My knowledge of guitars is limited, having only been playing for a year.

The guitar doesn't stay in tune very long, after about 2 songs I have to retune it, which with the g string especially can be a pain. I put new strings on it last month, so they are fairly new, I usually replace them every 3 to 4 months. My guitar has been sounding off though recently, and im getting what I think might be fret buzz on my low e and d strings. Something about it just sounds off, anybody know what the problem might be?

I would just take it up to guitar center and see if they could figure out, but since I live about an hour and a half away from the closest one, I dont know when that would be.

I'm sure there is something I could do here, unless it needs a neck adjustment.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
i would just take it to a local guitar shop and get them to do a full setup
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
i would just take it to a local guitar shop and get them to do a full setup

Yeah, only thing is the guy here wouldn't be much help probably, and he'd charge me about 50 bucks too probably, his insanely bad prices and crappy stuff is leading him to go out of business, end of the month he's closing I think.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by FireandFlames
New tuners for it. Seriously.

I probably need these, they claim they are grovers, I know grovers shouldnt suck this bad, and if they are, they must be cheap.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
My Sg400 custom has tuning issues on the G with grovers, but I dunno, after about a month of having the new strings on it sorts itself out

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
problems I have had with mine:

1. crappy nut; leads to string getting stuck and other crap. also hard to put graphite in there to help tuning

2. crappy tune-o-matic; the saddle bits in it wear very easily, I've had to shave them down to get rid of buzz that was being caused by warped metal that had come due to the strings being there....

3. cracking in the neck finish (possibly wood); there is a crack on either sides of the neck slowly running down on my g-400 and I have seen it on other ones aswell.

4. its made in china ffs; tbh what do you expect from a chinese guitar?
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
yeah its made in china

sadly i was too late to get a korean one

I just blew all my money on a new amp, so while id like a new electric, this aint happening for a while.

How much would good tuners cost? Im also looking to replace the pickups as well, basically try and make a good guitar out of it, suggestions for someone who plays mostly classic rock, punk, grunge?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Get yourself a decent set of Sperzel or Grover tuners. Sperzels will cost you at least $60 and decent Grovers will cost you about $40-$50

A new nut and new saddles as well. A Graph Tech nut is like $8 or $9 and some Graph Tech String Saver saddles for a TOM bridge are around the $20 mark
Could I get someone at gc to install all of this for me?

i wouldnt want to screw my guitar up even more.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Are you sure you used the right string guage when you changed the strings? I know it's a noobish thing to ask, but sometimes you do it without realizing it. I did that once >.<. Very, very stupid on my part. It had the same, well, symptoms, as your guitar has.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Considering you buy regular priced strings (ernie ball) I would suggest changing strings more often than you do. Once every 3 weeks maybe?

Not saying that'll fix the problem, its just nice to play on good strings.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic-Electric CD140SCE
Quote by Mlrc
Are you sure you used the right string guage when you changed the strings? I know it's a noobish thing to ask, but sometimes you do it without realizing it. I did that once >.<. Very, very stupid on my part. It had the same, well, symptoms, as your guitar has.

I have been using 10s since I got the guitar, 10s came on it too

I always buy the same strings
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
I have been using 10s since I got the guitar, 10s came on it too

I always buy the same strings

Just making sure. Better safe then sorry I always say ^.^. Well, since it's not strings, just get your guitar checked out. If it's still under warranty from wherever you bought it, bring it back there to get checked out.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Quote by IdiotWind
Considering you buy regular priced strings (ernie ball) I would suggest changing strings more often than you do. Once every 3 weeks maybe?

