I got this friend, and long story short, her dad's an abusive asshole and her mom is a stupid bitch. Anyway, her parents are divorced and apparently her mom has custody of her until she is 22.

Is this legal? Like, I might be mistaken here but in the US, when you turn 18, aren't you legally and adult and can make your own descisions? I'm just trying to help her our with this, cause she's turning 18 and hates her parents.

Thanks, Pit.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Right, a "friend".
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Was it her parents who told her that? Because if it was, I could imagine it being a lie, since I thought it was 18 that you were legally an adult, although I'm not 100% sure of US law on this. I mean, you're not allowed to drink till 21, so it's possible there are other legal ages which are abnormally high.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by GnR_ROK
Right, a "friend".

Well considering that the thread starter is male, and was born in 1993, I doubt that it's him.

Quote by break-me-in
Was it her parents who told her that? Because if it was, I could imagine it being a lie, since I thought it was 18 that you were legally an adult, although I'm not 100% sure of US law on this. I mean, you're not allowed to drink till 21, so it's possible there are other legal ages which are abnormally high.

That is correct, the age of legal adulthood is 18.
I'm almost completely sure they can't keep custody of her until she is 22.
So, what I'm saying, is that her parents are full of shit.
Last edited by FreeManson15 at Sep 12, 2008,
lol wut? that makes no effing sense. tell her to do what she wants when shes 18 anyway. whats her mom gonna do?
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
adult at 18, can leave at 16 i think, but thats state to state
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Yeah there is no way that they have custody of her until 22. At 18 your an adult and can make your own choices about where you live and stuff. Man that makes me mad that they would say that. Lust let her know that she can do whatever she wants when shes 18.
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Quote by ShredGod George
adult at 18, can leave at 16 i think, but thats state to state

You can be emancipated at 16. I don't think you can just leave, I've tried.
At 18 you can do anything except drink alcohol, rent a car, or run for president. So yeah, she can leave.

EDIT: Or gambling, depending on your state, but here in Minnesota gambling age is 18.

2nd EDIT: You can't leave at 16, you can only drop out of school with parental/guardian permission.
Quote by break-me-in

I can see them lying to her. Considering she has scars on her head under her hair and they deny ever having doing those to her or her going into surgery or something like that.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
She should get emancipated. Which is basically a divorce from her parents. All she needs is proof that they abuse her. (The scars will suffice) I believe she can move out after emancipation although I'm not sure.
Where I come from, kids can become emancipated from their parents around 15-16 or so, if they can prove why their current environment is harmful, and they could support themselves on their own.
Last edited by Tire Me. at Sep 12, 2008,
You stop being marked as independent at 22 dont you? I mean, thats why college's look at your parents income to decide how much money to give you. You are a legal adult at 18, but you arent marked as independent until 22.

Not that being marked as independent matters at all as far as leaving the house and living your own life is concerned.

Maybe my facts are screwed up?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
the only slight way i could possibly think that would be true is if your friend had some sort of disability which would prevent her from being able to live on her own... and even then i dont know if it would be illegal for them to move out.
Thanks guys. I'll talk to her about this. I think we can get her emancipated. She's a pretty resourceful person and has lots of friends that can help her out if she needs to live on her own. If not then she's only got a month or so until she turns 18.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
Quote by HuckIt
Technically, with a really good lawyer, its kidnapping.

But with a conservative judge, its perfectly legal because

*clears throat*

"Thou shall honor thy mother and thy father."
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Here in the UK, you can leave home aged 16. 18 is the age when you become an adult, however.

I seriously doubt that her mum can keep her there until she is 22. Even if she has "custody" of her, surely that just means that the mother is obliged to care for her until she reaches that age, if she chooses to stay at home - not that she can't leave.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
Here in the UK, you can leave home aged 16. 18 is the age when you become an adult, however.

I seriously doubt that her mum can keep her there until she is 22. Even if she has "custody" of her, surely that just means that the mother is obliged to care for her until she reaches that age, if she chooses to stay at home - not that she can't leave.

Hm, that makes a really good point. Thanks esther_mouse!
Thats just the thing I need to help her with this.
Quote by HuckIt