Should I get new pickups (suggest some) or a ts9? I have an epi les paul standard and a valvetronix ad30vt. I play classic rock and blues.
Last edited by liamdude555 at Sep 15, 2008,
The TS9 will have more uses than a new set of pickups but really you'd be better off buying a decent small tube amp like an Epiphone Valve Junior or similar, that would get you much closer to the archetypal classic rock tone than either of the things you suggested will.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The TS9 will have more uses than a new set of pickups but really you'd be better off buying a decent small tube amp like an Epiphone Valve Junior or similar, that would get you much closer to the archetypal classic rock tone than either of the things you suggested will.
Isnt valvetronix better than the valve jr?
IMO, yes, the Valvetronix is better. You can do a lot with it tonally. Also, I'd really recommend a set of seymour duncans for the guitar before you get a TS9. My first guitar was an Epiphone SG Special. I swapped out the pickups for a set of Seymour Duncans, and it really really expanded the sound. I play all sorts of music. Blues, metal, prog-rock, you can really get a crazy variety out of the Seymour Duncan JB and 59 set.
The valvetronix sounds like a hybrid. If it is, I would say you can better tone out of an all tube combo like the valve jr. Hybrids will never sound like a true tube or even seem somehow more ike a tube than a solid-state.
Last edited by Tommy Walker at Sep 16, 2008,
Quote by Grocelog
IMO, yes, the Valvetronix is better. You can do a lot with it tonally. Also, I'd really recommend a set of seymour duncans for the guitar before you get a TS9. My first guitar was an Epiphone SG Special. I swapped out the pickups for a set of Seymour Duncans, and it really really expanded the sound. I play all sorts of music. Blues, metal, prog-rock, you can really get a crazy variety out of the Seymour Duncan JB and 59 set.

^ what he said.

Though, I can't stand the Valvetronix. The tone, even for a tube amp, doesn't have nearly enough punch/bite that it needs for it's 'metal' preset amps.
http://www.youtube.com/user/w0nk001

1977 Gibson SG

Line 6 Toneport UX2

Peavey EVH 5150

Quote by poidaobi;8303134
Fiddy Juan Fiddy
Dual Rectumfrier Too Chaaan

Had an ENGRUL Powerlawl and a Fraymus Co-Bra.
Quote by Grocelog
Well I only play blues and classic rock. I was thinking about an alnico II and a 59 for the pickups does that sound good?