Not saying that'll fix the problem, its just nice to play on good strings.

how did you know i use ernie balls?

either way, if this is the case, whats a good set of tens, Im def not gonna change my strings that much, with school and having a personal life from time to time I dont really have much time to.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I haven't had any problem with my LP's grovers, so maybe you got a bad set? Whatever the reason they're not expensive at all, around 50 for a locking set on stew-mac.
EDIT: If you only switch every few months, I'd say Cleartone EMP's or Elixir Nanowebs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Mlrc
Just making sure. Better safe then sorry I always say ^.^. Well, since it's not strings, just get your guitar checked out. If it's still under warranty from wherever you bought it, bring it back there to get checked out.

doubt it is, seeing sunday is my birthday, and tomorrow will be exactly one year from when I bought the guitar.

How much do you think it would cost for them to check it out?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by oneblackened
I haven't had any problem with my LP's grovers, so maybe you got a bad set? Whatever the reason they're not expensive at all, around 50 for a locking set on stew-mac.
EDIT: If you only switch every few months, I'd say Cleartone EMP's or Elixir Nanowebs.

when did you buy it, and is it made in china?

Either way, for the higher priced epis its still pretty good quality, g-400 quality noticeably dropped after they started to be made in china from what i hear.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
It's going to be one of three problems:

1) You're not restringing the guitar correctly. This is the #1 reason why any guitar has tuning problems. Even crappy $40 Strat copies with rubbish tremolo bridges will hold tune well so long as they were restrung properly. The most likely cause of your problems is the guitar needs to be restrung better.

2) Nut binding. Perhaps the plastic nut wasn't filed properly, so there might be some loose little bits of plastic hanging around. Wipe a tissue through each nut slot to make sure each slot is clean, then put some graphite in the slots (rub a pencil lead in there). This should fix most nut problems. Replacing the nut with a better cut graphite or bone nut should also fix any nut problems, but I find most plastic nuts do a good enough job so long as you service it properly.

3) Bad intonation and neck setup. Perhaps the neck is too curved, or not curved enough; perhaps you messed with the action in a detrimental way; perhaps the intonation is thrown completely off, hence why it's often sounding very out of tune. If any of these are the case, take your guitar to a qualified luthier to be setup properly.

Also, two other things worth of note:
- Remember that strings take a short while to 'settle', even if they were stretched fully before being strung on the guitar. You can't expect the guitar to hold perfect tuning the second you restring it. It will usually take a couple of hours of playing for the strings to fully settle.
- It won't be the tuners or bridge. Those newer Chinese made Epi's have two good things going for them: Grover tuners as standard and better bridges than even Gibson Standards get (bizarrely). If you change either, you'll almost certainly be downgrading.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
when did you buy it, and is it made in china?

Either way, for the higher priced epis its still pretty good quality, g-400 quality noticeably dropped after they started to be made in china from what i hear.

It's an '06 model, and it is MIC. Unsung China factory, Dec. '06. I bought it in January.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I just made a wild guess on the ernie ball thing.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic-Electric CD140SCE
well then whats the proper way to re-string it? my dad and me have always just put the new string by the old one and cut it to be the same length, I didnt think this was right though.

Could this be a reason why my guitar has tuning problems and chords sound kind of meh on it?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Well, firstly you shouldn't really be cutting the string length until it's actually on the guitar and you're sure you've wound it around the tuning peg sufficiently.

Mainly though, when it comes to tuning, it's about making sure you're putting it through the peg hole from the right direction (on most guitars, this is from the inside of the headstock to the outside), and making sure when it's wrapped around, none of the wraps are lapping over each other (this can cause tons of tuning problems, and is probably the first thing you should check for), nor that you have too many (or too few) wraps. Usually around 4 wraps around the peg is right for most tuners on most guitars, some may need a couple more and some guitar/tuner combinations need one or two wraps less. The wrap count depends also on what strings you're using (thicker strings tend to need a few fewer wraps around the tuning peg than thinner ones).

If you are at all unsure, check on YouTube for a guy called justinguitar, he put up a good simple guide how to restring a guitar correctly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've had no problems with my G400, tuners are perfect, and everything works fine after a proper set up. One of the TOM pegs was inserted a little skew at the factory, which pissed me off, but it's caused no problems yet. Just performed with the thing too and it held tune fine and felt great. Be meticulous with your restringing though. The smaller the string, the more wraps in general. The lower 3 only need 2-3 wraps, and the top, 4 sometimes 5.

