Do I actually need a good sound card in order for it to sound decent? I just want to play my guitar through my headphones, since after I moved to residence I can't play very loud (I usually play with pre volume at 4/10 and master at 0.5/10, and I still think it's too loud.)
Gear:
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
ESP EC-400
TS-9 DX
Stagg Strat-a-like
MIJ Boss CE-2
No, you don't need a good sound card. You should have a decent sound card, though. If I were you, I'd look into and invest in a processor pedal, or even modeling hardware like the Line6 GuitarPort. I used to just use it soley for playing 'loud' at night, you know, headphones. But I got pretty damn good tones, and if I didn't tell you, you wouldn't know the songs in my profile were recorded with a GuitarPort.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
yeah, that or Pods.

I use my Digitech multi effect pedal into amp and then also PC via USB and then Audacity if I want to record. That unit also has a headphone jack which can be handy for silent playing. Guitar port comes with a table top codec right? Or as an option? That becomes your sound card.

Where sound cards fall down is if you want to plug your guitar directly into mic or line in to PC and nothing else in-between. Maybe someone can correct me.

edited for clarity
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 12, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah, that or Pods.

I use my Digitech multi effect pedal (with headphone jack) into PC via USB and then Audacity if I want to record. Guitar port comes with a table top codec right? Or as an option? That becomes your sound card.

Where sound cards fall down is if you want to plug your guitar directly into mic or line in to PC and nothing else. Maybe someone can correct me.

Right, the GuitarPort, as I'm sure holds true for all Line6 modeling hardware, they call come with their own 'soundcard' or version of. So you'll get good sounds, good tones, good levels, no questions about it.

I used to use my Zoom505II pedal waaaay back in the day (I thought it was the coolest thing since...) and it wasn't a good pedal, at all, broke on me.. a lot. But it was nice for the simple part of being able to rock out with no one hearing your awesomeness..or crappyness.

I got my GuitarPort for well under retail, I think they retailed then around $130.00 or something, I may be off. I'm not exactly sure how the multi-effect pedals work in relation to recording direct, I haven't tried it. But if they're the same, go for one of those, as they may be less expensive.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
So what would be good stuff to download? No matter the price I got ways in order to "acquire"it.
Gear:
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
ESP EC-400
TS-9 DX
Stagg Strat-a-like
MIJ Boss CE-2
Quote by Fired_Scape
So what would be good stuff to download? No matter the price I got ways in order to "acquire"it.

Yeah I download my software, too. I love Adobe Audtion 1.5. There is a 2.0, and maybe even a later version now, but 1.5 is just more familiar. I use that more for EQing each track. For recording, I use more of Sony's Acid 6.0, I think there might be a later version of that as well.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original