12, 2008,
1) No semicolons within internal stylesheet. Messed up the syntax in the original post.

2) It's for the table background. If it was for the page background, I would say

html {

background-repeat: repeat

}
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
1) No semicolons within internal stylesheet. Messed up the syntax in the original post.

2) It's for the table background. If it was for the page background, I would say

html {

background-repeat: repeat

}

Cheers man. And now for the ultimate noobish question - where the hell do I put it? at the moment, its sitting on the line below my <head> code, but before everything else.
<html>
<head>
<style>
</style>
</head>

</body>
</body>
</html>
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie

You can't make [static] webpages if you don't use HTML.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

You can't make [static] webpages if you don't use HTML.

I'm never planning to make a webpage again actually.