And I will say, for tone, it is worth getting it rewired to gibson 50s style wiring without the master volume for the combined pickups setting. They use a few unnecessary wires, and I discovered my neck volume pot was faulty from the factory. Pots, luckily are dirt cheap and soldering is easy, so I say do it. It improved my tone more than I expected, and I also replaced the caps with metal film, and the treble rolloff is much more pronounced, with the cleaned up circuit helpin as well. It makes the guitar sound more 'bright'.
Quote by ljohn
I've had no problems with my G400, tuners are perfect, and everything works fine after a proper set up. One of the TOM pegs was inserted a little skew at the factory, which pissed me off, but it's caused no problems yet. Just performed with the thing too and it held tune fine and felt great. Be meticulous with your restringing though. The smaller the string, the more wraps in general. The lower 3 only need 2-3 wraps, and the top, 4 sometimes 5.

And I will say, for tone, it is worth getting it rewired to gibson 50s style wiring without the master volume for the combined pickups setting. They use a few unnecessary wires, and I discovered my neck volume pot was faulty from the factory. Pots, luckily are dirt cheap and soldering is easy, so I say do it. It improved my tone more than I expected, and I also replaced the caps with metal film, and the treble rolloff is much more pronounced, with the cleaned up circuit helpin as well. It makes the guitar sound more 'bright'.

I dont know shit about soldering, nor do I own tools to do this, ill probably get a pro to look at it though, because while it could be the strings, its wrapped how you people say it should be.

Im thinking it might be intonation or the neck.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
throw a bigsby and a locking tuners on it and it will be teh sex i plan on hot rodding one myself
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Here's my guide on tuning stability:

There's several factors, when you're trying to keep a guitar in tune:
- Stringing technique
- proper setup
- As little friction as possible.

So let's attack these possible problems.
Friction - Your guitar has what are called string trees:

The circled metal thing keeps the string from popping out of the string nut. Useful, but they also create friction that prevents the string from returning to its proper pitch after a bend or something. So...apply some sort of lubrication to to the underside of the string tree, as pointed to by the arrow. Use something like Big Bends Nut Sauce, or Guitar Grease. Even pencil lead will work. Simply grind the pencil lead into dust on a paper, and use some of this dust on the point of friction. You can even use machine oil.
The same problem occurs at the string nut. Each groove has a bit of friction. So you can apply the same lubricant there, underneath the string, and that will help. You can also buy the appropriate replacement nut, but the nut should be made of graphite. There's less friction from that material.

Moving on to setup. There's a lot of material to cover with setup, far more than I feel inclined to go into...but I can point you towards some helpful links:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241&page=1&pp=20

Lastly, stringing technique. Yes, it's possible to string a guitar improperly. I actually mess with my Strats trem a lot, and it stays in tune really nicely. Of course, I have it lubricated at the proper points of friction and have a graphite nut, but I don't use locking tuners or anything like that. The secret? Stringing your guitar the right way! Here's a link that will show you how I do it:
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html

The SG obviously doesn't have string trees, so skip that bit.
oh, thanks
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
i didnt change the tuners in mine and it doesn't go out of tune at all.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
I think i might need to restring it properly, i just broke my d string so im going to restring it.

I know most people let their strings sit in standard for a few days to let the strings stretch out or something, but it would be okay if i tuned it half a step down after restringing it right?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I had a korean g400 a couple of years back, it had some nice Grovers on there, never had any problems with tuning unless I had just changed the strings (hadn't learnt the improtance of stretching them out before strumming away
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
I think i might need to restring it properly, i just broke my d string so im going to restring it.

I know most people let their strings sit in standard for a few days to let the strings stretch out or something, but it would be okay if i tuned it half a step down after restringing it right?

I just bend the hell out of all my strings for a few minutes.