Page 1 of 2
im trying to decide which pickups i want. i definitely want active for that aggressive crisp sound. in the neck pickup i want kind of warm and soulful, very sweet.
i don't find active pups to be all that warm, but what is your current gear and do you play lead or rhythm guitar?
Gear:
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Line 6 Spider 3 (75 watt) [please dont flame me]
Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Quote by Ghold125
i don't find active pups to be all that warm, but what is your current gear and do you play lead or rhythm guitar?

i've also heard that using an 18v battery on emgs makes the sound warmer but still sounds active.
umm, sorry to say but getting new pups won't due much at all to your tone and you would just be wasting about $200..
id recommend emg 81/85, with 18v battery, instead of a regular 9v
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
Quote by JOEYPWNSU

whats the difference between the 85 and 60?
Quote by grimguitarist91
whats the difference between the 85 and 60?

what type of music would you be playing? 60 is better for cleans
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
because your using a crappy amp that will not so all the characteristics of the tone. Also the fact that you want to then run actives will kinda destroy what ever is left of your tone. and why exactly do you want new pups?
Quote by JOEYPWNSU
what type of music would you be playing? 60 is better for cleans

i pretty much never play clean. i always have some distortion. and i kinda play southern-influenced shred. imagine zakk wylde but less tacky, but i also enjoy playing in diatonic and harmonic minor. so pretty much everything. for my main lead tone i like to turn the bass and mids up and the treble down a little bit. i use a lot of smooth distortion with a good-sized dollop of reverb and delay.
Quote by Ghold125
because your using a crappy amp that will not so all the characteristics of the tone. Also the fact that you want to then run actives will kinda destroy what ever is left of your tone. and why exactly do you want new pups?

cuz most stock pups stink, these don't have enough output for me.
I really like the 81/60 on my LTD. But I don't think active pickups will do much beyond get noisy with your amp.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
no difference will be made with a spider. AMP BEFORE PICKUPS.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
alright, i understand that everyone here hates spider 3's but aside from that, im talking about your personal experiences with the pickups.
Quote by grimguitarist91
i pretty much never play clean. i always have some distortion. and i kinda play southern-influenced shred. imagine zakk wylde but less tacky, but i also enjoy playing in diatonic and harmonic minor. so pretty much everything. for my main lead tone i like to turn the bass and mids up and the treble down a little bit. i use a lot of smooth distortion with a good-sized dollop of reverb and delay.

id definitely recomend the 81/85, but honestly i think that money would be better spent towards a better amp first. the pickups alone are gonna be 200$, and if you arent installing them yourself, that could be up to another 100$ also... thats 300$ for the pickups that wont change your tone that much. Id personally say get a better amp, then the pickups, but if you insist on getting new pickups, get the 81/85 i guess
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
yeah, getting a new amp is not an option, i just got that one for my birthday like a month ago and if i tried getting another one, my dad would be PISSED. and quite honestly, i like it. if you know how to use it right it is actually quite nice. and yeah, id be installing it myself.
Blackouts on 9v are supposedly like EMG's on 18v.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by grimguitarist91
and the blackouts are cheaper... so im thinking the blackouts. anyone else agree?

Not me

See, spiders are designed, as modeling amps, to make everything sound the same. And since a pickup change makes a much more subtle difference in tone, you won't hear a big difference. At least, you wouldn't with passives. HOWEVER, active pickups drive an amp much harder to get that extra gain and a solid state modeler pushed hard is going to clip badly. And if you know what clipping sounds like, you will agree that pickups are not the solution to your problem.
Quote by JOEYPWNSU

+1
thats what i got
BulletzAreScene
I say BLACKOUTS all the way, Emgs have the same tone for any guitar you put in it, but Blackouts add more of your guitars smooth-warm-mahogany sound
yeah check out my 10 watt amp... connected to an mt-2 metal zone pedal and an ibanez iceman..... thats the rig of fantasies right there
STOP BEING SUCH A DOUCHE.

listen to what everyone has said.
save your money for when you CAN get a new amp.

or spend it on smack, since you're clearly on it.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
im not being a douche, im just trying to figure out which pickups are better, no matter what amp your playing through.
Quote by Ghold125
can i just know WHY you want new pups when they wont do anything?

i need something with higher output.
bullshit

the spider has enough gain for satan himself.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by grimguitarist91
i dont need more gain, i need more output i need something that picksup more of the harmonics.

Understand that no pickups will help this

Modelling amps suck at doing this. Save your money, and get a better amp
that is the ONLY way you'll get better harmonics and tone.
Quote by grimguitarist91
im not being a douche, im just trying to figure out which pickups are better, no matter what amp your playing through.

The point is, the amp has a huge effect on your sound. The biggest effect, actually. Spiders are literally designed to make all guitars (and all pickups) sound exactly the same.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
ok, i see what your saying. i thought the amp was supposed to sound like different amps but you still of the freedom of being able to subtly change your sound through your guitar.
What the hell? he just asked a question about pickups and all anyone can do is flame his amp...
Obviously switching from passive pickups to EMG's is going to change his tone, no matter what amp he's playing through, so the people saying it's not going to change anything are just ignorant. Even if it changes it for the worse, there is still going to be a difference.

I would give some advice, on your pickups, but I'm not an EMG or blackout fan anyway, so my advice would be to get niether, which isn't realy an answere to your question anyway.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
instead of spending $200 on those pickups, u can sell ur amp, and with that money plus the 200 bucks you would spend on pickups, u could buy a great amp.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by HLrocker
What the hell? he just asked a question about pickups and all anyone can do is flame his amp...
Obviously switching from passive pickups to EMG's is going to change his tone, no matter what amp he's playing through, so the people saying it's not going to change anything are just ignorant. Even if it changes it for the worse, there is still going to be a difference.

I would give some advice, on your pickups, but I'm not an EMG or blackout fan anyway, so my advice would be to get niether, which isn't realy an answere to your question anyway.

best answer by far!
because if ur playing through a SS amp, active pickups wont sound much better. if you need to know though, i'd go with 81/60
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
The point is, the amp has a huge effect on your sound. The biggest effect, actually. Spiders are literally designed to make all guitars (and all pickups) sound exactly the same.

They may be designed for that, but I used to have a Spider3, and it doesn't do that at all.
I could play my Epi LP through it and then my Washburn A20, and they had to different sounds completly.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Despite that, we want his tone to sound BETTER
and the biggest step towards that is a new amp.

Than he can come ask about blackouts vs emgs.
Page 1 of 2